March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, BrentD, Prof, Cold Iron, craigd, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, keith, liverwort, Lloyd3, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, vam5067
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Signed up for Medicare yesterday (a sobering experience!) and am finishing-up on the processing of a small deer today. After that I'll be at loose ends again for a while (which is hard for me). Saw a great video on steelheading in Michigan this morning on the Pierre Marquette and it got me to thinking....how is Michigan for ruffed grouse hunting (as compared to, say...Minnesota)? A fellow has to be thinking about where he's going to settle for that last great segment of life, someplace where he can cast his flyrod and carry his scattergun in the beautiful deciduous woods. Now... I think Gretchen Whitmer (and politics in general) in Michigan is pretty abysmal, but as an old codger (mostly retired & just recreating there), what does all that really mean? It looks like Traverse City is the only city of any size in the region, is that a decent place? Minimal crime, good food, & decent doctors? I realize the weather can be pretty crappy in winter but that's what Arizona is for, right?
Liked Replies
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I can't speak to Michigan, but if I were looking to move to someplace to retire from where I now live, I'd consider north-central Pennsylvania, somewhere just north of I-80 near a town called Danville. Great medical care (Geisinger Health System), good fishing (Susquehanna River and numerous feeder streams), grouse hunting in the nearby state forests and a couple of universities within a short distance for intellectual stimulation. Plus, rural Pennsylvania is still pretty conservative and it's likely to stay that way for a while.

What difference does it make how conservative the rural part is, when the cities elect an actual brain damaged senator to office?

The platform he ran on looked like state sponsored economic suicide.

I can think of a number of third world countries that have better long term fiscal planning and goals.

Best,
Ted
5 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I'm 71, and have been on Medicare for several years, now. I haven't one bad thing to say about it, so far. I was hospitalized in August and September of 2020 for 27 days, 14 of those in ICU, most of those on a ventilator, 6 more in a private room, and 7 in rehab. Total out-of-pocket expenses for me was less than $300, which had something to do with the ambulance trip to the ER. How it could have been any better than that I don't now.
3 members like this
by craigd
craigd
Maybe, convince your son to do a summer road trip on college break, and just head a bit north to Wyoming and maybe Montana for a look around. Tons of elbow room, low pressure public access, and one really doesn't have to worry about crime in a Constitutional carry state. It's not that a person has to have a wild west mentality, more the bad folks think twice, knowing every vehicle and home has the tools available as needed. There are probably many modest to extravagant houses, on modest acreages, within touch of larger town services, and big expanses of fishing and hunting that cannot be developed. Lots of folks want to be in the mountains, but foothill areas can give quick access to big and small water, upcountry and the plains. All manner of game bird access, except for those hardwood forrest grouse?
2 members like this
by troutchops
troutchops
Few random thoughts..My wife and I recently retired in northern lower Michigan, but still have a cottage on a Pere Marquette feeder river that receives all the Great Lakes fish runs. The pressure on the PM has exploded in the last five years. It’s still a great river, but the drift boat traffic has gotten out of hand. The bird hunting can be good, but again being between Grand Rapids and Traverse City the uplands receive a good amount of pressure. Real estate prices have really gone up on the west side of the state also.
2 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Thank you all. My wife and I are in the early exploratory stage of all this. It's really hard to uproot from anywhere after 30-some years (and I'm really only willing to do it one more time). The short-term plan is to live in various places for a few months first just to see how it feels. Northern Maine is actually already on the list for a late summer/early Fall extended visit, and perhaps Traverse City after that(?). The number of variables are immense, of course, and I'm looking for that magic combination of ruffed grouse and trout, but work, health, and even family variables hold very large sway over any decision. We also still have the place in Minnesota to figure out. Oh well, good problems to have.
2 members like this
by graybeardtmm3
graybeardtmm3
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
Sometimes the "expectation is greater than the realization". I've experienced that several times in my life!
Karl

speaking of expectations.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIQVG0Bcu6w

i'm about to start the process of settling all my accounts in north east texas, and moving for better/worse to 7,000 ft elevation in the mountains of southern new mexico...decisions like this are always a subjective/balancing proposition.

best regards,
tom
2 members like this
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
Whenever I get that hankering I reach for my 16ga Mossberg 190KB. It was only made in ‘57 and ‘58 and has special significance to me because as a kid the first time I was trusted to hunt alone was with my Grandfather’s 190. He only had two shells so he gave me his gun and the two shells and said, “Come back with dinner.” I did. My mother was relieved. My dad and my grandfather were proud and I was one happy kid when I gave him back his gun, the rabbit, and the 2nd shell.
2 members like this
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
If I lived in some of the places you guys do, I'd probably consider moving too. As for me though I'm right where I was bred and born and been all my life. Well except for school and the Army. I already know where the bream bed every summer and who has the best dove shoots, and if I was to move I'd have to learn all that important information all over again. The only problem here is the quail have disappeared. You can still hunt them but you have to go by the place and pick up a box of them to take where you plan to hunt...Geo
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
There’s a lot to do here.
It can be exhausting.

