Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, Ghostrider, HomelessjOe, John Roberts, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#621925 11/13/2022 10:24 PM
by Brian
Brian
Anyone here own/shot a Cooper centerfire rifle?
comments, insights appreciated.
looking at possibly placing and order for one.
or do you have any suggestions for similar quality rifle by another maker.
I want wood and steel. while I understand the practicality of synthetics, I want walnut against my cheek when I am hunting.
And synthetics have no character or personality. A rifle made of walnut and steel, like a fine Fox double, has a certain je ne sais quoi.
I know this might get moved to rifles but some of you who dont frequent that section may still own one of these.
Liked Replies
#621940 Nov 14th a 12:03 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by Brian
I want wood and steel. while I understand the practicality of synthetics, I want walnut against my cheek when I am hunting.
And synthetics have no character or personality. A rifle made of walnut and steel, like a fine Fox double, has a certain je ne sais quoi.
Walnut is for double shotguns, not rifles. Leave the sentimentality for performance. You'll be glad you did.
JR

Now that's bizarre. Best rifles deserve walnut everytime. Foolish to think one needs plastic for any gun.
3 members like this
#621950 Nov 14th a 02:23 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Brian
I want wood and steel. A rifle made of walnut and steel, like a fine Fox double, has a certain je ne sais quoi.

I can appreciate a love of good walnut. I love it, too. But, rifles are precision arms. Rifles and shotguns have entirely different intentions, and to compare them for the sake of sentimentality is being narrow-minded. The early pioneers of accuracy were obsessed with finding out why a rifle couldn't place all the shots into one hole. They weren't enamored of walnut against cheek, like some of us are, but wood is all they had. They wanted accuracy, period, and strived for perfection. I'm reading Mann's book, The Bullet's Flight, right now, and have found a bit of insight into that "drive".

If someone is more enamored of wood than synthetic stocks, that is fine. But, synthetic stocked rifles ARE more inherently accurate in the long run. Tikka bolt guns are the most accurate production rifles made, bar none. I have years experience with them. Most will shoot one hole groups out of the box, at 100 yards, with factory ammo. I'm somewhere in the middle. I love beautiful walnut, but I also appreciate superb accuracy. My usual needs in a rifle don't require gilt-edged accuracy, as I suspect are Brian's needs (though I do own a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor). I can get by just fine most of the time with walnut. But, I sure as heck don't decry the use of synthetics for those times/people who require/want greater accuracy. Hey, you don't free float a barrel on a wood stocked rifle because you like the looks of gaps in the inletting. You do it because wood moves when moisture and temperatures influence it.
3 members like this
#621946 Nov 14th a 01:06 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Well, if there is a distinct chance that what you are hunting is an animal that will attempt to eat you, should you fail at bullet placement, because it has been raining on Kodiac Island the last month, and the beautiful walnut has swelled and moved zero to someplace else, you might come to realize that synthetics have their place.

My son has a Stalker stock on his A5. It is a 1952 Speedfeed A5, and a Stalker stock doesn’t belong there, but, guess what? The front isn’t cracked where most of them are. The tang isn’t split, like a bunch of them are.

It will never crack. Something to be said for that.

Best,
Ted

Amazing that all of North America was settled with bows, arrows, and walnut stocked rifles. Having spent weeks in the AK bush where it rained all day, every day, I can say with some experience that it is pretty foolish BS to think that plastic is some sort of magic. Just more internet keyboard "wisdom" I guess. Well made wood and blue rifles do just fine, anywhere, anytime. More plastic hyperbole here than I would have guessed.
2 members like this
#621949 Nov 14th a 02:20 AM
by SamW
SamW
Lived on Kodiak for 12 1/2 years (National Wx Service). Waxed the metal and the wood (inside and out) at the start of each season...never any problems with wood or metal in the wet/salt climate. Used Johnsons paste floor wax.
2 members like this
#621948 Nov 14th a 02:05 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
No wood, here:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas-man-nails-3-mile-shot-to-set-new-distance-record/

Just results.

Hey, did I mention that the stock on a certain A5 isn’t cracked? Did I mention that it will NEVER crack?

Hyperbole, not. But, it looks as if you are claiming North America was settled with bows, arrows and walnut stocked hunting implements, and none of those settlers was eaten.

Big hyperbole.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#622075 Nov 16th a 01:51 AM
by RyanF
RyanF
My friend has one set up for antelope. Shoots as guaranteed. I like my Christensen better for the money (if you're going modern).

