April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh Lomas), 1,156 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Birdog, BrentD, Prof, Buzz, Calgary Bill, DoubleTake, Hammergun, John Roberts, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Hammergun
Hammergun
A friend of a friend has asked me to look at a 16 gauge tournament skeet. I'm not really interested in buying but I want to give the fellow an honest opinion on the guns desirability should he decide to sell. Besides originality and condition, what should I look for in this model? What barrel length, grip configuration etc? I'm not a 21 guy so I really don't know what to look for. Thanks.
Liked Replies
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
Back in the '80s I was at a small gunshow north of Anchorage, Alaska. One of the first tables I saw had a Winchester Skeet Model 21, 16 gauge. It had what I think was original European, straight grip, and beavertail. Price was $1100. As I was walking away with the purchased gun, the seller yelled at me. I sort of froze since I felt I got a bargain. As, he caught up with me he said "you forgot the case". It was a Winchester marked leg-o-mutton made perfectly for the gun. It seems I have been hopeful for deals like that ever since.
5 members like this
by Researcher
Researcher
When the Model 21 Skeet Gun was introduced, 1932/33 it was offered in Tournament, Trap and Custom Built grades. By 1936, Winchester dropped the Tournament Grade, so beginning in 1936, the Model 21 Skeet Gun was offered in Standard, Trap and Custom Built grades. During 1939 the Trap Grade was dropped and replaced with the Model 21 Trap Gun (12-gauge only) leaving the Model 21 Skeet Gun in Standard Grade or Custom Built Grade for 1940 & 41. By 1946 the Custom Built Grade was renamed the DeLuxe Grade. Up through 1946 the catalog barrel length for the Model 21 Skeet Gun was 26-inch by the 1948 Winchester catalog the barrel length was upped to 28-inch. By the January 2, 1952, Winchester Catalog the DeLuxe was gone and the Custom Built Grade was back. Throughout its production run the Model 21 Skeet Gun it was offered with either a straight grip or a pistol grip. Pre-war rhe pistol grip was offered either with or without a cap. The butt was always checkered. A big drop in "collector" value if the bare wood checkered butt has been replaced with a recoil pad. The Skeet Gun always was standard with ejectors, single-selective trigger and beavertail forearm. The extra cost option of a ventilated rib first appears in the 1938 Winchester Catalog, after the Tournament Grade was gone.
2 members like this
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
Rarely do you hear the term "Scarce" which I believe better describes this
early 30's 6 pound 20 gauge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by KY Jon
...Really rare is rarely rare...
...oft times it's medium rare

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
by eightbore
eightbore
About 98% of Tournament Skeet grade 21s are equipped with 26" barrels. Among all 21 skeet guns, the 28" barrel is much preferred in today's market. Just a fact of life and you can't change the barrel length. As Researcher states, post 1948 guns were more likely to have 28" barrels.
1 member likes this
by Researcher
Researcher
After 34 years without a Model 21, in 2016 a 1953 vintage 12-gauge Model 21 Skeet Gun equipped the way I always imagined would be just right came my way -- 28-inch, ventilated rib barrels, full pistol grip and a recoil pad. Took many rounds before I got a straight with it. Then less than two years later a 1941 vintage 16-gauge, 26-inch plain barrel, capless full pistol grip checkered butt came my way and the first three rounds were straights!!
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
It is always odd how dealers want to pay less for double triggers or a 16 gauge double but then put a premium on them when they are selling the same gun. When selling its is called rare and when buying it is called odd and claimed to be harder to sell.
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Rare means scarce or few. A gun can be rare, but not desirable. Big difference.
JR
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Rare means scarce or few. A gun can be rare, but not desirable. Big difference.
JR

And, some things can be desirable, but not rare. wink
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.