Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#621122 10/24/2022 11:28 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Walk in for the flush and out comes …

https://www.outdoornews.com/2022/10/20/bird-hunter-survives-attack-from-nearly-700-pound-grizzly/
Liked Replies
#621151 Oct 25th a 01:48 PM
by James Flynn
James Flynn
These stories always remind me of bear attack prevention ideas put out by the Wildlife folks. The suggestion by the Wildlife agency was for hikers to carry pepper spray, wear bells on their clothing so not to surprise bears, and always look for bear scat. Someone asked, "how do I discern bear scat?" The Wildlife agent said it's easy. "Bear scat smells like pepper and has little bells in it."
2 members like this
#621137 Oct 25th a 03:28 AM
by craigd
craigd
I had mentioned it in the past. About tenish years ago, I arrived for a MT bird hunt, and a local paper was running a story of a bird hunter that shot a grizzly from off the hip, when it stood up, just feet in front of him. This past summer, I believe an experienced guide was killed while fly fishing in the Yellowstone, and friends couldn't stop a grizzly that pulled a camper out of her tent and killed her. Morale of the story, that's not a half bad reason for keeping a decent revolver handy and practicing with it, it seems the hunter did.
1 member likes this
#621144 Oct 25th a 11:08 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I'm a doublegun man ...........99+% of the time I'm wingshooting and for clays. However, were I to ever have the opportunity to hunt birds in grizzly country I just may revert to my Winchester SXP that rides beside me in the truck everyday. It has replaced a doublegun for that purpose. Birdshot certainly is not the most favored load for bears but having several loads waiting, already in my hand when a bear steps out, would be comforting me. The young boy in the article proved it can be effective at hand shaking distance. Were I not bird hunting in AK I would prefer it stoked with slugs.

Recommended to me by a veteran of the American special forces and a retired military "contractor", for self defense, I have found it to be quite a capable platform. And, it shoots dead on where I'm looking. I was really taken aback when he pulled this off the rack and handed it to me. I was expecting a longtime veteran of the Middle East wars and instructor in close quarter combat to go with something I "assumed" to be more reliable, like a Benelli or Beretta, etc. Nope, his recommendation was that at the price of these, and given their simple quality and reliability, buy two or three and keep them in strategic locations.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/current/sxp-dark-earth-defender.html
1 member likes this
#621148 Oct 25th a 12:48 PM
by AZMike
AZMike
I lived and hunted deer and elk on Kodiak Island of 14 years. Over the years I had several encounters with brown bears, one at smelling distance. I can tell you that an instant fear of a prehistoric type sets your entire system to some sort of automatic response. A bear will just scare the holy crap right out of you, the only critter I ca come close to is a fully coiled rattle snake at less than striking distance.
The lad noted in the story did well and got a lifetime story as well!
1 member likes this
#621126 Oct 25th a 12:06 AM
by bushveld
bushveld
11 year old Alaska boy stops bear with his shotgun and birdshot.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elliot-clark-alaska-boy-shoots-bear-charging-family-members/
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.