May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Hammergun, Bret Adams, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 860 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,395
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
campero, CJF, mc, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by CJF
CJF
Does anyone know of a reference showing when a patent-use-number might have been assigned to an Anson & Deeley boxlock?

I'm referring to the number stamped on the action flats under the left barrel and marked "Anson & Deeley's Patent XXXX" I'm looking to know if I can tell when a particular gun with made using this PUN marking.

Were ranges assigned in blocks to different makers, of did they all work with Westley Richards to have a number assigned to their specific gun in question?

For reference, I'm looking at a piece with a patent use number of 58XX. I've seen some other guns with higher numbers suggesting the gun I'm researching was pre-1893, if the numbers were done sequentially across all makers. Proofs on the gun are pre-nitro.

Thank you,
Chris
Liked Replies
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree with Argo44 that A&D patent use numbers are of little if any assistance in dating a gun. I think that they may have been allocated in blocks to different makers.

That raises the question, has anyone encountered a duplicate PUN on guns from different makers?

The Edwinson Green shown above, an early A&D with no bottom bolt probably dates from 1880 as its serial number is slightly below 2922 recorded when the surviving Edwinson Green records start in 1881
3 members like this
by Argo44
Argo44
I went down this rabbit hole numerous times, most recently looking at A&D pun's. Bottom line is - there is no consistency and thus you cannot use these numbers to date a gun, unless it's very early on or is one of the last numbers used before the expiration of a patent. Believe me.. I assembled databases, created graphs, did the research, looked over several popular patents. Don't even try to go there except for fun.

And by the way, the A&D patent expired on 10 May 1889 which should mean your gun is pre- that date. (Or at least the action was built before that date).

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=567037

For what it's worth in my Reilly database of extant guns (and PUN's are rarely published in ads) the last known Reilly gun with a published/known A&D PUN is 30768 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16, New Oxford Street, London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. A&D patent use #8245. The Reilly SN dates per my chart to fall 1888. Reilly probably built another 300 box-locks between 30768 and the expiration of the A&D patent - those guns no longer exist or have yet to come to light.

And Chris, how about some information on your gun. That is always interesting; photos included.
2 members like this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.