May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, Hammergun, LGF, canvasback, Marks_21, Ian Forrester), 1,060 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,530
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, CJF, earlyriser, Hoot4570, Parabola, SKB
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#636745 10/24/2023 1:55 AM
by CJF
CJF
Earlier this month I received my first English boxlock double, a Watson Brothers 360EX 2.25" from 1906.

• 26" barrels, Extractors
  • Webley screw grip action
  • Standing 150yd and folding 250 rear sight leaves
  • Mint bores
  • Full engraving coverage
  • No nitro proof marks, just 360EX. No cartridge or load info on the rifle

Prior to purchasing the gun and reaching out to Watson Brothers for their records, my best guess on DOM was post 1895 (based on the maker's barrel address) and pre-1907 (based on another rifle, 29 after mine, sold in 1907). Turns out this was sold in 1906.

Workmanship is quite wonderful. After casting the chamber and measuring the bore, I tried 0.366" jacketed soft point bullets made by RWS back in the day for the 9.3x72r. These with a modest load of H4198 are printing to POA at 35 yards, so I'm looking forward to loading up more rounds and trying at distances out to 150 yards. This will be going deer hunting next month when I join a friend for a hunt in Minnesota.

If you have loads for the 360EX 2.25" using smokeless nitro-for-black power loads, I'd love to see them. This rifle was presumably proofed with black powder (given the absence of nitro proofmarks that would have been required by then), so I'm not loading with full nitro loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Liked Replies
#637668 Nov 16th a 08:54 PM
by CJF
CJF
We had a good day hunting today. Got a nice buck…range was short, maybe 35 yards. Was in a stand, firing downward. Buck dropped where he was. A fairly big one, but it seems they get larger as you go farther north (we are in Minnesota, about an hour north of Minneapolis). Pics when I get home.

Very happy with how the Watson performed with the RWS jacketed soft points. Still will pursue a patched LRN load.
3 members like this
#637792 Nov 20th a 06:08 PM
by CJF
CJF
So a few pics as promised. But first an observation.

While hunting, both from a stand and moving, I found the Watson's small size, balance and lack of protruding parts much easier to to carry over a few days of hunting than the scoped Dakota Model 10 I also briefly hunted with this trip. I'd brought the Dakota in case I needed more range than I was comfortable attempting with the 360EX's black powder loads (until I practice more.) I did pass on a 90 yard shot on a nice buck the day before I got my deer, and briefly hunted with 7mm-08 Dakota as a result, but then switched back to the Watson for the final day of hunting. Glad I did.

3 members like this
#636748 Oct 24th a 09:36 AM
by earlyriser
earlyriser
That’s a lovely rifle. Thanks for sharing the pictures and details. Let us know how the trip to Minnesota goes!
1 member likes this
#637001 Oct 30th a 03:20 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Hoot4570,
9.3x57R or 9.3x57R/360 are German designations for the English 360- 2 1/4". Just like the other old 9.3s, this cartridge shows variation in groove diameters and German guns may show "D" version or "E" version chambers, causing confusion IDing pre 1912 nominal caliber designations. BTW, there is no similarity in ballistics between the 9.3x57, popular in Sweden, and the 9.3x57R, under discussion here and only case length is the same, not head size
Mike.
1 member likes this
#637802 Nov 20th a 09:20 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
CJF,
Waidmannsheil
Mike
1 member likes this
#637817 Nov 21st a 12:53 PM
by earlyriser
earlyriser
Chris,
That’s a beautiful rifle and beautiful deer. I really enjoyed you sharing the story about load development and getting the deer. It prompted me to research Watsons. Please keep us updated on the work to develop a LRN load.

Larry
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.