I’m sure I can get you into trouble across multiple genre’s.
1 member likes this
by dogon
dogon
Lloyd,

We have bunch of common ground with us both being outdoors oriented & living the blue overcrowded place our beloved Colorado has become. Like you I signed up for Medicare last July myself & you're right it is a sobering experience realizing that I'm now officially in the ranks of being a senior citizen. Be aware that there will probably be some unforeseen potholes in the transition from your old insurance to Medicare.

Like you I've also been considering moving someplace other than here, but the big question is, where it is any better? It's the old deal of, Is the grass actually greener on the other side of the fence? I never really understood the snowbird retiree thing until recently & now find myself thinking that might not be too bad of a lifestyle. The biggest issue is maintaining two places in different locations. I'm tired of the cold & snow even with our fairly mild winters here on the front range. My idea is to throw my snowblower in the back of my pick-up and drive south until someone asks me, What's that thing for? This is when I'll know I'm probably within 200 miles of being far enough south.

My thinking is. I can play around with my double guns just about anywhere and can travel to good bird hunting destinations on an as needed basis. You can find decent fishing just about anywhere by modifying your methods & adjusting accordingly. In some ways I envy our friend who just pulled up stakes & moved to Maine. I could see myself living there in the warmer months but wouldn't want to winter over there.

Good luck with your choices & let us know what you decide!
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
Senator. Uncle fester
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Cold Iron
...I don't think there is a perfect place to retire to, give and take to all of them....

Lots of truth to that statement. But after a lot of agonizing we pulled the trigger a month ago on 50 acres of "Up North". It will take 18 months or so to get there but we are going. Lots to build in the meantime.

There goes the neighborhood....
1 member likes this
by liverwort
liverwort
After watching that video, I now have a hankering for a bolt-action shotgun. Which choke is recommended for that kind of grouse hunting? Of course, there are no grouse in PA.
1 member likes this
by ChiefAmungum
ChiefAmungum
Lloyd,

Having made the move from MN to NC I will tell you this. I traded a brutal winter, and surprising to most a humid, buggy summer for much more reasonable seasons. The spring here is a delight, not a muddy, sloppy mess. I lost the instant access to great grouse and pheasant hunting. I have found that I can return to MN for 4 to 6 weeks in the fall to get the best the of grouse and pheasant seasons, Oct. and part of Nov. plus firearms deer if I choose. I did not choose deer this year as the weather was bad. I hold out the option though. NC has reasonable if not good trout fishing, no steelhead, but some "toothy old men" none the less! Would I move back? Nope, I would be too old to want to deal with the winter after I don't hunt. I would consider MI to have an equally brutal winter/ buggy humid summer, can't say though. I will say if I had not moved I would be satisfied to finish up in MN. One final thought I'm considering, motorhome!

Chief
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Stan: I'm pleased to hear that, thank you! Out here in the Rocky Mountains, many of the better local physicians don't take Medicare any more (or at least limit it's use). I'm quite used to paying my own way for the peripheral stuff anyway (dental, optical, etc.) and I've been blessed with good health (& good luck) overall. It's not so-much the program that I object to, it's the clearly devious & then heavy-handed tactics used to get you into it. My fear is that one day (maybe even now?) our healthcare system will devolve into a 2-tier process, separating the well-heeled from the not-so. The little work that I've had done over the years was never covered by any regular insurance (from laser surgery on my eyes, to "experimental" treatments for Lymes disease, to stem-cell therapy on my lower back) and had to come out of my own pockets anyway, which is why I have a well-funded HSA and an ever-more cautious nature now. Most of the medical technologies I've had to avail myself of in the last 20-years or so were always deemed "elective" and never-mind their effectiveness. That sort of "we-know better" controlling mind-set never sets well with me. I haven't truly figured out how I will go forward from here, and I haven't given up on Medicare just yet, so...we'll see, I guess. Still figuring out all the options.
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by liverwort
After watching that video, I now have a hankering for a bolt-action shotgun. Which choke is recommended for that kind of grouse hunting? Of course, there are no grouse in PA.

How about a .410/22 Savage or Stevens?
1 member likes this
by Cold Iron
Cold Iron
...I don't think there is a perfect place to retire to, give and take to all of them....

