March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Thread Like Summary
Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#614222 04/26/2022 1:40 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Perhaps it's age, but I have developed some rather odd gun-cleaning biases. I scrub my dainty English 16 pretty much after each use when hunting, but I let my Turkish target stackbarrel sit for days after use (& sometimes very hard use) and...I must confess that I have been known to treat some of my pump shotguns almost as callously (heavy sigh). I'd never thought about this much before but I suspect it's a deference-thing being shown to the older(and hand-made & more-expensive) English gun over the machine-made units. I don't even sweat the cleaning all that much on my lovely little .410/28 Dickenson (it's much newer and Turkish as well). I certainly don't abuse it (and clean it immediately if hunting in inclement weather), but I clearly treat it differently. It's finishes and modern steels are significantly more-resistant to wear & tear than the 100 plus year-old gun (& is part of my attraction to it). Different horses for different courses as the old saying goes. Am I alone in this malady?
Liked Replies
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Stan: Appreciate the confirmation on the chrome-lined bores in the Turkish guns (I knew that, but had somehow forgotten it). In the world I grew up in, guns needed to be over-oiled because of the terrible humidity we experienced nearly year-round there. The downside of all that was lots of wrecked stock heads in some doubles (and even some pumps & lever guns). I got into the habit of storing guns barrels down to keep the excess oils from running down into the stocks and still do it to this day. The care & feeding components of many older guns is more-stringent than a lot of the more-modern stuff and I have responded accordingly. In dry climates, it's a bit of a no-brainer (a bore-snake and a quick wipe-down are all they need), but in more-damp places I'd be watching far more carefully. In the end, the cleaning habits ingrained by strict fathers (and/or the millitary) is still a very good policy.

There seems to be an emotional component to all this as well, as I notice that I treat some guns w/more affection than others. It's a wonderful combination of the art/history (& the price tag). I clearly love some guns for their utility and others for their art. On a sliding scale, all my firearms seem to fall somewhere on that pantheon.
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
I agree almost 100% with Stan's observations on gun cleaning, and feel that obsessive and repeated cleaning of already clean guns may indicate mental problems in some individuals.

The only slight deviation I have from Stan's ideas on gun cleaning is his use of RIG to protect the bores of black powder guns. I used to occasionally have slight after-rust with my muzzleloaders, no matter how carefully I cleaned and oiled the bores. A clean patch ran through the barrel a few months after cleaning would often be tinged with rust color. So I also began using RIG for longer term protection, which helped a lot. Then I switched from petroleum based patch and bullet lubes, and began using Thompson Center Natural Lube. Now I clean my black powder guns with nothing but hot water, dry the bores thoroughly, and give them a light coat of the same Thompson Center Natural Lube. My after-rust problems are a thing of the past.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.