April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (tut, Jem Finch, Jeremy Pearce, Longknife), 1,201 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
liverwort
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by liverwort
liverwort
I have been hunting with a crossbow and I like to use natural cover and hunt from the ground. I was sitting in my blind/hide tonight and took a few looks through my 4x scope and wondered if I would remember to pay attention to the ghost-like ironweeds and small branches that show in the scope view. I thought the 2.5X rifle scope I have would make those close-in extraneous objects more noticeable. My question: I've heard the reverse recoil of a crossbow can damage a rifle scope, but there has to be some forward recoil on a scope when firing a rifle or we would have to consciously move our shoulder back to where it was when we fired, right? Would that amount of force damage a scope, or am I thinking about it wrong?
Liked Replies
by Parabola
Parabola
“Forward recoil”.

The rifle goes back in recoil. The inertia of the scope makes it want to stay still.

This is what happens with a scope that slides in recoil in external mounts such as the 1907 vintage Winchester A5.

That was designed to slide in its mounts to avoid transmission of recoil stresses to the lens assemblies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

On a .303 rifle such as this 1910 Ross Mark III it goes forward about an inch and needs to be pulled back manually to the stop ring.
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Crossbows generate more vibration than recoil, just as most pellet rifles do. It seems weird that a pellet rifle would cause a scope more problems than the recoil from rifle but it is a real fact. Most scopes, designed for rifles, will suffer long term use on any pellet rifle. I had a Leupold scope that had to be rebuilt after use on a pellet rifle. That rifle was a tack driver with the scope on it, but the vibration was so bad that the bottom leg of the cross hairs broke. Easy repair I am sure but it was not cheap as I paid for it instead of trying to claim a warranty covered repair. It was well known in pellet shooting circles that many scopes would not hold up long term and I took my chances and lost. Still that was a great shooting rifle and worth every dollar I spent on it. At 25 yards you could hit the primer hull end of a .410, every shot. At 50 yards you could put three shots into a dime. You could put your pellet into the eye of a squirrel and right into the brain with proper angle. Such a accurate gun is a true pleasure to own and shoot. That is one gun I regret selling.
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
We do move our shoulder and the gun back to the previous position for follow up shots. But that movement would hardly constitute a forward recoil inpulse that might damage a scope. It isn't the forward motion that causes the damage. It's the inertia generated by the abrupt stop of the internal scope erector mechanism.

Scopes for spring piston air rifles are designed to withstand the strong forward recoil impulse generated by the piston abruptly reaching the forward position. But even very expensive conventional rifle scopes may be damaged by them because they are only designed to handle a rearward recoil impulse. So if you are going to mount a scope on a crossbow, you may need to use a scope designed for that purpose. I am not a bowhunter, so can't say for certain.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.