March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mills, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, Jimmy W, John E, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Parabola, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#619785 09/25/2022 10:20 PM
by Vol423
Vol423
I just bought another Darne, this time a 16 gauge, because I keep hoping I'll find one that I can shoot. I like the design. Regarding safety mechanisms, I have seen the ones with a side safety that turns, and safeties that act like cross bolt safeties. This gun has a turn lever type safety with the actuator on the left side. As a left handed shooter, I believe that I would prefer the actuator on the right side of the action. Can these safeties be reversed and converted from cross bolt to lever safety and back? I know about cast in a Darne and this one is pretty neutral.

I'm sure that Ted can shed some light on this issue. Are there others? Is there a gunsmith with expertise on Darne shotguns?
Liked Replies
#619789 Sep 25th a 11:02 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
I’m a southpaw and I prefer the toggle safety on the left side. In my opinion….it’s definitely not a type of safety that you flick off on the rise no matter what side of the block it’s mounted on. It’s more like a flick it off as you’re walking in, at least that’s how I’ve done it for 20+ yrs.
1 member likes this
#620376 Oct 8th a 04:42 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
I’ve never owned a Greener patent gun with the side safety, but, as a lefty, the guns I handled felt wonderful!

I figured if I got a 16 gauge Greener with the left safety, I’d have a gun nobody asked to shoot, with ammunition nobody wanted to bum off me.

Never got the chance, but, would have loved to try.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#620378 Oct 8th a 05:24 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Vol423
You'll hate that Greener safety. I do and I'm a lefty. The Germans adopted them for drillings. The Swedes hated them so much on drillings that the Germans had to make top tang safeties and they called them Swedish safeties. I have only one drilling with a Greener safety. It has a bar mounted on the safety. It protrudes upward so that I can flick it off with my thumb.

Well. I’m a southpaw and I absolutely LOVE the Greener side safety. Works well for me. I own both a G-gun and FH25, working the side safety on a Greener has never been an issue for me or for the few other southpaws that I know who use Greener guns equipped with that safety.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.