April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Argo44, Roundsworth, Kip, 2 invisible), 851 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DAM16SXS, greener4me, Lorne, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#614645 05/10/2022 2:57 AM
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
I recently picked up an 11 bore percussion muzzleloader In fine original condition.She was declared fit for service by a reputable ‘Smith. The gun was described as a “lightweight” on the build sheet, “thin in the hand” and weighs in today at the specified 7 lbs. 2 oz. when she left the shop in 1851 With non-rebounding hammers.Nearly all information about muzzleloader hunting involves rifle hunting for large game. I’m planning on taking this antique out bird hunting this fall. I’ll probably do another post about working up loads and getting input once I’ve had some time at the pattern plate to try her out.

For those of you who hunt with a muzzleloader double shotgun, what is the correct procedure:Do you walk with the gun At half or un- cocked and capped off, Or wait to cock and/or Cap once the dog goes on point? Is it possible to be ready for the inevitable “snap shot”? I am trying to envision what I will experience in the field as I practice on the range.
Liked Replies
#614695 May 11th a 11:01 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Lorne
Real black powder makes a huge difference for wing shooting.

I'll take your word for that, Lorne. I've been shooting muzzleloaders of all kinds since about 1983 and have never shot anything but real black powder, and never will. So, I have nothing to compare it to.

It's worked well enough for me to kill a limit of doves, on occasions. One time a buddy and I were both shooting m/l side-by-sides on a shoot at his father's place. Mine was an original Powell 16 ga., and his was a modern 12 ga. replica. We were the only ones there using m/l(s), and were the first two people to limit out. That was cool.
2 members like this
#614663 May 10th a 02:04 PM
by Lorne
Lorne
Stanton's advice is excellent. Starr is a great starting point.

I hunt birds and train flushing dogs using a cap lock SxS. Having the caps fall off has not been a problem for me. Once the gun is loaded it really isn't that different from shooting a side by side. The half cock position was designed to be very safe, and it seems to work well, it is also faster to reach full cock from it and you won't accidentally end up on half cock on the shot.

Perhaps because most Spaniel flushes are pretty much snap shots, I have not been successful with cocking both triggers at once. I hunt with my thump on the right hammer and my trigger finger on the side of the guard. At flush, the response is about like pushing the safety forward as you mount the gun. (If the dog is clearly working a bird fairly close I do cock both barrels.) Since loading is fairly time consuming, having that second barrel ready for a follow up flush has often proved to very helpful, much more than two shots on one flush. Most often on woodcock, or preserve birds, sometimes on grouse. The bird will often be obscured by the cloud of smoke, so you may well not be able to make a quick second shot anyway.

Real black powder makes a huge difference for wing shooting. The substitutes lag, and the lag isn't consistent. Obtaining caps and powder is it's own challenge these days. I backed into muzzleloading fowling, but it is a lot of fun.
1 member likes this
#614648 May 10th a 03:33 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Get a copy of V. M. Starr's writings on m/l shotgunning. It's timeless.

Carry it capped, but at half cock. Make sure your caps are a gentle "slip fit" on your nipples, and squeeze the caps a tiny bit to flatten them just a little before putting them on the nipples. That way, they won't fall off of you tip the gun over sideways. Have the thumb across both hammers as you approach a point, and you can sweep both hammers back to full cock, with one move, as you begin the gun mount.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.