Lots of truth to that statement. But after a lot of agonizing we pulled the trigger a month ago on 50 acres of "Up North". It will take 18 months or so to get there but we are going. Lots to build in the meantime.
Congrats to you and the wife!

I don't agree with you on several posts on another website about wolves, along with other things related to it. But after you posted on that site and understood the dog wolf encounter at Isabella I realised you may understand it better than I thought. It is complicated. And was surprised that you are originally from the SNF IIRC. I have too many wolf encounters to get into a pissing contest with someone about it and had one near Isabella when the other person had one as well.

Before we went into Desert Shield JAG came on board and if you were married had to do a Will. It was an eye opener, Chit is getting real, before that I was invincible. Would not made it where I did if I didn't think that.

In Nuclear Power School in the 70's which was my start I went to Daytona Beach one weekend and met 2 girls from Tn. and spent the week with them until we all ran out of money. Went to Captain's Mast for it and the Captain said I was unreliable. An officer that was there from Wi. representing me that at the time and didn't know me personally said Skipper I think there are 2 young ladies from Tn. that would disagree with that statement about being unreliable. I was busted although Steve went on to be what he was deserving of him, 2 Star Upper half Admiral. I think he may be German?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I led my men into battle without much issue. Except for a good friend from Alaska that we fished the chalk streams in England before Desert Shield. Scud missile broke a steam flange loose in the machine shop and didn't even hit the ship but was enough to cause the flex gasket to break free. I held him in my arms as he was dying and the steam replaced the oxygen in his lungs and he couldn't talk. Or scream. But his eyes could scream and as I peeled his coveralls from him and the skin came off with it. It is burnt into my mind even if I don't want it to be. There are a few others but that one hurts and haunts me the most. And wakes me up at night to this day. And night sometimes it blurs together. Tonight is one of those nights and I read your post hours ago. Not your fault. Mine.

Enough of that and it is a memory I try not to think of. At the same time today is exactly 45 years ago that I went to boot camp. Dec 7 who the hell goes active duty on Dec 7 in the Navy?! Someone that cares about Heritage. Country. History. Honor. If someone doesn't understand it can't explain it to them.

Same as moving to Mn. from NC. My father had just died of cancer and figured I wasn't smart enough to cure cancer but could help support those that could. Soon found out the world of research is ugly as sin as I am sure you are well aware. Lots of begging and politics. I ended up in the Patient Support shield which to me is more rewarding in the long run. I hate begging and the whole grant money and Federal regulations. Just get it done. Rules be damned. Real life doesn't work that way though. Can only bypass the system to a point that the extent of the law that allows it. And do NOT pass that point no matter how much you want to. Needs of the patient come first in practice, not research, which is why we are ranked #1. But is also frustrating at times if I could only...

More than a bit jealous of your move "Up North" and congratulations!

Have considered it myself, a lot. Listened to the ambulances run from Grand Marais to Duluth every night when I stayed at the Satellite Inn on the border of Lake and Cook. Helped Marilyn with the books before she passed away. And helped her husband who was on dialysis until the end. Ended up on the Gunflint with Lauana and Carl eventually. Lauana taught Donnie who was Marilyn's son and now runs the well pumping business down at what used to be the Satellite. An hour and a half away but that is SNF. Larger than most realize.

The original homestead at Schoder they sailed out of Duluth and went North and landed at what is now the Lake\County border. Grandpa built the house out of the remains of the boat.

Get up the Gunflint Trail with Carl and Launa and it gets even more interesting. I have standing reservations for the 6th year in a row running now. After I hunt the Sunset Country in Canada the week before. Hopefully my custom ordered Iside through FAIR will be in by then.

Double triggers suck come Mid October just saying. But work as a single shot.

Some years are better than others. By 1330 you might be done considering the right conditions with one dog and 2 people.

And the tip of the Arrowhead is not the best in Mn. for grouse hunting by any stretch of the imagination. This year was a perfect storm coming together. Having the right dog and knowledge goes a long ways though. Pup just turned 2 his father is 8. Breed him with a breeder in Duluth a month ago and he texted me last night that ultrasound shows 6-8 pups.

Stud muffin has been around the block a time or 3 and gets more action than me LOL.

His girlfriend and successful breeding this Spring with one of the top breeders of Tollers in the US in Wi. Sue was featured in 2014 Gundog Mag.

He really doesn't care what he is hunting as long as he has feathers in his mouth.

His offspring apparently doesn't either. Watching the breed carry the instincts and natural abilities to generation after generation is the greatest joy I think that I get out of life after watching it for more than 30 years. And contributing to it.

I am blessed.
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Ok, thanks for that. I thought it was somewhere between Caribou and Fort Kent.
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof

Congrats to you and the wife!

