April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (David Williamson, Roundsworth, Dan R, Stanton Hillis), 213 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,761
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
FallCreekFan, Parabola, Researcher, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Finding an Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special is not all that hard but finding a used, but not used up, one especially in 16b had been a challenge. I finally did find what I was looking for (a 1925) and although the LOP was quite short I bought it and just shimmed up a slip-on pad whenever I shot it. The gun was satisfying to shoot but the shimming wasn't ideal and over time I found that I just didn't reach for it all that often. Enter Richard Brewster.

One day here he mentioned in a related thread that he had a custom stock for a 16ga NS that he would sell. Because of the cost of restocking a SxS relative to the value of a NS the thought had never crossed my mind. His mention started my thinking about the possibility. We began corresponding. He sent pictures and the stock was what appeared to be a nice mid grade Claro. I was interested but a potential problem was that my gun was a first generation long frame and his stock, which he said that he'd had made for his son but had laid in a drawer for years, was for a second generation short(er) frame. I knew the length of that frame was .39" shorter but no where could I find the other dimensions. Even Walt didn't know. I also knew that I'd have to have a new forend made for the gun because the original wouldn't match. Counting the costs was made easier by Richard's offer to sell me the stock for less (much less) than even the cost of just a comparable blank. After weighing the possibility that the stock could not be retrofitted to my frame, I decided the risk was worth the potential reward and bought it.

Boy, have I been glad. The other dimensions were scaled to the shorter frame and my gunsmith was able to inlet everything to fit my long frame. Finding the right wood for the new forend was unexpected fun. I got down on the shop floor and went through box after box of walnut scraps looking for the perfect match. I couldn't be more pleased with the final result. The gun fits me perfectly now and the fact that I shoot it well is no end of delight. Not knowing Richard was nearing death I had it at the range on Monday.

Original wood
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

New wood

Example of fit

New forend

The profile, grain and color of the original forend didn't match the new stock and since I like the New Ithaca Field Grade design I had my 'smith take that as his inspiration for the new one. I also had some African Ebony so I had him inlay the tip and make a new grip cap.

I'll never know Richard's thoughts behind his seemingly random mention of this hidden Nitro stock but I am very glad that he did and that we connected. This “new” “working man's double" is the result.

I also know that most of us rebel against the idea of changing the originality of a double. I do, too. But in this case the gun now has modern dimensions and is again practical for what it was originally intended ... and it's a delight to the eye.

Plus, with a few hand tools and 20 minutes the gun is all original again.
Liked Replies
#620321 Oct 7th a 01:37 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
That’s real nice!

I especially like knowing that this friend of yours, who, by all accounts, was highly educated, found time in his world to partake of the simple pleasure of a Nitro Special. That the story continued from his home to your own gun makes it all the more interesting. I’m glad you got to know each other, and help each other out in the hobby. I never knew the man, but, have other folks here who have shared things and time with me over the years. Some of them are now gone to greener pastures, as well. I cherish the memories.

I put in an electronic bid, years ago, for a Nitro Special, also in 16 gauge. The pictures showed a gun with furry rust on the barrels, but, I figured the weight, 6lbs, 1 Oz, would yield a good rainy day double at not much risk-my bid was $257. I won the auction, and was rewarded with a gun with very light rust on the tubes, and very near 100% case colors, and 100% wood finish. I had the barrels rust blued, and like the gun very much. Can’t explain the exact reason why, but, I enjoy the old Nitro as much as my guns that cost a whole lot more. 1938 vintage, with CYL and MOD chokes, in 26” barrels. It came out of Maine, I always wonder if some guy coming out of the depression got his ideal grouse and woodcock gun, and never really got the chance to use it. The gun was basically unused.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
picture hosting

Enjoy the time afield with your gun, and cherish the memory of your departed friend.

Best,
Ted
3 members like this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.