April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Skeeterbd, MattH, Der Ami, Mark II, 1 invisible), 896 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, BrentD, Prof, dukxdog, eeb, Eric 375, GLS, John Roberts, MattH, Owenjj3, spring, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#614284 04/27/2022 4:58 PM
by dukxdog
dukxdog
What guns did you see you liked but didn't buy?

Sounds as vendors sold quite well.
Liked Replies
#614293 Apr 27th a 10:50 PM
by spring
spring
Found this one heartily looking for a new home and picked it up yesterday after getting it moved across the state line from NC on Sunday. Gave it a good cleaning today. So looking forward to following around some dogs with it in the fall.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]
6 members like this
#614499 May 4th a 07:40 PM
by FlyChamps
FlyChamps
My wife and I like the Fall Southern because we go to shoot and socialize with our SxS friends. The Fall shooting is better than the Spring because Rick has more land on which to set a better variety of targets.

If you want to drool over beautiful guns and accessories that the vendors bring go to the Spring Southern. If you want to shoot go to the Fall Southern. We attend and shoot at both and enjoy each for what it offers.

I hope both continue until I'm too old to shoot.
5 members like this
#614298 Apr 28th a 01:24 AM
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
Wow that is a beauty. My pass was hard at first, but easy in the end. I imported a gun in about 2016 from England and it was #2 of a pair including the original double case. Then, wandering around late Sunday afternoon, I spotted its twin. I haggled the vendor down to 49.5K and after a brief internal struggle made the rational decision and offered to sell mine alongside his if the new buyer wanted the pair and case. If it sells it will be a 2.5x return in 6 years and it will definitely justify some further purchases to celebrate my success.
1 member likes this
#614299 Apr 28th a 01:27 AM
by spring
spring
Originally Posted by bushveld
Spring;

Lovely looking Purdey. Tell us about it's heritage and it's specifications.

Regards;
Stephen Howell

Thank you, Stephen, I'm really excited that it worked out. Started looking at this gun when at the Southern last year. Found them a bit more motivated to sell this time.
It's a pretty basic 20 gauge with a splinter forearm, double triggers, and ejectors. 2 1/4 DAH, 1 9/16 DAC, and 14 9/16 LOP.
I have yet to figure out whose initials are on it. The dealer never learned though I believe did try to find out. In fact, I've seen some correspondence from Nick Harlow, the Gun Room manager at Purdey, that indicates that will not release that tidbit until a gun is 50 years old. Have a suggestion on all that?

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]
1 member likes this
#614303 Apr 28th a 10:11 AM
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
[ "...that indicates they will not release that tidbit until a gun is 50 years old. Have a suggestion on all that?" Spring]

I obtained the original buyer's identity on a Boss gun I once owned by purchasing a copy of the original build sheet on the gun which indicated by whom the order was made.
Might work on your new Purdey. Really beautiful gun by the way...Geo
1 member likes this
#614297 Apr 28th a 12:51 AM
by FlyChamps
FlyChamps
Damn Vic, that's one pretty Purdey. It was good to see you again in Sanford.
1 member likes this
#614338 Apr 28th a 11:12 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
I picked up a nice Purdey 20 bore a couple of years ago from a friend. It has three sets of barrels. The original 29" set and a 28" set added in 1928. Mine was made in 1921 and delivered to it's owner Christmas week of that year. #2 of a pair. He sent it back in 1928 for the second set of barrels and to have a single trigger installed. Purdey's second variant of their single trigger.
Somewhere around that time he had a third set of barrels made, a set of 25" from Westly Richards and so marked with their address and addressing the King at that time. I would only guess for driven grouse as the choking is open in one barrel and tight in the second.
The little Purdey has third bite, clip face as well.
When I asked Purdey about the gun I got all kinds of answers. I think most of the ones you deal with are just salesmen up front. I did get a letter though but the first letter was incorrect so I had to email them to get the correct information on the second email.
Cheers, Mike Proctor
1 member likes this
#614324 Apr 28th a 06:39 PM
by GLS
GLS
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I obtained the original buyer's identity on a Boss gun I once owned by purchasing a copy of the original build sheet on the gun which indicated by whom the order was made.
George, I thought you got the information from the Burpee's Seed Catalog, Tomato section. "Boss gun I once owned." That's a great line for a cocktail party, but we know the rest of the story. smile Gil
"
1 member likes this
#614325 Apr 28th a 07:04 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by GLS
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
George, I thought you got the information from the Burpee's Seed Catalog, Tomato section. "Boss gun I once owned." That's a great line for a cocktail party, but we know the rest of the story. smile Gil
"

Bwahahaha!

That story lives on in infamy! Good one Gil.
1 member likes this
#614495 May 4th a 06:47 PM
by eeb
eeb
Rick Hemingway is in the business of throwing targets. When/if the Fall event fails to make money for him it will stop. Until then it’s a great place to shoot and I hope it continues. Vendors would be a plus but it’s not as well attended
1 member likes this
#614467 May 3rd a 08:14 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
If you would definitely give them a call or drop them an email and let them know. It takes knowing the good and bad to make something a success. The last thing this hobby needs is something else going away right now.
The venue, not the event. Deep River is a very cramped site for parking and just overall space, They never change the targets either. Plenty of other nicer venues across the South to have this event. Providence Hill Farm in the Jackson< MS area, is a super venue, but the promoters may not be willing to pay their fee:

https://www.providencehillfarm.com/

JR
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.