I don't agree with you on several posts on another website about wolves, along with other things related to it. But after you posted on that site and understood the dog wolf encounter at Isabella I realised you may understand it better than I thought. It is complicated. And was surprised that you are originally from the SNF IIRC. I have too many wolf encounters to get into a pissing contest with someone about it and had one near Isabella when the other person had one as well.

Before we went into Desert Shield JAG came on board and if you were married had to do a Will. It was an eye opener, Chit is getting real, before that I was invincible. Would not made it where I did if I didn't think that.

In Nuclear Power School in the 70's which was my start I went to Daytona Beach one weekend and met 2 girls from Tn. and spent the week with them until we all ran out of money. Went to Captain's Mast for it and the Captain said I was unreliable. An officer that was there from Wi. representing me that at the time and didn't know me personally said Skipper I think there are 2 young ladies from Tn. that would disagree with that statement about being unreliable. I was busted although Steve went on to be what he was deserving of him, 2 Star Upper half Admiral. I think he may be German?

I led my men into battle without much issue. Except for a good friend from Alaska that we fished the chalk streams in England before Desert Shield. Scud missile broke a steam flange loose in the machine shop and didn't even hit the ship but was enough to cause the flex gasket to break free. I held him in my arms as he was dying and the steam replaced the oxygen in his lungs and he couldn't talk. Or scream. But his eyes could scream and as I peeled his coveralls from him and the skin came off with it. It is burnt into my mind even if I don't want it to be. There are a few others but that one hurts and haunts me the most. And wakes me up at night to this day. And night sometimes it blurs together. Tonight is one of those nights and I read your post hours ago. Not your fault. Mine.

Enough of that and it is a memory I try not to think of. At the same time today is exactly 45 years ago that I went to boot camp. Dec 7 who the hell goes active duty on Dec 7 in the Navy?! Someone that cares about Heritage. Country. History. Honor. If someone doesn't understand it can't explain it to them.

Same as moving to Mn. from NC. My father had just died of cancer and figured I wasn't smart enough to cure cancer but could help support those that could. Soon found out the world of research is ugly as sin as I am sure you are well aware. Lots of begging and politics. I ended up in the Patient Support shield which to me is more rewarding in the long run. I hate begging and the whole grant money and Federal regulations. Just get it done. Rules be damned. Real life doesn't work that way though. Can only bypass the system to a point that the extent of the law that allows it. And do NOT pass that point no matter how much you want to. Needs of the patient come first in practice, not research, which is why we are ranked #1. But is also frustrating at times if I could only...

More than a bit jealous of your move "Up North" and congratulations!

Have considered it myself, a lot. Listened to the ambulances run from Grand Marais to Duluth every night when I stayed at the Satellite Inn on the border of Lake and Cook. Helped Marilyn with the books before she passed away. And helped her husband who was on dialysis until the end. Ended up on the Gunflint with Lauana and Carl eventually. Lauana taught Donnie who was Marilyn's son and now runs the well pumping business down at what used to be the Satellite. An hour and a half away but that is SNF. Larger than most realize.

The original homestead at Schoder they sailed out of Duluth and went North and landed at what is now the Lake\County border. Grandpa built the house out of the remains of the boat.

Get up the Gunflint Trail with Carl and Launa and it gets even more interesting. I have standing reservations for the 6th year in a row running now. After I hunt the Sunset Country in Canada the week before. Hopefully my custom ordered Iside through FAIR will be in by then.

Double triggers suck come Mid October just saying. But work as a single shot.

Some years are better than others. By 1330 you might be done considering the right conditions with one dog and 2 people.

And the tip of the Arrowhead is not the best in Mn. for grouse hunting by any stretch of the imagination. This year was a perfect storm coming together. Having the right dog and knowledge goes a long ways though. Pup just turned 2 his father is 8. Breed him with a breeder in Duluth a month ago and he texted me last night that ultrasound shows 6-8 pups.

Stud muffin has been around the block a time or 3 and gets more action than me LOL.

His girlfriend and successful breeding this Spring with one of the top breeders of Tollers in the US in Wi. Sue was featured in 2014 Gundog Mag.

He really doesn't care what he is hunting as long as he has feathers in his mouth.

His offspring apparently doesn't either. Watching the breed carry the instincts and natural abilities to generation after generation is the greatest joy I think that I get out of life after watching it for more than 30 years. And contributing to it.

I am blessed.

There is a lot of life in that post, Cold Iron.

Those dogs look pretty passionate. I've never seen a toller in real life. Someday maybe. I'm pretty sure they are quite a bit different than anything I'm familiar with. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on my next pup. It's coming faster than the new house/barn/shop is. I think we have one more big pheasant season here.

Take care.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.