April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (griz, Longknife, 1 invisible), 1,051 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,128
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
battle, Ghostrider, John Roberts, mc, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, tut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#617628 08/04/2022 4:11 AM
by marty weatherup
marty weatherup
I recently acquired a Cogswell and Harrison 12 bore. I got it at a really reasonable price largely because it had a 3/4”acrylic extension that had some chips and no butt pad. It is cast for a lefty which I am. I shoot it well when I remember it has more than one trigger. It looks great other than the extension.

It fits me well at the current LOP so I am leaning toward an NECG brown 3/4” quick mount pad to replace the extension. Would this be appropriate for an English double? Your thoughts.
Liked Replies
#617674 Aug 4th a 06:07 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
A pad doesn't change balance enough to matter one bit.
JR
3 members like this
#617755 Aug 6th a 11:41 AM
by AZMike
AZMike
I am a trapshooter,
I care about pads on my shotguns. I will shoot 200 targets in a day. My 27 yard handicap gun is set up with a KickEzz all black, the all black looks good with the AZMEX Mesquite stock and the Turnbull color case on the 70's TM1. I shoot 1 1/8 oz loads cause that's the most allowed.
My EELL Beretta is set up for doubles with a KickEzz although I shoot 1 ounce I absolutely hate a pad that slips or slides on my shoulder. My old Remingtons Pigeons/FE are mostly Hawkins pads sanded for no-slip. Had a Silvers pad but it was hard as an adobe block. I shoot my guns and don't worry about the weight of the pad, I like just a little Butt Heavy, I think I have a roll of nickels in the Beretta?
2 members like this
#617637 Aug 4th a 11:41 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Dustin, do you have any experience with the NECG quick change pad mount? Specifically, does the channel mount have to be inlet into the butt? I'd like to see some pics of guns with a pad mounted on this "kit".
1 member likes this
#617678 Aug 4th a 07:31 PM
by tut
tut
Lots of folks I know like these. They weight almost nothing. Some folks cover them in leather:

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=338
1 member likes this
#617684 Aug 4th a 10:18 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by spring
I’m no expert but here is what H&H is putting on guns these days:

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The actual pad underneath that leather is a pachmayr old English btw (if that pad was installed in the states).
1 member likes this
#617691 Aug 4th a 11:23 PM
by spring
spring
Thank you, Stan. No, Guy Davies, their fellow at the H&H store in Dallas handled it for me. Guy used to run their NYC store for a while before moving to Dallas 20 or more years ago. Really nice guy.
1 member likes this
#617683 Aug 4th a 10:10 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
For reference:

Jostam HyGun - 7.1 oz.

Hawkins Repro Straight slots - 7.2 oz.

Hawkins Repro Trestle (hearts) - 5.7 oz.

Hawkins Original Trestle (hearts) - 5.5 0z.

Jostam No-Kick Coming - 3.7 oz.

Leather Kick Killer Lace-on (Large) 4.8 oz.

I have several Silver brand pads on hand but haven't weighed any of them yet.

Note that these are out-of-box weights and that much of it will be lost due to grinding down to fit.

IMO, anyone who worries over changing the balance significantly by adding a properly fitted pad needs a shrink, and shooting lessons, and might be a trapshooter, too.
1 member likes this
#617658 Aug 4th a 02:07 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Dustin, do you have any experience with the NECG quick change pad mount? Specifically, does the channel mount have to be inlet into the butt? I'd like to see some pics of guns with a pad mounted on this "kit".

Yes. A friends Citori has that system installed. Dennis Earl Smith fitted it up. It’s a pretty neat system, really positive locking for all the pads fitted. The locking system is two pegs/studs that the pads bases slide into….very positive, no movement at all and very easy to change pads. My friend requires an extremely long length of pull and has pads fitted for both summer and winter shooting.

And to the guys recommending silvers pads….while I’m all about traditional etc, bottom line is silvers pads suck. They’re hard and do absolutely nothing for recoil management (if that’s what you have a pad for, some people just install a pad for a longer lop….in that case, it doesn’t really matter).
And which silvers pad is more traditional? Orange? Brick red? Nub or no nub? How polished should it be? All Silvers pad installations aren’t the same….I’ve seen some really poorly shaped, polished silvers that did not look right. And a silvers pad will cost more to install over other types of pads. All of this should be considered.
Some of the finest guns out there are fitted with pachmayr old English and NECG pads. Nothing “un-proper” about it.
1 member likes this
#617672 Aug 4th a 03:46 PM
by marty weatherup
marty weatherup
Originally Posted by ed good
a rubber pad will add weight and change the balance of the gun...as you do not like the plastic, replace it with scabbed on wood?...

Thanks but no thanks. The scabbed on wood extensions are almost as unattractive as the plastic extension. At least to me. I’ll fit a nice looking pad and deal with the ounce or two difference. If there is any.
1 member likes this
#617737 Aug 6th a 02:21 AM
by old colonel
old colonel
Stanton, I see your point. I know guys who can shoot a round of skeet with a 28in M101 then switch to someone’s 24in Citori upland special and get equally good scores. My Dad could do stuff like that. I am not that guy, never will be.

Your ability to tolerate the variables and hit does you credit.

I agree with you that I am obsessive about balance, and much much more than is worth listing now.

That said when I go down a gun table and lift six or twelve different guns to shoulder when I feel what I like, experience has shown me I will shoot it well.

Once I started messing with fit it really changed my shooting for the better.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.