April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hugh Lomas, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 852 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, Brittany Man, David Williamson, Hammergun, keith, Kip, mc, Robt. Harris, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Travis S
Travis S
I have a nice Japanese box lock/extractor gun. Has chopper lump barrels and double underbite. Pretty typical stuff I think.

I noticed that at lock up there is a very small bit of wiggle. So after looking it over this is what I found. The wiggle seems to be up and down not side to side. When you put upward pressure on the barrels the fit is tight as a vault with no wiggle left or right and no gap at face. It seems the interface between the locking bolt and lug surfaces are not as tight as they should be thusly holding the barrel flats down tighter to the frame table.

The lever is just ever so slight left of center.

Does this make sense and what is the recommended fix?

Thanks
Liked Replies
by bushveld
bushveld
Maybe all those guns were made in an alternative universe.
4 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Travis S
It seems the interface between the locking bolt and lug surfaces are not as tight as they should be thusly holding the barrel flats down tighter to the frame table.

It may well be the bolt that needs attention, but note that the barrel flats should NOT be snug down against the action flat. There should be almost no daylight visible at the very front of the juncture, but an increasing amount visible towards the rear. This is by design. The "tightness" should be at the hook/pin relationship and the barrel breech/standing breech relationship. The barrels' breech faces should "seat" snugly and with much contact with the action breech, thus stopping the breech end of the barrel flats from contacting the action flats.
3 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
For Bushveld:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
3 members like this
by bushveld
bushveld
The barrel flats touching the action flats when the barrels are closed and locked is improper and if Jack Rowe was still alive he would tell you that the "trade" refers to this condition as "banging on the flats".

Our colleague on this BBS, Vic Vinters discussed this very issue in his book GUN CRAFT beginning on page 11 --the chapter titled "Jointing & the Circle. I am going to ask Dustin to post page 13 of this book which outlines how a proper fitting double gun should clear the action flats/barrel flats.

Also for those of you interested in the entire process of Joining a Purdey, you can review the other 4 episodes of the video that I posted above.

To believe that the barrel flats should touch the action flats is counter intuitive to physical science and gunmaking basic principles.

Stephen Howell
3 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
One more thing to consider….is your top lever spring strong? It’s it’s weak and is starting to have a little spring back…then that should be looked into.
If it’s strong, and the gun still snaps close with authority, then yes, you probably have some bolt work to do. If you can smoke it in and see where is not “biting” that’ll give you a good idea on how much material will need to be added. It won’t be much. Adding some material to the bolt locking surfaces via tig or laser welding and then refitting should give you plenty of bite.
2 members like this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Travis S
It seems the interface between the locking bolt and lug surfaces are not as tight as they should be thusly holding the barrel flats down tighter to the frame table.

It may well be the bolt that needs attention, but note that the barrel flats should NOT be snug down against the action flat. There should be almost no daylight visible at the very front of the juncture, but an increasing amount visible towards the rear. This is by design. The "tightness" should be at the hook/pin relationship and the barrel breech/standing breech relationship. The barrels' breech faces should "seat" snugly and with much contact with the action breech, thus stopping the breech end of the barrel flats from contacting the action flats.

Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane
Of all the break action shotguns that I've had, the breech face has never been a component of the lock-up. And I have to admit that watching the best Perazzi 'smith in the US fitting a number of barrels for me revealed only his interest in the proper fitting of the flats and the bolt. Ejectors may rub on the standing breech but not the barrels proper.
IIRC you have a Perazzi that is mondo difficult to open. Lucio could fix that badly fitted barrel for you in a couple minutes. You'd be amazed at how easy a Perazzi is to use when it is right.

Just a thot

Of these two vastly different opinions, I'd have to agree with Stan rather than Dr. Wanker. Loss of contact of the barrels with the breech face is a problem. In fact, there is a commonly used term for it... "off face", or as the British say, "off the face". And the rear of the barrel flats should not contact the water table. All of the informed sources I've read on this subject also agree with Stan, including "Shotgun Technicana". Here's a link to a pretty good article on the subject by gunsmith Delbert Whitman:

https://shootingsportsman.com/re-jointing-a-gun/

On most, but not all double shotguns, the top lever going left of center is a clear sign that the bolting surfaces are worn. This is also covered in the link above.

