May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Mike Harrell, playing hooky, AGS, oskar, 2 invisible), 254 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,362
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, DoubleTake, GLS, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#621610 11/05/2022 8:00 PM
by Nitrah
Nitrah
I have a new MEC Grabber and reloading Rem hulls. I get 5-10 out of 100 reloads that won't go into SxS gun. It is a 2 1/2" chamber gun but I think the brass isn't resizing enough or my chamber rims aren't cut big enough.
Anyone ever have similar problem?
Liked Replies
by Cold Iron
Cold Iron
Originally Posted by Mark II
The Grabber has a collet sizing system. That may need adjustment, check you tube. It's also possible the crimp is not adjusted correctly. Measure a factory load or at least one that fits, and see where the problem is. There are good videos on line to show you how to make these adjustments.

This. The grabber is basically a 9000 that you have to rotate by hand. Everything else on the new ones is the same between them. The old Grabbers would not resize high brass shells but that was when they first came out years ago.

I only own 9000's one of the 12's is setup with one of Ben's first automates that MEC purchased the patent for and became the 9000E.

Shooting multiple guns in different gauges I resize all shells for the smallest chamber in that gauge that I own. During the ammo shortage last few years I have loaded for others and a few of them have had problems with my shells not fitting in their guns, mainly older SxS guns. I don't resize any smaller than I have to. When reloading for myself.

MEC has youtube videos for pretty much any adjustment or problem you run into. You can also call them they are great at helping you if you need it. Here is the video on how to adjust the resizing die on a Grabber and 9000.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
2 members like this
by GLS
GLS
Cold Iron's point is pertinent regarding shooting multiple guns which fire forms the head to the largest diameter chamber. The MEC ring falls behind the collet system of the Sizemaster and MEC presses that utilize a collet system. My 10 ga. MEC press uses the collet system. My Ponsness Warren 375 C uses a full length die which resizes not only the "brass" head and shell rim, but also holds the entire shell length exposing 3/16" of hull outside the die for crimping. This prevents hull buckling. In developing loads for my 2" 12 ga. guns, I test fire them in an 870 pump which requires hull resizing for my doubles. I use a full length die which rides on a Manufrance assembly that de-primes, primes and resizes with the two tools lying to the right of the screw-press. The smallest diameter tool contains a removable de-priming pin. Note the far end of the press on which sits a three leaf metal tool which fits in a slot. The small hole allows the spent primer to pass through, the flat side primes and the large hole ejects the primed and resized hull. Slower than the MEC collet system, but I don't do high volume loading for the 2" shells. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
2 members like this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.