April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, SKB, Marks_21, Krag 1902), 221 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,464
Posts545,053
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, builder, DoubleTake, spring
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#615144 05/25/2022 11:44 PM
by spring
spring
Through the years, the locks on a sidelock will need some level of maintenance. No doubt a bit of cleaning of one with hand-detachable locks should be relatively easy...but what about a gun without such easy access? I bought a Purdey recently that doesn't have hand-detachable access. As I understand it, a Purdey would need access on both sides due to the location of their pins. Anyway, Purdey does not generally recommend that end-users clean their locks.... That being the case, is there a more reasonable option than sending the gun across the pond? And for that matter, how often should such a cleaning effort be made? Would it based on usage, time, or both?
Liked Replies
#615145 May 26th a 12:36 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Kings and landed gentry did them every year.

Plenty of gunsmiths here can do that work. Kirk Merrington, James Flynn, Dewey Vicknair, there are lots of them. I doubt side lock guns need maintenance more than about every 5-10 years with modern lube and reasonable care from the owner. A wipe down after use and keeping an eye on where the screw slots are goes a long way.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#615147 May 26th a 01:48 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
As I understand it the only difference between hand detachable sidelocks and those that are not is the need for a properly sized turn screw for those that are not. Hand detachable really means "screwdriver-less", in American terms. If you can acquire a properly fitted turn screw for your lock pins you can remove the locks and service them yourself.

And, I agree with Ted about the service interval. Barring submersion, or some other extreme conditions in usage, yearly is unnecessary.
1 member likes this
#615148 May 26th a 03:04 AM
by Brittany Man
Brittany Man
If you can remove & lubricate H & H style hand detachable locks you can remove & lubricate Purdey style locks assuming you have the ability to properly use (& fit to the slots) a screwdriver.

A very good book on the subject which covers servicing Purdey locks & more is Amateur Gunsmithing by Desmond Mills & Mike Barnes. ISBN 0 85115 455 7 & published by Boydell & Brewer Ltd PO Box 9, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 3DF.

Re. Annual servicing, If you don't get your guns rain soaked every outing as I've heard is the case in England you can probably back off a bit on the lock removal intervals & save wear & tear on the screw slots.

One reason I really prefer the H & H style hand detachable locks is the lack of screws for someone to bugger up.
1 member likes this
#615149 May 26th a 04:32 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Are you just wanting to remove the locks for inspection or to dry them off if they get some moisture in them? If that’s the case, like others have stated, that’s a fairly simple and straightforward thing to do if your very careful. There’s alot of nice sidelocks out there sporting evidence of poor assembly after the locks have been removed. Those dings, splinters, etc just aft of the lock plates is evidence enough that most folks should avoid taking them off just to have a peek.

Servicing or lubing the locks correctly will require a bit more than merely removing them. To correctly clean, lube, etc, the locks should be completely disassembled. In order to tear the locks down you’ll need the correct tools and there are plenty of things to bugger up. If you think about it, what’s the point of having perfectly clean and well lubed locks if the rest of the action is a filthy mess? Better to send it off to a competent gunsmith and have it stripped & cleaned every few years….more often if your hunting in harsh conditions. I don’t get caught in a lot of rainstorms when I’m out hunting, but every season I find myself hunting in more than a few days of sporadic drizzle, snow (mild to heavy) etc. and don’t forget what a rapid temperature change does to steel…..going from cold to warm will create condensation. Yep…..even on the inside your beloved gun.
If you spend the coin or plan on spending the coin for a gun of the highest quality, the maintenance plan should absolutely be figured into the expense.
1 member likes this
#615153 May 26th a 12:33 PM
by arrieta2
arrieta2
The recommendations of James Flynn and Kirk Merrington are spot on. I have know James for Over 30 years and Kirk almost as long.

Both are excellent choices.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
1 member likes this
#615242 May 28th a 05:51 PM
by Tom Davis
Tom Davis
I highly recommend reaching out to Dan Morgan, Fine Firearms Restoration, VT. 8024574828

I spent the better part of a day at his shop this spring getting a Fox A grade hook to latch correctly. I learned a ton from him as he fixed the Fox and showed me several very nice Scottish and British guns, and particularly the quality of the finish on the interior parts.

He specializes in Scottish and British best guns and is a top notch guy.

-Tom
1 member likes this
#615483 Jun 3rd a 05:41 AM
by Dr. P
Dr. P
I have had work done by most of the gunsmiths recommended above over the last 25 years in this hobby and agree with all of the recommendations. One man that has not been mentioned that should be is JJ Perodeau in Oklahoma. JJ is a fully trained European gunsmith who not only works on many fine shotguns but also many double rifles which is unique. He also turns work around much more quickly than many other smiths. Here is his website: https://jjperodeau.com

As to the issue at hand, I now have every newly purchased gun stripped and cleaned by my local gunsmith unless I have bought it from a shop that has already done so prior to marketing the gun.
1 member likes this
#615563 Jun 6th a 02:11 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
This is what some locks will look like after sitting on the gun for a few decades without the occasional strip and clean. The locks should be completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed. Just pulling the locks off, a few squirts of oil and scrub won’t make them function correctly and efficiently.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

What they should look like after being properly cleaned, polished and lubed:

1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.