March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
craigd, David Williamson, dogon, DoubleTake, Drew Hause, eightbore, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, liverwort, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#623589 12/15/2022 2:48 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
I confess I’ve been troubled by a recent interaction here and then yesterday in reading an old thread about the early days at Gunshop.com I came across this from Walt Snyder. It was 14 years ago.

“I too miss the old days. We didn’t always agree but we didn’t attack each other. There was respect and civility.”

Last week a member listed a gun for sale and within minutes it seemed his integrity was questioned regarding his description of the gun. Coincidentally, I had just had an interaction with that man a few days prior regarding another listing. I noticed something in that particular description that I believed to be in error so I took the chance and wrote him a PM. In response, I received a gracious thank you and he immediately corrected the listing. Without knowing the gentleman that told me all I needed to know about his character.

I understand that conversations reflect culture - the meta culture and our own particular micro culture(s). But they don’t have to. I still have a choice as to what and how I speak. As we’re in this season of celebrating the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, this “little” incident in our community here has freshened up my own personalized application of one of His teachings:

Speak to/about others the way I’d like them to speak to/about me.

I’m going to be more conscious of that during this Christmas season and into the New Year. And if I forget, every time I look up from my loading bench, I’ll be reminded.

(Apparently, Carl Sandburg found Lincoln’s words important enough in his own life to copy them down and put them up in his own line of sight.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Liked Replies
#623608 Dec 15th a 07:40 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
And many of us suffer fools poorly...
JR
4 members like this
#623624 Dec 16th a 12:25 AM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by dukxdog
Really? Geesh frown

It is the Internet I guess.

Happy Holidays all!

Relax. He was a Marine. Talk like this makes him feel warm, and fuzzy.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I'd bet that LR enjoyed that harmless banter as much as I did. But some guys are pretty sensitive about stuff like that. I have a good idea how most of them vote.

Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
“I too miss the old days. We didn’t always agree but we didn’t attack each other. There was respect and civility.”

I'm assuming the For Sale Thread from last week that prompted this Thread is the one that is now locked. Sadly, some people preach about rules, except when they are the ones who break them. I also disagree with the statement quoted above, and have even posted links to old threads going back 15 years or so proving that conflicts and personal attacks are nothing new here. But some people prefer to deny reality for some reason.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to everyone except Fudds and Biden voters...
4 members like this
#623636 Dec 16th a 12:35 PM
by craigd
craigd
It is easy to live my life with civility and respect. If I thought culture, meta culture and macro culture can be brushed away with a note on the wall, and that Jesus of Nazareth and Christmas would be welcome, maybe I should get my head examined. The prices and lack of components needed at the loading bench, does not say, Merry Christmas to me, but it does say culture is hard at work and not just in conversations.
1 member likes this
#623644 Dec 16th a 03:13 PM
by nca225
nca225
That's a noble wish FallCreek and thank you for it.

Regrettably though, it today's climate of polarization these kinds of well wishes are not well received as evidence by the several posts from members expressing disdain and grouping of a broad swath into some sort of"other" culture they find offensive and purposely signaled out of well wishes.

But they are right insofar as attacks of opposing viewpoints has always been kind of the norm here.

Builds a thick skin I say!

Nonetheless, even though I am generally at odds with the membership here on our politics and "culture", I appreciate that this time of year is special to everyone as part of that celebration is the enjoyment and appreciation of our family, friends and peers no matter your faith or creed. So with that, Merry Christmas everybody, one and all!
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.