May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, PALUNC, MattH, dogon, 1 invisible), 502 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
LeFusil, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Is anyone here familiar with this type ejector mechanism? Looks to be an odd mix of a Deeley box and southgate system. Any known issues-quirks-etc with this type system?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US491270A/en

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Liked Replies
by gunman
gunman
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Dustin,
Perhaps reach out to “gunman”, I’d bet he knows it off the top of his head. The only guess I’d have is a variation of the more well known “box” ejector systems.

Was a Perks box system somewhat similar? Sorry, when I have a question about English stuff, I ask you, usually.

Best,
Ted
Thanks for the thought . I will admit I do not know who's patent this is ,had it in my mind that it was Perkes but never had that confirmed .
Seen a few of these and some variants ,as a lot of designs were basically improvements , simplifications or combinations of other designs as a a way of getting round patents .
Like so many functional ejector systems they all ( house style not considered such as Cogswell's or Boss ) were surpassed by Southgate /Holland , Deeley box and Baker , probobly for there simplicity or availability in the case of Deeley box's which could be bought in complete
2 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Dustin,
Perhaps reach out to “gunman”, I’d bet he knows it off the top of his head. The only guess I’d have is a variation of the more well known “box” ejector systems.

Was a Perks box system somewhat similar? Sorry, when I have a question about English stuff, I ask you, usually.

Best,
Ted

Hey Ted. I’ve got some inquiries out to some really knowledgeable guys in the trade. So far….Bupkis.
This is not like a Perkes. Perkes uses very complex (aka nightmaresish) springs of varying design.

This system is somewhat complex, the “wings” you see are the “rotary sears”. A friend who looked at the system, says it reminds him of an LC Smith action cocking system. I can see the resemblance. It’s obviously very well made and took real mechanical ability to even come up with the idea, let alone make the damn thing. From my reading up on John Ross, he was a worker in the trade, and highly regarded. He possibly even did action work at a few of the big London names. I’ve seen some guns bearing his name while doing some research and they all seem to be of very high quality.
Charles Osborne, prolific maker to the trade must’ve like his system, I’ve seen a few guns that use this unique ejector work while I’ve been researching the system.
I can say It still throws empty cases with authority after 110+ years with no sign of being repaired. I guess that’s a win even if Cogswell & Harrison made it, which they didn’t.
1 member likes this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
A friend has a John Ross marked sle. It is of the quality in fit and finish equal to my Purdey. Some time ago I tried to search about John Ross, and possibly I remember that there were two gun fellows with that name.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From Internet Gun Club======
In 1890 he registered three patents Nos. 1955, 14886 and 19395. The first patent covered an ejector mechanism which was cocked when the gun was opened. A T shaped lever positioned on its side in the fore-end and pivoted transversely had a friction reducing roller on its downward leg which rode over a cam on the knuckle. This raised the forward limb which engaged with and compressed the ejector spring. The third limb was the extractor cam. No know examples exist. Both patents detailed two ejector mechanisms and a number of tripping mechanisms.
1 member likes this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by gunman
Dustin,

Best,
Ted
Thanks for the thought . I will admit I do not know who's patent this is ,had it in my mind that it was Perkes but never had that confirmed .
Seen a few of these and some variants ,as a lot of designs were basically improvements , simplifications or combinations of other designs as a a way of getting round patents .
Like so many functional ejector systems they all ( house style not considered such as Cogswell's or Boss ) were surpassed by Southgate /Holland , Deeley box and Baker , probobly for there simplicity or availability in the case of Deeley box's which could be bought in complete

I did send you a PM regarding this system. Thanks for responding here, though. It’s much appreciated. You’re definitely not the only full time (retired or not retired) gunsmith who’s not familiar with this system. Osborne, being a fairly prolific maker to the trade, I would’ve thought more gun workers would be somewhat more familiar with this system. It must not have been used for very long at all.

Dustin
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.