April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Jimmy W, John Roberts, Jusanothajoe, liverwort, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein, Wonko the Sane
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Went to a great gun show yesterday. And ran across a nice /like brand new Beretta 470 Silverhawk for $2250.00. I am always in the market for a SXS and was really looking it over. When I shouldered it, the rib was depressed so badly that I could hardly see down the rib. Meaning: it was sunken down below the level of the barrels. And it had no center bead. It made it appear that I would be looking down the barrels and not being about to line up a target, because I couldn't see the rib. Were they all made like that? Or did the gun just not fit me at all? I really wanted that gun. I have never had a problem with not being able to look down a rib, so...........I passed. frown
Liked Replies
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
IMO anything that draws the attention to the muzzle(s), and away from the bird, is detrimental. Looking at the bead/muzzle during the swing process is a guaranteed miss ...... behind.

I would not buy a gun with a sunken rib, or worse, no rib at all.
3 members like this
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is not a new idea. This Watson lightweight “Phantom” 12 bore from about 1890 shows a sunken rib and I believe that that idea was old even then.

I understand that in addition to some saving of weight the idea was to concentrate the eye on the muzzles and the bird.
2 members like this
by coosa
coosa
The feature I like best on my Beretta 626 Onyx is the high rib. It's a shame they couldn't keep making a fine gun that was reasonably priced.
2 members like this
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Well. When it comes right down to it I didn't really want the gun. I went to the gun show looking for a Model 21 and I just did not want to settle for second best. And I surely did not want a gun that in the end, I couldn't shoot. If it would have had a nice rib, I still don't know if I would have bought it or not. But I did enjoy the show and there were lots of great guns there. Some of you would have liked the perfect Model 21 in a 28 gauge. It was really sharp. But the price was $17,000. So I had to pass on that too. Haha!! Well thanks for your replies. I really appreciated them. Take care.
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Plus, those sunken ribs are ugly. Beretta made thousands of sxs's with level ribs. Why they went to a sunken, near-swamped rib is difficult to understand.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...double-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=102320735#lg-4

JR
1 member likes this
by Shotgunlover
Shotgunlover
The Perazzis shown in the English shop ads seem to follow the Boss prototype pretty close. We are talking about the OU Boss, cannot see how an OU could have had a swamped rib. I am talking about the OU with the short rib section over the chamber and another short section at the muzzle, no rib in between.
1 member likes this
by oskar
oskar
I shoot a variety of ribs styles, concaved, raised, raised tapered, and sunken on a couple French shotguns and I never think about them and they all shoot.well. I did see a sxs with a short rib near the breach and just enough at the muzzle to mount a bead and connect the barrels, I would have liked to shoot it. I will say the tapered rib makes the barrels seem longer than their 25" length when looking down them.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.