April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Geo. Newbern, John Roberts, mc, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Have to say I didn’t see that coming out of British Sporting Arms.

Jonny’s continuing “Coming to America” series has been interesting and entertaining but I found his stop at the BSA shop in Millbrook, NY, fascinating (@ 17:00).

And I notice the TGS logo continues. Do we suppose his keeping company with rebellious colonials has cured him of his Proofhouse thinking? 😉
Liked Replies
by GLS
GLS
The Benelli. It was a happy day I bought my first SBE which lasted until it wouldn't cycle after the first shot out of the box. The dealer replaced it. The next happy Benelli day was when I got rid of the replacement. What other shotgun has had so many documented ftf's that it has earned a title when the bolt unexpectedly rotates out of battery? The "Benelli Click". BTW, Jonny, the author of the video above, has a video wherein he shows how to completely strip down the trigger and ejector assemblies of 680-686 series with a Leatherman tool with commentary of the genius of the design that all parts can be purchased inexpensively and replaced without requiring fitting to properly work. When I first decided to buy my Beretta O/U, it was only after consulting my LGS's owner and gunsmith who sold both the Browning and Beretta that Beretta was far better to source parts than was Browning but that the Beretta needed far less repairs than the Browning O/U. OMMV. Gil
3 members like this
by Chantry
Chantry
Everyone is wrong, the Vickers machine gun is the most reliable gun ever built. But since it isn't a shotgun, its probably OT for this thread. grin

"In 1963 in Yorkshire, a class of British Army armorers put one Vickers gun through probably the most strenuous test ever given to an individual gun. The base had a stockpile of approximately 5 million rounds of Mk VII ammunition which was no longer approved for military use. They took a newly rebuilt Vickers gun, and proceeded to fire the entire stock of ammo through it over the course of seven days. They worked in pairs, switching off at 30 minute intervals, with a third man shoveling away spent brass. The gun was fired in 250-round solid bursts, and the worn out barrels were changed every hour and a half. At the end of the five million rounds, the gun was taken back into the shop for inspection. It was found to be within service spec in every dimension."

Link: https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...n-is-one-of-the-best-firearms-ever-made/
3 members like this
by gunmaker
gunmaker
Can’t say I’ve been a fan of Benelli either. From first hand experience of multiple Benellis turning into single shots on a hunt, all owned and maintained by different people. To well known cycling issues that are resolved by installing aftermarket sure-cycle kits. To the Benelli click from accidentally setting the gun down too hard on its butt, or brushing the bolt handle on brush or the blind while bringing the gun up to shoulder. POI relative to POA issues, noted by many authors. I’ll pass on rotary bolt shotguns.

A5’s have their issues as well, but I’d regard them to be much more reliable than a Benelli.

Beretta 390’s we’re great, as were 391’s. The carrier issue was easily resolved on some 391’s.

A late Super X 1 is my favorite clay semi, especially with aftermarket SS parts. SX2 and SX3 are great guns, aside from the rare occurrence of the spring in the piston failing.
2 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Benellis do suck. I’ve owned 2. A M1 Super 90 and a SBE. Both bought at the same time, in the early 2000’s, brand new. I read the hype, and bought into them hook line and sinker. Benelli click is real, and it’s one of the most irritating & aggravating shotgun problems I’ve ever encountered. Those two guns messed up more hunts than I’d care to admit to. They are the Chauchat of shotguns. Over hyped & over priced junk. After a year of continuous disappointment, I sold them back to the same shop I bought them from (Scheels-Omaha) and bought a Winchester super X2. Have never looked back. That X2 has been serious waterfowling for its entire life…from the Platte River, Rainwater basins, cut corn fields, Mississippi River, Kenai peninsula, Utah salt marshes, Idaho mud & silt, etc.
it has never failed. I bet a Benelli has dreams about being as reliable as that clapped out X2. Funny thing was, Scheels sold those two junk Benelli’s pretty much the same day I sold them back to them. I’ve always felt sorry for the poor saps that bought them.
I’ve got a Beretta 390 that I’d say is about as good as the X2. Basically I’d take pretty much anything over a Benelli.

A-5’s are rock solid. Always have been. Especially when the operator knows how to clean it and set it up. I’ve never owned a dud A-5. Ever. Over lube it, problems. Oil the mag tube, problems. Over tighten the forend cap, problems. Don’t do these things…..it’s as reliable as a ma’ deuce.
2 members like this
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
I don't have 24 minutes to watch this crap.

However, if Miroku WAS the 'most reliable ' or even on the short list, several vendors would not offer firing pin and spring kits for them.

They make a decent gun, a servicebale gun, one you can usually keep running yourself.

i had one that would misfire the under barrel enough to be annoying at 1,000 shells fired.

The most reliable brand in my limited experience is Benelli.

Read it and weep.
1 member likes this
by LeverHead
LeverHead
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
I don't have 24 minutes to watch this crap.

I love reading stuff like this on hobby Internet forums.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
An inertia gun requires less maintenance than any gas gun, provided you don't try to feed them Kent steel shells which would likely induce a failure in any shotgun ever made.

That has just not been my experience at all. My old 390 will just go, and go and go. Without cleaning if necessary. It is the only autoloader I've ever bought, and when I did I asked about cleaning it. I was told "You know how, when you hold it up and turn it from end to end, you hear something that sounds like it slides and stops with a ping? When it doesn't do that anymore it might be time for a cleaning." That was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but fairly accurate. I was duck hunting with it in the Bayou Meto one morning and got sick. I headed for the boat, some 60-80 yds. away, and passed out and fell face forwards into the crotch deep water. My 390 was being held in both hands and went under, and down into the silt and muck on the bottom. The cold water woke me and I got up and made my way to the boat where I eventually recovered from my brief sickness. The action was frozen shut. I poured mud, water, leaves and silt out of the barrel, checked it, worked the action a few times, and went back to killing ducks. It never failed to cycle one time. Later that day it got a complete strip, clean and lube. Even the action spring had trash in it.

I have seen too many Benellis fail to cycle on a round of clays to agree with your statement. And BTW, my old Super X2, that I won in a sporting clays tournament, would shoot a round (100) of Kent Estates without any attention at all. JMEYMMV.
1 member likes this
by eeb
eeb
The Miroku guns have more “class” about them compared to the Brownings. They just look better, plus they come with fixed chokes.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.