April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (welder, andygt, skeettx, Tim in PA, 2 invisible), 1,263 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, Buzz, ClapperZapper, eeb, GLS, ithaca1, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#629719 05/05/2023 3:12 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
How far can one reasonably push .22 shotshells? Having a varmint issue here and a bb or pellet gun won't exactly do the job (inadequate backstopping).
Liked Replies
#629945 May 11th a 01:40 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I saw a brood of immature woodies yesterday in a beaver pond about a mile from my house. As I passed by on a loud tractor it startled them and they were scurrying across the pond to what they considered safety. Looked to be about the size of mature doves. Springtime is fun to see.
3 members like this
by PALUNC
PALUNC
Have you tried talking to the varmint and asking it to leave politely?
1 member likes this
by ithaca1
ithaca1
Shot a bat off of the utility room ceiling with 38 rat shot at about 20 ft one time. Just put a few little scrap marks on the ceiling but killed the bat.
Lots of rabies in bats down here. Ceiling/drywall was an EZ fix.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
FWIW I've never considered #12 shot, which is what I've always been told is in 22RF shotshells, to be bird shot. They were, however, fully up to the task of breaking the cracker sized clay "hummingbirds" that we shot at Boy Scout camp firing range. The game, trap and targets were dubbed MoSkeetO brand. I just wish I could remember the ranges at which we shot them. Though I cannot, I do believe we broke some of them at more than 5 yards. Granted, killing a bird outright, without wounding it to die a slow death later, is not the same as chipping a clay target.

Why don't you pattern some, and do a penetration test at the same time?

I would love to have one of the Remington smoothbores designed for these shells but have never gotten up the gumption to pay the prices a nice one brings today. Wingshooting carpenter bees around the barn and sheds would be super fun with one.
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
You will gain just a little more range by virtue of a better pattern, if you using one of those chamber adapters in a 20 gauge or similar shotgun. Rifling does nothing good to patterns. Also it has been my experience that the shot shells with the plastic cap do not pattern quite as well as those that brass-crimped on the end. YMMV
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When it stops raining (we were lucky it was not torrential for the Coronation) I intend to compare all 3 types on paper at 10 yards in this converted Rook Rifle, that had been Parker-rifled to .22 LR but sadly then smoothbored.
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
They are Gevelot 6mm or No.1 Long Shot Double Charge. As Gevelot ceased production about 1980 they are probably 50 to 100 years old.

The Federal crimped Long Shot contain 25 grains of No. 12 shot whilst the CCI Extra Long (with plastic shot container ) have 31 grains (2.01 grams).

Sacrificed a misfired Gevelot No. 1 Long shot to find out the contents. 21.2 grains of shot (42 pellets so about No. 10 shot) ahead of 2 thin card wads and 3.2 grains very fine black powder.

Whilst it looks more impressive than the modern cartridges it has a smaller payload. “All hat and no cattle”.
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
As a diversity, equity and inclusion experiment I tried that once, a few years ago. No dice. I still had to shoot, shovel, & shut up (the three S rule).
1 member likes this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Because I’ve never been able to get the barn swallows to nest under the eaves of the house.

Seriously,
There are a bunch of reasons to shoot at insects.

Around my pond, they are plentiful. They are legal.
The 9 mm Flobert is such a short range shotgun, that it was very easy to sit out by the pond, and take a crack at the bugs.

Nothing to clean up. The fish take care of that.
Don’t have to worry about a season. Don’t have to worry about shot fall out.
Don’t have to worry about noise. Flobert’s are very quiet, and quite slow.

And the ammunition is inexpensive. About 12-15.00/50.
“Move, mount, and shoot”

It is definitely a great way to work on your wingshooting.

June bugs are good as well. But, are slower, and relatively brief in their availability.
1 member likes this
#629915 May 10th a 03:40 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Buzz, he can obviously do as he pleases, and will. I'm just trying to understand his reasons. Dragonflies are harmless to people, and eat millions of mosquitoes and mosquito larvae, among other pests. He doesn't eat them himself, like I do the ducks, doves and quail I shoot. I shot them off power lines, as an 8 yr. old kid with a BB gun. But, I grew up. "I guess you eat them"? Well, of course. Can you think of a better reason, or do you not consume the gamebirds you take?

Wingshooting practice, he claims. Bullshit. Just a desire to kill, period. What's it to you, anyway, besides the obvious?
1 member likes this
#629938 May 10th a 10:14 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Not condoning the wanton killing of beneficial insects is idiotic crap? Okay, dude.