Of course, Dr. Wanker also seems to think the gun in question is a Perazzi, when the OP clearly states that it is a "nice Japanese box lock/extractor gun". Who knew that Perazzi's were Japanese??? Another Mystery of the Cosmos Unlocked, I guess! Same intellect that says Biden is better than Trump.
2 members like this
by bushveld
bushveld
Although the copy of the page above is a bit "cloudy", the arrow pointing to the action/barrel flats in figure 2 reads .002" to .004" clearance between the flats of the barrel and the action body at this point. This is a statement from the famous Birmingham gunmaker Robert "Bob" Turner. He further notes that the clearance between the circle of the lumps and the draw of the action is .0005" to .00015".

The clearance is for shotguns, not double rifles. Twice as much clearance between the barrel/actions flats and rubbing between circle and draw for double rifles.

Stephen Howell
2 members like this
by mc
mc
Wonko I think you just don't understand fitting barrels
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
I live in the trained gunsmith universe,how bout you
1 member likes this
by fab500
fab500
[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

Salut,

En rouge, les points auxquels le canon et les crochets, ainsi que le verrouillage, doivent porter d'une façon absolue.

En vert, les canons ne doivent jamais toucher la bascule.
10 à 15 centièmes de garde au basculage est correct.
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
I am trying to figure out how the headspace on wonko perrazi is maintained if barrel isn't fitted to action
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
That is a neat experiment but there is no need to go that far. Close any SXS and slide a thin paper, cellophane or feeler gauge between barrels and action flats. That should convince that there is a gap there.

Simply holding the barreled action to a strong light source will reveal the tapering gap without the need for paper or other "devices". A .004" gap at the rear, with strong light behind it, looks big enough to throw a dead chicken through. An exaggeration, certainly, but it does look bigger than it measures, IMO.
1 member likes this
by Brittany Man
Brittany Man
I looked at the two Perazzi guns I currently have, a MX8 and a DC12. Both have blued actions and have been shot a lot so it is easy to see where the bbls bear on the action due to blue wear. Both were bought new, are still tight on the face w/ the top lever well to the right & have never had any adjustment on the bbl to action fit since leaving the factory.

On the MX 8 the back of the top barrel bears on the face of the action from about the 9 to the 3 o'clock position & there is no indication of the monoblock bearing at all on the flats that is visible from the blue wear.

On the DC 12 SxS both barrels bear from approximately the 8 o' clock to the 4 o'clock position including the rib between the bbls & approximately .200" of the front edge of monoblock is bearing on the action flats.

As mc posted, I don't see how you can keep the hook tight against the hinge pin (for long) unless the back of the bbls are bearing against the action face.
1 member likes this
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
Just read this thread, interesting. I was looking at one of my vintage British shotguns that had been rejoined back in the day, which is still tight on face but it does have a slight gap remaining between the barrel flats and the receiver flats. I had wondered about that.

But according to Larry Potterfield and the late great Jack Rowe, there should be a slight gap remaining between the barrel flats and action flats when rejoining. I think it might have to do with accommodating for future wear in-order to maintain it staying tight on face? Maybe some of the gun experts can way in on the reason for the leaving a slight gap?

Rejoining Off Face
1 member likes this
by Shotgunlover
Shotgunlover
One mechanical phenomenon rarely, if ever, discussed in barrel fit is the Poisson effect. It concerns the behavior of thick wall cylinders (walls thicker than 1/10 of the diameter). Under pressure such a cylinder shortens and expands radially. Presumably that happens to the chamber end of barrels under pressure and this is followed by an equally fast recovery. This process must involve some considerable slamming of chamber ends against the breech face and the hook on the cross pin, and all this is in addition to the flexing of the action bar.
1 member likes this
by Shotgunlover
Shotgunlover
Maybe the confusion Wonko is due to most posts being about SXS and the shotguns you refer to are OU.

As for Beretta action shoulder fitting, I heard from a Beretta fitter at the factory that the shoulder must have a relief of one tenth of a millimeter, about four thou, and that is also included in the instructions to service gunsmiths who go to the factory for training in repairs.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.