May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, HistoricBore, Jusanothajoe, 3 invisible), 311 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,384
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
eeb, Imperdix, Karl Graebner, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein, Woodreaux
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#637897 11/23/2023 12:17 AM
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
I bought this box at auction last week. The top is quartersawn oak, the bottom is nailed on, and the sides are joined with hand-cut dovetails. There is a lock on the front for which I have no key.

The measurements are roughly 7x13" and about 3" deep

I'm posting here hoping someone has an idea about the original purpose of this box.

(Edit: I found some info on dates: it seems that W. Richards produced guns at his Tithebarn Street address between 1907 and 1917.)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Liked Replies
#637922 Nov 23rd a 01:12 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Best Quality donut box.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ted
2 members like this
#637929 Nov 23rd a 02:16 PM
by craigd
craigd
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Best Quality donut box....

I'm going with cookie box, looks like it might have had a false floor, really important if you don't want 'em squishing each other. It's got the handcut dovetails, but expedited appearing lid and floor? Maybe, someone's gramps made themselves up a neato box? Happy Thanksgiving all.
2 members like this
#637899 Nov 23rd a 12:49 AM
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
I considered that, but I have a hard time seeing it. Most cartridge boxes I've seen are designed for the shells to lay on their side.

would they go upright like in the one picture? (other pictures for size reference)

1 member likes this
#637932 Nov 23rd a 03:13 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by bsteele
If the bottom is nailed on it is unlikely to be a cartridge box of any kind. Nails would work loose under the weight of the ammo. The ones I have seen are almost always made with dovetails, or finger joints for the more inexpensive cases.

W Richards Liverpool was a fine maker. Not to be confused with the multitude of continental junkers utilizing the Richards name to capitalize on Westley Richards’ reputation. William Richards was the real deal.

Lloyd3 has a W. Richards boxlock ejector that is well above par. Nice long length of pull and the stock bent for a lefty, which, I once was. Having to shoot off the right shoulder has cured the lust I felt handling that old gun, but, you are correct, a fine gun maker, indeed.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#637936 Nov 23rd a 04:43 PM
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
If it were a cartridge box, it should have straps and handles. My guess is that it may have displayed something that W. Richards sold, possibly not a gun, but gun related. Oak was probably. Used circa 1850 or so. I have a very fine W. Richards double rifle. Circa 1865, it is cased in mahogany,
1 member likes this
#637946 Nov 23rd a 06:39 PM
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
I reckon it is a cartridge box, with 49 in each half. Possibly used to top up the usual box that held 250.
They would all have been placed shot down, primer upwards for faster reloading by your loader.

HB
1 member likes this
#637955 Nov 23rd a 11:00 PM
by Fudd
Fudd
Originally Posted by Woodreaux
The problem with that is that finding those kinds of skilled tradesmen is not so easy in this epoch of cheap and disposable. I'm not even certain we have a real locksmith left in Baton Rouge.

You may be pleasantly surprised. As long as there are landlords and last wills and testaments, there will be real locksmiths. And making an uncomplicated key from the age of steam was a bagatelle for the guy I went to. The lockworks on your box look to be of the same basic design and age as the one I had finagled.
1 member likes this
#637975 Nov 24th a 02:21 PM
by keith
keith
Obviously, the box is simply an early version of this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Way back when, many items were packed and shipped in wooden boxes that would be considered too costly, too wasteful, and too labor intensive today. Guys could order guns through the mail, and they would be shipped direct from the factory or dealer in a wooden box. Milk and soda pop was delivered in wooden crates. Fruit and other produce came in wooden boxes. I keep some of my chisels and checkering tools in wooden cigar boxes that were fairly well made, and cost only a buck or two.

I suppose that someday in the future, if guns and forums like this still exist, someone may post a Thread here to speculate what might have been shipped in this Amazon box. It probably wasn't a gun, because the box is not lost or damaged beyond recognition.
1 member likes this
#638012 Nov 25th a 04:21 AM
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Is it possible there are pieces missing? Looks like trays may have rested on those ledger boards front and back. No idea what that would mean but they are there for some purpose.

I believe the pieces you are seeing are simply there to hold the center divider in place, without having to cut a rabbet in the front and back.

(HistoricBore, you can see that I can fit 7 shells if they are alternating. Not so if they are all heads or tails up.)

There are also screws on the front and back faces to keep the divider from falling out:

[url=https://ibb.co/LvYbKsG]]

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Is it big enough to have once held a brace of pistols? Perhaps there are sign of other partitions in it at one time?

I see no signs of other partitions and I don't think it's nearly big enough to hold pistols, unless they were very small.
1 member likes this
#638065 Nov 26th a 12:03 AM
by craigd
craigd
Just purely fun guessing. By era, I think the boards were machine planed? The box lid, to me, is a problem. I am still guessing it's a later repair, not only because of the split, but it might not have been laying flat. The rigid cross grain gluing in the rabbet is not so good, but no doubt it works in this case. I think the rabbet was used to retain the original top, I'm still guessing repair, so that the lid still functioned at its original thickness.

The reason I leaned towards thinking utilitary construction, is because the lid doesn't follow wood movement rules. Back to strips attached inside the lid, rather than in rabbets. Maybe, it was a relatively tight squeeze between the sides and the hinges, maybe it might have been too bulky to close on the intended contents? Yes, I noticed the layout lines. The pins might be safe width at the top and bottom, where the piece might have had better visual balance if they were more proportional to the center pin? Again, just some guessing out loud, seeing what story it might tell, not picking on the box. Take care.
1 member likes this
#638097 Nov 27th a 01:40 PM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Woodreaux
Some more interesting things re: the joinery for the woodworkers in the group or the simply interested among us:

The sides are joined by classic, British-style dovetails with wide tails and tiny pins

The top is made of two boards joined by narrow /thin board on each side running in a rabbet (rebate in Brit-speak)

And the bottom is simply nailed on with what appear to be headless, cut brad nails.

You can pretty much date the box by the nails that they used. I believe they stopped using square nails around the 1890s or so in furniture. So, I would date the box before the 1890s.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.