May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Guy Ave, HMAK, LRF, eeb, 2 invisible), 884 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,406
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#624968 01/12/2023 11:27 PM
by Kip
Kip
I came across an interview with the gunmaker Max Ern where he stated that he exclusively used the Bissell/Rigby rising fastener patent after seeing a test in an 1879 issue of The Field. Evidently, with every single gun they tested save for the Rigby, the standing breeches were discovered to deflect backwards away from the barrels under firing. I'm not entirely sure how they measured this and would like to read more about their strength testing. There's no mention of that particular test in Walsh's book from 1882, however he does note that in his opinion a top rib fastener was necessary on guns with bar-action locks (due to the metal missing from the bar needed to accommodate the mainsprings).

Does anyone have a copy of this test or the issue in question? I cannot find it for the life of me anywhere on the internet.
Liked Replies
#625012 Jan 14th a 12:25 AM
by Douglas Tate
Douglas Tate
Hello Gene

I see you have access to the British Newspaper Archive. To learn a little of John Henry Walsh's views of the Rigby & Bissell rising bite, look at THE FIELD of March 26th 1881.

Warm regards

Mountebank Fowler
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.