April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Cold Iron, John Roberts, liverwort, Ted Schefelbein, Tom Findrick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#618557 08/23/2022 10:56 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
My ol' reliable Remington 552 Speedmaster with CCI HV short hollow points still works great. Very quiet, very deadly. Two head shots in 80 ft pine in my front yard in past 24 hours. Also, cannot say enough about the $100 Hawke 3x9 scope on it. What's your choice of firearm?
JR
Liked Replies
#618560 Aug 23rd a 11:47 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
Anschutz 54 sporter with Kahles rimfire scope. Extremely accurate gun.
2 members like this
#618559 Aug 23rd a 11:36 PM
by Brian
Brian
Right now I run a Ruger American Heavy Barrel, 4x12 Bushnell scope, RWS subsonic Hollow points and a suppressor. I lazed my bird feeder and its exactly 17 yards to the tree. so I zeroed at 17 yds. I can shoot their eye out . The RWS is super accurate and suppressed is quieter than an air rifle.

my next one that I have to get set up and zeroed is a Vudoo Model Sinister 22 Bolt action, HB, with Vortex 5x25 PST II scope and suppressor. initial testing indicates one hole at 50 yds. better be for the price they get for them
1 member likes this
#618564 Aug 24th a 12:51 AM
by liverwort
liverwort
My Remington 541 with CCI Quiet LR length will hold a red squirrel brain size group out to 25 yards. That is the maximum range required. These will also penetrate a half-inch piece of plywood at that range and are as titled, quiet.

While it has a terrible trigger, I will offer that Aguilla 60 grain subsonics will cycle in a Ruger 10-22, but with the trigger, as it is I haven't figured out a purpose.

Just to maintain my status here on the board I'll mention too that red squirrels are good eating and much easier to skin than greys.
1 member likes this
#618565 Aug 24th a 01:27 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I use a Hamilton boys rifle, a water bottle, and cb caps.
1 member likes this
#618577 Aug 24th a 12:35 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
My 1948 era M63 Winchester 23" barrel, Weaver 4x scope and CCI mini-mags-- as we used to call accurate rifles in the USMC, it's a "dinger" Old bit of wisdom- "If you want to be a good deer hunter, first become a very good squirrel hunter. RWTF
1 member likes this
#618568 Aug 24th a 02:36 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by John Roberts
My ol' reliable Remington 552 Speedmaster with CCI HV short hollow points still works great. Very quiet, very deadly. Two head shots in 80 ft pine in my front yard in past 24 hours. Also, cannot say enough about the $100 Hawke 3x9 scope on it. What's your choice of firearm?
JR

Unless I am mistaken, John, I gave you a recommendation on the 552, long ago, on the old Shooting Sportsman board. My copy, a BDL version from perhaps 1975, is at least as accurate as my 581 Remington .22 bolt gun. Shooting standard velocity Eley solid points, the LR version, yields very satisfying accuracy.

Dad’s (now, my son’s) Remington 241 is an also ran compared to the other two, but, as a takedown gun, it is accurate enough to pot bunnies and squirrels. I’ve done it, just not recently.

70s vintage K4 on the 552. Same vintage 4X Marksman on the 581, and a Bushnell 1.5 X 5 on the 241. The scope is no longer optional for me.

My 552 replaced a Ruger 10-22, and, at the time, the Remington was a revelation. Full sized, good trigger, truly able to eat any ammunition I had, and, as a kid that was a motley collection of garage sale and end of season closeout stuff from Target, or, the Holiday gas station.

Target used to sell ammunition.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#618570 Aug 24th a 05:56 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
I was using an air rifle (GAMO Whisperer) but the scope on it became problematic so... I reverted back to a low end Mossberg single-shot and sub-sonic .22s. Need to work on that air gun.
1 member likes this
#618585 Aug 24th a 03:09 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Unless I am mistaken, John, I gave you a recommendation on the 552, long ago, on the old Shooting Sportsman board.
Best,
Ted

Yes you did, Ted. Thanks again.
JR
1 member likes this
#618592 Aug 24th a 05:34 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I was using an air rifle (GAMO Whisperer) but the scope on it became problematic so... I reverted back to a low end Mossberg single-shot and sub-sonic .22s. Need to work on that air gun.

You HAVE to use an air gun specific scope on an air rifle. They will destroy a typical rifle scope in short order. Do no try to cheat this.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#618574 Aug 24th a 10:43 AM
by Jusanothajoe
Jusanothajoe
I live in the city limits of a small town and have around 20-30 acres of woods behind my house.
I have a bird feeder 18 yards out me back door, I quit counting at 400+ squirrels killed a few years ago.
My weapons of choice are air rifles, several break barrels, but my killing machine is a .22 PCP, it is very very accurate and whisper quiet.
1 member likes this
#618599 Aug 24th a 09:43 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
One reasons chipmunks and red squirrels eat the coating from electrical circuit wiring is that the coatings are made from a soybean extract-- the little buggers are attracted to that--RWTF
1 member likes this
#618614 Aug 25th a 12:39 PM
by craigd
craigd
Nice pictures C I. I have a different version of the CZ 457 that's become my 22lr fun bolt rifle by a mile. Right now it has too much scope on it, fun for the bench but bulky. I have stashes of good ammo, but I pretty much shoot that red box SK, and CCI standard velocity. Aguila standard velocity though has surprised me as being similar to the CCI and may throw less fliers for me, when it comes to cheaper ammo.
1 member likes this
#618613 Aug 25th a 11:54 AM
by Cold Iron
Cold Iron
Up until a house went in near me this Spring a couple of CZ's, Varmint and MTR.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Do have a bunch of caps and shorts but mainly shoot subsonic target ammo

Silencer is still in BATF jail has been for more than a 100 days now so much for the e-file speeding up the process.

Got tired of the springers so earlier this year when the house went in finally broke down and got a Benjamin PCP Kratos 22 and HP compressor. Should have done it years ago, first seen them at the 96 Olympics at Atlanta. I give Grays a pass but reds and chippies are fair game. All have been head shots and anti dramatic with DRT and no fanfare, they expire on the spot.

Took an adjustable leg sawhorse and cut a bench top out of a piece of 2x4 plywood and shoot off the deck most nights at a Benchrest target.

Haven't cleaned the mean green target yet but that is on me, not the gun. 60 yards is about my max range this time of year with vegetation come winter that will increase a bit.

Friend of mine jumped on board couple of months ago with a FX Crown after hearing me talk about how much fun the PCP is. Yesterday he sent me a picture of 20 shots at 100 yards with his Crown.

Mine is plenty of gun for my needs however in a year or 2 when FX gets the slug thing tuned I might end up with a 600mm Impact. Just because, can't say I really need it over what I currently have. But the same could be said for my shotguns in the safe. And closets. And corners of the house...
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.