March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Birdog, BrentD, Prof, Cameron, dogon, LGF, liverwort, SKB, spring, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
Returned yesterday from our annual float hunt for moose in Alaska. Didn't see many moose due to lots of wolves but we were successful in getting our two. Meat for the next year.
Liked Replies
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Too, I learned it is better to hunt Moose on a float trip rather than being dropped off by a Bush Plane on a Mountain top. The Moose are eating the Willow trees & will be found near the wetlands.
rse

There are a lot of advantages of a drop trip too. Both styles of hunting have there pluses and minuses. We drop camped into the Yukon Delta and killed 2.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd love to do a float trip someday, but I would probably do another drop camp first.

Nothing is as good as moose meat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
4 members like this
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
Both ended up in the water. We always bring a honda winch. Pulls them right up the bank for dry processing. I've shot 4 or 5 over the years in the water. Have never processed one in the water. lol
2 members like this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Much respect for subsistence hunters. It is a matter of eating or not eating for them. Others, who hunt just for the body count, and we all know a few of them, get no pass from me. You eat what you kill in my book, or do not shoot it. I refuse to go sea duck hunting because I have eaten them and do not find them tasty shall we say. The hunt is challenging but since I wont eat them I wont shoot them. Give me most ducks, geese or even a pile of quail or dove and I am happy. Glad you got your moose, they are excellent table fare. Must have been a neat trip that many here would love to take.
1 member likes this
by ellenbr
ellenbr
Originally Posted by Mike Harrell
I'm too old to like sleeping on the ground. We take cots, air mattress, and folding chairs.

I am too. The 1st night I tired a cot & I switched to a mattress, which I forgot to self-inflate. It was indeed miserable. But after I remembered to inflate my mattress and put a tarp down, it was great sleep. We had some novel folding chairs but there is just so much you can ferry via Bush Plane to an old Gold Mine path. And then you are space limited on a raft. With all that kit on it, it was a Bear to navigate.

But with all that dry float wood on the rock bars, I could make a fire one in about 10 minutes one could see from the Space Station, without Boy Scout fluid.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 member likes this
by ellenbr
ellenbr
I had always wanted to harvest some Harlequin Ducks and we floated right by some juvenile Harlequins the day before the season opened. Then after waterfowl season opened, of course they weren't to be found. Mostly say Shoves & Mergansers. Salmon numbers were very low so the Bear were eating Cranberries and headed to the mountains for a long Winter's rest. Saw lots of large Moose tracks but only found a paddle / shed. Very interesting trip for sure. I refer to it as the Aniak Suicide Safari 2022.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 member likes this
by ellenbr
ellenbr
Also, one would always find Black Bear & Ravens @ the land fill. I spent quite some time w/ the Game Warden and so I asked him, What is the difference between a Crow & a Raven?? He replied that is a good question and the Raven is larger. I was still perplexed as Ravens were thick as thieves, but protected. They are huge opportunists.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 member likes this
by Cameron
Cameron
Where I lived, Bethel, the city dump had numerous ravens and a lesser number of crows, but the dominate bird at the dump was the seagull! Some friends and I started calling them dump chickens! And, I hated the plastic grocery bags! After a big wind, which happened often enough, the darn bags were strewn across the tundra for seemingly miles!

Ravens are very opportunistic and a very smart bird. Where I originally grew up in N ID, our property borders a small rural golf course, I'd be walking the property (mostly timbered) and find golf balls a long way from the course and think...no way someone could drive a ball this far! I asked my dad what he thought about that, and he indicated that he thought they were ravens that would pick the balls up off the course, thinking they may be a food source and when they realized they weren't, they'd drop the ball. I guess as good an explanation as any!

Sounds like a good trip Raimey, glad you had an opportunity to experience the area on a what sounds like a cool trip! Cool rifle Brent and a good-looking bull,,,,congrats!
1 member likes this
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
we take a battery powered sawsall to help dress out the moose. We never gut one anymore. Saawsall with 4 batteries will do two moose including cutting the antlers off.
1 member likes this
by ellenbr
ellenbr
Neat to know on the battery powered saw. I hadn't thought of that.

I heard many things about Bethel & that it was the place to be. Lots of Koreans and Korean restaurants, with Albanian Cabbies and Filipinos brought in as teachers. Seemed to be a thriving metro of 3k folks?

The Yup'ik term for a spent Salmon was something like Methluk or Muthluk??? I heard them use the terms on humans they considered to be in a similar state???

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
1 member likes this
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
I've been told that Bethel has the most cabs per capita than any place on earth. Not sure if that's true.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.