Walnut vs. plastic...I don't think that's a fair comparison. A custom Kevlar stock can be a true work of craftmanship. I agree injection molded plastic stocks suck (and I have replaced some with wood) but, a quality composite stock is a whole different thing and something I can appreciate.
2 members like this
#622047 Nov 15th a 06:30 PM
by Brian
Brian
ALCON
some input seems to treat my inquiry as ignorant or of the Nimrod. I am neither. Been hunting for 50 + years.
the lectures about the attributes of synthetics and their wonderous properties are irrelevant. I know all of that. I have had synthetic stocked rifles and hunted with them. My hunting nowadays is confined to Eastern Whitetails. Yes rifles are "precision " instruments. but for eastern Whitetail hunting where more deer are shot under 50 yards than over 50 yards, and even if I have a shot at 200 yds (the limit I cam see from my stands) a rifle that shoots 1/2". 1" or 2" for that matter at 100 yards will suffice.

For me, fine rifles deserve wood. Ill give up that bit of durability and stability for the satisfaction of fine walnut.
I have a Cooper 22 Magnum, in a nice walnut stock that puts 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards. OMG, its not synthetic.

to those of you who have provided constructive input I thank you.
2 members like this
#621972 Nov 14th a 03:53 PM
by Marks_21
Marks_21
Tikka the best ???? I guess to each his own.

ULA/ NULA is the only exception to my wood preference, but that is a preference not exclusive, I’ll buy any of them at the right price, combination, or opportunity.

The reality is that in the past 20(+) years reliable out of the box sub MOA accuracy is a reality into rifles in the very cheap basic variety. But I guess that’s not what we’re talking about.

I wouldn’t say anything bad about Cooper, but I haven’t kept any that I have owned. They have been as good as, but no better than others I have owned ( Kimber, Dakota, custom items, etc). I find the lines just a tiny bit “square” or not quite smooth, sleek, or fit enough.
1 member likes this
#622026 Nov 15th a 12:56 PM
by HomelessjOe
HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by prairie ghost
Best rifles deserve walnut every time. Foolish to think one needs plastic for any gun.
Could not agree more.

Nothing wrong with a good synthetic stock on a rifle but it's not required on an accurate rifle.
1 member likes this
#622011 Nov 15th a 01:22 AM
by SKB
SKB
Add me to the Walnut and and blue crew. My Mauser held up fine on this coastal Black Bear hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#622168 Nov 17th a 12:44 PM
by craigd
craigd
Hopefully, they turned over a new leaf, but Shiloh had a tendency to be dismissive, after they took ones money. I suppose at least the Cooper dealers answered their phones, and declined to take an order that might not be filled. While I didn't care too much for the buttstock, Ted's link to the 257R look pretty good. There are likely a number of shops who might put a nice blue appearing finish on that stainless bbl.
1 member likes this
#622010 Nov 15th a 01:19 AM
by Marks_21
Marks_21
My Tikka experience is only 2 (.308s) and I would not say anything bad about performance. But I definitely didn’t notice anything special about performance either. For me I roll through a lot of “good deals” on right handed rifles that get moved on later because I am a lefty. Regarding the best of the bunch statement and production rifles- I would take a 1990s-early 2000 Savage 110/116 and the Kimber 84s over the Tikka a dozen times over. What I disliked most about the Tikka was the light “plasticy” action feel. To me the bolt didn’t feel slick or smooth but like it wasn’t made to last long. I do lean heavily to walnut and tradition, but also respect a quality tool. I felt the Tikka an average modern tool. I really felt it lateral to a bolt action AR-15. FWIW the Kimber 84 Hunters still good in my book but at least the first version had a TERRIBLY cheap plastic stock, but they still shoot.
About 3 years ago some generic retailer “sportsman’s outdoor planet warehouse superstore” was clearing out a few dozen Left hand Tikka T3s on gunbroker. They were around $400 I can’t remember exactly, I was probably a fool for passing but I really wasn’t a fan.
1 member likes this
#622012 Nov 15th a 02:22 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Marks_21
My Tikka experience is only 2 (.308s) and I would not say anything bad about performance............. But I definitely didn’t notice anything special about performance either.I felt the Tikka an average modern tool.

Well, that helps me put my experiences into perspective. I guess we've just been lucky. Maybe that lucky streak will continue another ten years (rifles), or so.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: This is one of two, almost identical, back to back, groups shot last Saturday afternoon by a new, out of the box Tikka at 100 yards, with "cheap" factory ammo..

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this
#622146 Nov 17th a 02:21 AM
by Brian
Brian
Ted,
thanks but not what I am looking for. after the dismissive attitude of Cooper, I wont buy their product.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.