April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, canvasback, CJ Dawe, Geo. Newbern, GLS, graybeardtmm3, Hammergun, LGF, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell, Toby Barclay
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#619771 09/25/2022 6:04 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Tomorrow morning my quest continues.

I am attempting a McNab.

Those who don’t know what that is, per John Buchan’s book, it is the taking of an Atlantic salmon on the fly, a brace (two) of red grouse, and then finish it up by stalking and killing a Red stag. All to be done in one day.

A “Grand Macnab” includes the bedding of the cook after the initial event.

Weather looks promising. I am in shape. Let’s see if I can get the fish by 10.
Liked Replies
#619784 Sep 25th a 09:05 PM
by Nitrah
Nitrah
Years ago, I asked a friend acquainted with a McNab what I should call my personal trio of 18 holes of golf, 100 clays and getting lucky with my wife. He said that would be a Unicorn
3 members like this
#619852 Sep 27th a 03:48 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Part 1
A brace of Red grouse
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 members like this
#619895 Sep 28th a 11:02 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
There’s a group of deer on this hillside.
Crummy phone pic.
Wind 30mph left to right, full factor
They are sitting in the bowl on left side
Stalk began at far right lower corner
We followed the bench then slid up the burn,
Stag was roaring a little.
We set up about mid pic by the white outcropping
When he turned sideways in the bracken I removed him from the gene pool.

Keeper sent apprentice up to gralloch and drag him out.

We had a fish to catch, and it was 4:30pm

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from ]
3 members like this
#619824 Sep 27th a 12:41 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
In Minnesota, it is a pheasant, a woodcock, and a ruffed grouse.

Royal Macnab is hitting a deer with the pickup on the way home.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#619857 Sep 27th a 06:29 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Part 2

“Here fishy, fishy…”

[Linked Image from ]
2 members like this
#620150 Oct 4th a 12:54 AM
by LGF
LGF
CZ - I hope your daughter is basking in the glow of the richly deserved Nobel - you must be very proud. The explosive development of ancient DNA technology is revolutionizing our understanding of human prehistory, and the Paabo lab has led the way.
2 members like this
#619781 Sep 25th a 08:07 PM
by eeb
eeb
Good luck. Do you have a picture of the cook?
1 member likes this
#619820 Sep 26th a 11:46 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Wonder what it would be here in GA. Does it have to be three species, or could it be more?
1 member likes this
#619829 Sep 27th a 04:41 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
I think it needs to be from the sea, air and land. In the South it might be a mess of fish like crappy, a limit of dove or quail and a whitetail or you could substitute a gator for either the sea or land choice. Pictures would be nice Stan.
1 member likes this
#619833 Sep 27th a 11:21 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by KY Jon
I think it needs to be from the sea, air and land. In the South it might be a mess of fish like crappy, a limit of dove or quail and a whitetail or you could substitute a gator for either the sea or land choice. Pictures would be nice Stan.

That makes sense to me. I could do it all within earshot of my house. Lessee ............ within an easy walk from my carport I can catch bass, crappie, bream, chain pickerel (jackfish) ----- and take wild quail, dove, wood duck, squirrel, rabbit, deer, wild hogs and turkey. This is going to require some thinking to develop a plan.

I have also been thinking of tying this together with the taking of all the game with a .410. Fixing to get some TSS loaded up to use on the woodies.

If I decide to try to pull it off pics will be a certainty, Jon. Thanks.
1 member likes this
#619843 Sep 27th a 01:26 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stan, if you want to stand out you might noodle a gator. Bet few have tried that and even fewer achieved it. You could be the first for miles around. A video of you noodling a gator would get a lot of views here I’m sure.
1 member likes this
#620144 Oct 3rd a 11:04 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I will be wearing a new set of cuff links next season.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.