April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, 3 invisible), 565 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,079
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ithaca1, keith, mc, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Hello,
I will make a pair of inserts to use a very pitted 12 ga barrels from an old Darne shotgun.
The idea is to make a 12 to 20 ga tube about 1 foot long, to avoid the heavy pitted area in the barrels.
My question is, the steel that it is locally available are:

-1518 carbon steel or
-T-304 stainless steel.

Could you tell me what material is better for the purpose?

I will work the material in a lathe.

Thank you for your replies.

Best,

Jose
Liked Replies
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
What do the barrel walls measure? Every Darne at my house, 3 at the moment, is over .050 wall. I’ve measured guns that had .020-.030 thicker walls, too. If the gun saw double or triple proof, when it was a new gun, you might not need to worry too much, if you feed it light hunting loads.

Let’s see a photo of the flats and the tubes where they enter the flats.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by skeettx
skeettx
I cut a slot in the inserts,
welded up some 12 gauge extractors,
and refitted them to 16 gauge.
All now work as a normal 16 gauge
1 member likes this
by AGS
AGS
If you use any kind of inserts, trybefore buying. I have a set of Brily's (the fits all version). an older set of another brand, and chamber adapters of several brands. Only the old ones work in 2-1/2" chambers and they were custom ordered for the gun.

I think you should really consider honing/reaming the barrels. I am refurbishing an old R-11 16 ga right now. The bores were horrible looking. I lengthened the chambers so I could us inserts if I wanted. I used a long forcing cone reamer to helps remove some of the worst pitting. I then used an expanding reamer to remove about 0.015 from the bores (diameter). After honing and polishing the wall thicknesses were still thicker than the bulk of the doubles I shoot.

This is a common case of worrying about originality, when in actuality the serious pitting will detract more from value than a barrel opened up, clean and still with good wall thickness.

Do a lot of measurement before hand. It is hard to hone heavy pits out smoothy and reaming to size then honing is usually better. I have found that I was always surprised, however, how little removal can be needed to remove some horrible looking pits.
1 member likes this
by Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Hello gentlemen:

I have some advances in my DARNE proyect: I bought 1517 steel tube and machine with a lathe a pair of 45 centimeters (about 18 inches) inserts.

Now I am giving the inserts the last adjustments and I hope I can permanently glue the inserts in the old and damaged barrels.
My question is, what kind of glue do you recomend to use?

I have in mind 2 types:

1.- 275 dymetylacrilate ester (I think you name it red Locktite) for permanent gluing of automotive parts and
2.- Industrial epoxy type glue (2 compound parts that mix together and starts to cure in about 30 minutes.

The tolerances that I obtain are really tight, in most parts there are about 001-002" between barrels and inserts, so I am concern about the use of option #2 because the glue is so thick.

I really want a permanent fixing of the inserts inside the barrels!

Any knowledge advise from you?

Best regards,

Jose
1 member likes this
by Der Ami
Der Ami
The barrel should be concentric if you turn it between centers.
Mikr
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Rifle liners are held in place with Locktite. Soldering is almost never done in the last couple of decades due to the improvement in adhesives. Shotgun liners should be even easier to glue in place.

You might want to read about how a good gunsmith does a similar repair operation. It would seem this repair was done fairly recently ( less than a couple decades ago).

https://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2022/12/correcting-excess-headspace-in-parker.html

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.