April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, Fudd, Hugh Lomas, 2 invisible), 482 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,156
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ClapperZapper, graybeardtmm3, HistoricBore, Jimmy W, John Roberts, Lloyd3, Mark II, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#633785 08/05/2023 5:07 PM
by susjwp
susjwp
Anyone read, Rural, The Lives of the working class Countryside, a memoir by Rebecca Scott. Scott grew up in a family that served several estates, her father was a forester, game keep etc. Very interesting life and a counter point to the current assault on “county life” by the urban “antis.” The author returned later as an adult with her family to several of estates she roamed as a child. I kept thinking of the semi-documentary, The Shooting Party when she describes her charge as a beater among other day to day occupations. Well written.
Liked Replies
#633787 Aug 5th a 05:30 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
I'll look that one up. The term Beater had me interested as many think the Guns (shooters) are from the aristocracy and the Beaters the Yokels. One shoot I used to go to working the dogs had among the Beating Team; A retired Detective Inspector, a Veterinary Surgeon, a Master of Engineering from Rolls Royce and a Professor of Mathematics. Lagopus.....
4 members like this
#633791 Aug 5th a 06:43 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I have always enjoyed the company of the keepers and beaters.
They work proudly and extraordinarily hard year round to make the grounds they keep as productive and sustainable as possible.
4 members like this
#633962 Aug 9th a 02:53 AM
by FlyChamps
FlyChamps
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good
to be continyaed..unless otherwise discouraged...

How do we go about effectively discouraging you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Stan, it's pretty hard to effectively discourage someone who has the maturity level of a 6 year old. Or is it a 5 year old?
2 members like this
#633788 Aug 5th a 05:42 PM
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
The beaters that I have had a chat with included an accountant who went to Eton College (that's the poshest school in GB), the retired bodyguard of a Prime Minister, a doctor, a gunsmith, two colonels plus a few tractor drivers. All interesting to talk to.

HB
1 member likes this
#633830 Aug 6th a 09:46 AM
by lagopus
lagopus
A person still needs the permission of the Landowner or person holding the sporting rights but some foreshore shooting for wildfowl is still free. Most Farmer/Landowners are only too happy for someone to shoot the wood pigeons and rabbits for them. There is still rough shooting to be had for nothing from some obliging Farmer and with deer being in record proportions free deer stalking can be obtained; especially on Muntjac and with no bag limits and no seasons for pigeon, rabbits and Muntjac there is plenty of sport to be had. All other deer species that have seasons usually the doe season starts as the buck season finishes and vice versa. Geese are often looked upon as agricultural pests and I shall be on some free goose shooting from September 1st. We humble Yokels don't do too bad. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#633839 Aug 6th a 06:03 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Roundup (glyphosate) is a herbicide, not an insecticide. And, it only kills certain grasses and weeds, not all of them. Certainly not grasshoppers or people , ads by by unethical tv lawyers notwithstanding.

. When the weeds and grasses ceased to infest the corn, the grasshoppers simply went elsewhere. It's a tough thing to feed the world and have perfect gamebird habitat, at the same time.
1 member likes this
#633845 Aug 6th a 08:58 PM
by craigd
craigd
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
....It's a tough thing to feed the world and have perfect gamebird habitat, at the same time.
It's going to be even tougher on wildlife habit, to pump "renewable" fuel into glorified go karts.
1 member likes this
#633846 Aug 6th a 09:15 PM
by eeb
eeb
I’ve heard the old timers around here say the bushhog has done more to eradicate the bobwhite as anything. Farmer next to me would not allow any cutting before the end of June to allow the turkey poults and young quail to get off the nest.
1 member likes this
#633844 Aug 6th a 08:36 PM
by Mark II
Mark II
There are weeds that have become Round-up resistant from natural selection.
1 member likes this
#633999 Aug 9th a 08:43 PM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by eightbore
I was thinking that the picker killed fewer mature birds than the combine. What about nest destruction? I don't have an opinion, just know that when combines came to southern PA, the pheasants disappeared.

I can't imagine a mature pheasant just sitting without flushing or running as either a corn picker or a combine ran over it. And while I have chopped up a few baby rabbits while brush-hogging, more mature animals or birds take off well before the tractor gets too near. But my Uncle did deftly swoop down and grab a ringneck pheasant by the neck as it sat tight on a cold rainy day when I was in my teens. A quick twist, and it was in his game pouch without firing a shot. According to my Dad, he also did that on several occasions with rabbits. He said the secret was to just keep walking without breaking stride when you saw one sitting, and quickly grab it without making eye contact. I never managed to do it before they flushed.

In Northern Pennsylvania, the native ringneck pheasant population crashed very quickly after the Game Commission decided to permit harvesting hens north of Interstate 80. Purely a stupid decision that they were too obstinate to admit was a serious mistake. Imagine trained wildlife biologists unable to figure out that killing off the mommy birds would drastically reduce the number of baby birds. That was a huge factor in my opinion, but clean farming techniques also reduced cover and the real nail in the coffin was the introduction of the Eastern coyote and protection of hawks. Native birds are all but extinct in most of the state now. A very small number of stocked birds survive to breed before predators get them. Attempts to replace ringnecks with Sichaun Pheasants, without correcting other factors, failed miserably too. We have also had a severe decline in ruffed grouse numbers, and nobody is using herbicides or combines in the grouse habitat. One expert here claims that predators actually increase game bird numbers. Here's a photo of a coyote attempting to protect a pheasant from freezing to death!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.