March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, Dale May, SKB, 1 invisible), 294 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
battle, BrentD, Prof, Dan S. W., eeb, graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, liverwort, mc, Run With The Fox, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#619486 09/19/2022 10:35 PM
by ed good
ed good
over the years, many thousands of pre ww2 double guns were made with chambers less than 2 3/4", which is the standard length for most shotgun shells these days...

have noticed that if gun with lengthen chambers is of english make, then some here make a big deal about it...

why is that? so long as there is sufficent metal left in front of the chambers for safe shooting, what difference does it make?
Liked Replies
#619597 Sep 21st a 05:28 PM
by battle
battle
Ed is only bringing this up cause he has some English guns for sale for once.
5 members like this
#619582 Sep 21st a 12:41 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Any gun that has safely endured 100 years of any load available in a hardware store should be able to endure another shot. However, if you take a bunch of metal out of the inside of the bore, all bets are off.
3 members like this
#619590 Sep 21st a 02:19 PM
by mc
mc
No edd do some work yourself.
3 members like this
#619533 Sep 20th a 02:25 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
I will not take metal out of the inside of any shotgun barrel. I don't care how short the chambers are, I can make shotgun shells that will work just fine. Sherman Bell's actual comment on long shells in short chambers is "The pressure rise in very small. Shoot shells that don't exceed the pressure range that is proper for the gun, regardless of the length of the shell." Using that thinking, I load and shoot 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2" chambers when I feel like it, but load them to low pressure and reasonable shot charge. Right now, I'm way ahead in loading 2 1/2" shells, have plenty, so I don't worry about 2 3/4" shells. By the way, my 375 Ponsness Warren is a standard 2 3/4" loader with a sizing die that I made myself from a standard 2 3/4" die. That is the only modification and didn't cost me a cent. I probably paid about $65.00 for the loader 35 or 40 years ago.
2 members like this
#619490 Sep 19th a 11:42 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Ed, if you haven’t noticed yet, originality is prized among collectors of vintage guns. None more so than American collectors of American makes. Lengthening the chambers is messing with originality, regardless of being safe or not. It’s not any more complicated than that and the quest for originality covers all aspects of the gun, not just the chambers.
1 member likes this
#619502 Sep 20th a 01:39 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Too easy to find proper loads on the internet or roll them yourself. And as we have covered many times it is not how long but how high pressure they are that is important. A 600Jr and a hundred dollars of stuff will make a lot of proper loads for shorter chambered guns. So why ream them out and hope they still have enough metal to shoot too high pressure loads?
1 member likes this
#619509 Sep 20th a 01:59 AM
by mc
mc
It takes a gun out of proof and Stan is correct,and edd is fishing for something
1 member likes this
#619628 Sep 22nd a 10:26 AM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Back in the mid-70's, I bought a between the wars Sauer 16ga as a graduation present to myself when I completed my MA. It had short chambers. I had them lengthened, after which I fired hundreds of high brass pheasant loads through that gun. Back then, a lot of gunsmiths did it regularly. But back then, we didn't have very many gunsmiths--nor gun dealers--who specialized in classic doubles. Thanks to places like this, and to Double Gun Journal, pretty much anyone who has more than a passing interest in a classic sxs knows better now.
1 member likes this
#619626 Sep 22nd a 04:11 AM
by mc
mc
It's of great consequence to someone wanting a original in proof gun whether uk Spanish Belgian French you must be trying to hawk out of proof guns and looking for a pass from the academy .
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.