Tough when you back yourself in a corner and have no sane way out, ain't it?
It most certainly is Stan. Quit being a nut case and give us a break, eh dude.
1 member likes this
#629941 May 10th a 11:39 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I saw a lonely cock pheasant twice this week in the same field. Ears all perked.

Rarer than hen’s teeth around here.
I hope he finds love before the inevitable.

The ducks are doing well, geese all hatched out already.
1 member likes this
#630010 May 13th a 12:27 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I don’t know how I should feel about this.
1 member likes this
#630011 May 13th a 12:55 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Self-defense.
1 member likes this
#630012 May 13th a 01:56 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Try to hit him sooner, next time.

Mosquitos are fair game, any old time. About the only reason I like winter these days.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
Ted, the bird we have down here that pecks on wood trim on houses so bad is locally called a yellow-hammer. My grandad next door built a brick home in 1947 but it had a good deal of wood trim. He hated those yellow-hammers because they pecked holes in the trim. The people that told you about eliminating the bugs were backwards, and wrong. The bugs aren't there until the wood pecking birds create the holes, which the bugs then inhabit ......... until the birds come back and "clean out" the holes.

https://wildsouth.org/yellowhammer/

I don't know about yellowhammers, but when I was building my house, I was working inside one day when I heard a loud tapping. It sounded like someone was knocking on the front door. I went to see, and nobody was there, and no vehicles were in the driveway. A few minutes later, the tapping started again, and again I went to the front door. Nobody... nothing. Then I heard the tapping again, and now being outside, it sounded different than inside the unfinished interior. I walked around the back side of the house, and when I got around the corner, I saw a small woodpecker, a downy woodpecker I think, pecking on the expensive 5/4" clear cedar trim I had just installed around a large window at the end of the kitchen. He quickly flew away, but damage was already done. And he returned again later to do more pecking at the same spot.

I vowed that I would eliminate the threat, and the next day, I brought an old Savage model 94 20 gauge and some shells. Shortly after I arrived and started working, he started pecking on the same piece of cedar trim. I loaded the gun and crept around the house. As soon as I poked my head around the corner, he spotted me and took off like bat out of hell. I mounted the gun to shoot, but he hugged the side of the house, and I was afraid I might rake the siding, so I didn't shoot.

This same scenario went on numerous times over the next several days. He would fly like a little fighter jet with his left wing tip almost touching the siding, and then swoop left around the front of the house, never giving me a clear shot. Then finally, after almost a week, he made the fatal mistake of flying a little further away from the siding, and I pulled the trigger, turning him into a ball of feathers. I was elated, but by then, he was totally through that piece of cedar trim and into the Tyvek House Wrap covering the plywood sheathing underneath. I cursed the little bastard.

Shortly thereafter, I started noticing large black ants inside the house, crawling over the sub-floor and studs in the unfinished kitchen. Carpenter ants! After a few days, I watched one to see where it might be entering or leaving, and was shocked to see it crawl into a small gap at the end of the large header made of sandwiched Hemlock-Fir 2x12's and plywood, over the kitchen window. This was exactly right where the dead woodpecker had been drilling into my new cedar trim board on the exterior. I never thought that carpenter ants would attempt to nest in new dry framing lumber, but they kept going in and pushing fresh sawdust out. I tried dusting the area with powdered boric acid, to no avail. I tried blowing boric acid powder into the crevice where they entered, and they would come out unfazed, covered with the white powder. I decided it was time to get serious, and shot a little Diazinon in there with a syringe, and that killed them before they could get established and do real damage.

I have always been thankful for the game animals I killed while hunting. I never felt much remorse for any vermin I've had to shoot. But to this day, I still think about that little woodpecker, and I'm sorry I shot him. He was only trying to tell me something very bad was going on in my new unfinished house.
1 member likes this
#629939 May 10th a 10:43 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Farmers understand the difference between beneficial insects and insect pests. Flies, deer (yellow, black) flies, horse flies, mosquitoes, fire ants, in fact stinging ants of all kinds, are all pests. I thought most adults with walking around sense understood this, and the difference between them and the beneficial insects that prey upon them. Dragonflies are a major predator of all of the above.

See any difference in killing a housecoat and killing the rats they prey upon? BTW, anybody who shoots a hummingbird ought to get three days in the electric chair. JMNSHO

I kill every housecoat that I see, Stanley. Rats on the other hand depend upon the rat, wouldn't you say? smile

As for farmers understanding beneficial insects and giving them a pass, how do you explain their wreaking hell on pollinators, among others? Monarchs certainly are in their crosshairs, as are most any bee.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.