March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., canvasback, 3 invisible), 803 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Drew Hause, Run With The Fox, SKB, Stanton Hillis, SXS 40
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ed good
ed good
how many can we list...here are some that come to mind...

frank forster, remember he shot a double muzzle loader, english, as i recall him sayin...

william harden foster, a 16 ga hammer gun, parker?

burt spiller, 20 ga parker vh...

george bird evans, 12 g fox sterlingworth and then a 12 ga purdy, willed to him by dr norris...

frank woolner, custom win 59 12 ga auto loader...ugh..

cecil heacox, 20 ithaca nid...

jim fergus, 16 ga sterlingworth...

charles fergus, 20 ga skb, later an english box lock...

your turn...
Liked Replies
by mc
mc
Elmer fudd double barrel gun
1 member likes this
by ed good
ed good
in addition to being a writer, corey ford was a grouse hunter...

his story, "the road to tinkhamtown", is loved by many...

and there really is such a place in nh, south and east of cardigan mountain...i know, my pals princie and maggie and i found the ruins...

and this is for those of you who love the new england woods in early october...

1 member likes this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Reading "The Old Man and the Boy" at age 13, and the Boy Scouts, changed the direction of my life
The Old Man used a never named pump
The Boy's first gun was a 20g loaner from his grandfather, but his Christmas gift was a 16g Sauer
https://biggamelogic.com/ruarks-guns/
1 member likes this
by Researcher
Researcher
Writers Major Chas. Askins and Elmer Keith had more shotguns than fingerprints on Liz Taylor's a.....
1 member likes this
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Gene was the guest of honor at one of the Iowa Governor's annual pheasant hunts. Usually a dozen or so teams of hunters. Unfortunately, I was not on Gene's team. But I spotted him wandering around as some of the other hunters were still lingering over lunch. I introduced myself and struck up a conversation with him. He indicated that he wished those slow pokes would hurry up and finish eating. He wanted to get out there and shoot some more pheasants.

I had a somewhat embarrassing moment on one of those hunts. The governor and his youngest son were having a friendly contest to see who would shoot the most birds. At the end of the day when we gathered to report our results, the DNR's MC asked the governor to report on the results of his contest. I'd hunted with the governor that afternoon, with my shorthair Blitz providing our team's canine support. Governor Branstad had a real flurry of action. He killed one rooster over a Blitz point. Another one flushed as Blitz was making the retrieve. He also killed that. Then there was another flush from our left. I was to the governor's left and I looked for him to shoot. Didn't look like he was going to, so I pulled the trigger on that one, right before he did. The governor reported that he was down 2 to 0 at our lunch break, but that he got 3 birds to his son's zero on the afternoon hunt. At which point our Pheasants Forever guide piped up: "I'm sorry, governor . . . but Brown killed that 3rd bird." No hard feelings I guess. They kept inviting me to those hunts.
1 member likes this
by Researcher
Researcher
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Scroll down about 1/2 way here for a partial list of Jack and Eleanor's shotguns
She had a 20g and he had a 4E NID
https://sportingroad.com/2018/07/11/reading-the-legendary-library-left-by-sportsman-jack-oconnor/

Eleanor quail hunting in AZ about 1938 with a double. She also had a Model 21

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sonora c. 1945 with what looks to be a Cutts equipped SA

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

After I retired and was cleaning out the house in Seattle where I grew up, getting it ready to sell, I found a couple of boxes of Outdoor Life from the 1960s. In that I didn't bother to get TV cable or internet hooked up there I spent my down time reading through those old magazines. Most of them I dumped in the club house at Seattle Skeet & Trap, but the one I kept was September 1965. In that issue Jack's column was titled "The 20 Gauge Moves Up." In the article he states that at the height of the Great Depression he bought a 20-gauge 30-inch ejector Field Grade L.C. Smith for $17.50 with case, cleaning rod and two boxes of shells. Then goes on for two columns of text extolling all the great shooting he did with it. He then calls a 20-gauge with 30-inch barrels a preposterous freak and spends the rest of the article explaining why his 26-inch barrel guns with SST and beavertail forearms are better?!? He mentioned that Ellenor had a 26-inch barrel Ithaca 20-gauge but doesn't mention grade or whether Flues or NID.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.