Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
airmedic1, BrentD, Prof, canvasback, DropLockBob, eeb, graybeardtmm3, Imperdix, ithaca1, John Roberts, keith, Ken Nelson, LGF, mc, old colonel, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, tw
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#638240 11/30/2023 3:51 AM
by SXS 40
SXS 40
I know asking for opinions is opening a can of worms. Stocking my bar and looking for suggestions for the best/smoothest after hunt/shoot bourbon and scotch. Try to keep under $75.00 a bottle. Go for it guys.

Thanks
Liked Replies
#638264 Nov 30th a 02:40 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
My daddy said drinking Scotch just proves you can cultivate a taste for shixt if you eat enough of it. Regular folks down here don't make much difference between Bourbon and Tennesse sour mash, so Jack Daniel Black is pretty popular, and the better do it yourselfers still have a discriminating clientele.
Mike
4 members like this
#638388 Dec 2nd a 04:28 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Pics of the bar..,
If any of you ever come through northern Utah…let me know….open invite. Ya, even guys like BrentD. That’s how I roll. Straight up A-hole…but I take care of my people. Hell, we can all find something to drink to!!!!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The Edradour. Brought back direct from Scotland courtesy of one of my best friends and hunting partners, Tim Jones.

How many of you have one of these!?? Courtesy of my brother. He’s SF and was in Scotland training with the SAS.

I don’t how many of you have experienced this delightful concoction….but it is devine!!!
4 members like this
#638319 Dec 1st a 02:33 PM
by mc
mc
One bourbon,one scotch and one beer
3 members like this
#638348 Dec 1st a 10:37 PM
by Bluestem
Bluestem
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by mc
One bourbon,one scotch and one beer

Definitely, in a hurry to get wasted….

Best,
Ted

It's a song, Ted. Tom Waits.

Written by Rudy Toombs, popularized by John Lee Hooker and George Thorogood.
3 members like this
#638840 Dec 8th a 04:16 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Having a Scot ancestry doesn't necessarily mean you like Scotch, Gene. Tastes like bad scorched moonshine to me. I tried very hard to "acquire a taste" for it, but sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze. I'm a bourbon man.
3 members like this
#638277 Nov 30th a 06:28 PM
by Chantry
Chantry
Good vodka, Irish Whiskey and bourbon can be gotten at reasonable prices.

Good Scotch is overpriced, but The Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are all good scotches and "light" enough for novice Scotch drinkers. Some of the types are very much an acquired taste, such as Islay.

To my tastes Johnny Walker Red or Black, Dewars and others in the same class are crap and taste bad.

Your best bet is to go to a good liquor store and ask them for recommendations.

If you go to bars Jameson's or Bushmill's are always my choice. Good quality at a reasonable price.
2 members like this
#638299 Dec 1st a 12:40 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
[quote=eeb If you want something different, try aged dark rum.[/quote]

https://www.papaspilar.com/pages/papas-rum
JR
2 members like this
#638303 Dec 1st a 01:47 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
You guys and your hard booze.

Best,
Ted
#638370 Dec 2nd a 01:09 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
[/quote]

Yeah, I know the tune. Wasn't sure if you did. You miss on a lot of things.

BTW, how many grouse did you kill with just wads this year? laugh[/quote]

None. How many Springfields did you blow up this year?

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#638870 Dec 8th a 11:47 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I've settled in with Wild Turkey 101 as my everyday bourbon. A handle is +/- $45 here. There are many that have been mentioned here that I really like, but the smoke and earth of 101 is good to me. I'm going to try some Angel's Envy soon just because. The best bourbon I've ever had was Pappy Van Winkle 20 y.o. Fantastic. William Larue Weller is a close second. Stan and I be simpatico on Scotch, a hard no thank ye.
JR
2 members like this
#638265 Nov 30th a 02:42 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
My daddy said drinking Scotch just proves you can cultivate a taste for shixt if you eat enough of it. Regular folks down here don't make much difference between Bourbon and Tennesse sour mash, so Jack Daniel Black is pretty popular, and the better do it yourselfers still have a discriminating clientele.
Mike
1 member likes this
#638308 Dec 1st a 02:57 AM
by canvasback
canvasback
Brent, going to try that marinade.
1 member likes this
#638315 Dec 1st a 12:42 PM
by ithaca1
ithaca1
1800 Anejo.
No scotch or Bourbon for me.
1 member likes this
#638329 Dec 1st a 06:04 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Le Fusil tells about a scarce brand of scotch, The Edradour. When I was in the retail liquor business, The Edradour supply was kept "off the shelf". It was a wee bit hard to get. Things have probably changed since then. I have been a consumer, rather than a huckster, for going on 24 years now. I have had it all, but I still don't enjoy an Islay. With the ridiculous prices of single malt in the last decade or two, I have learned to enjoy a higher end bourbon when in a spending mood, but Evan Williams Black when I want my money's worth without being cheated.
1 member likes this
#638241 Nov 30th a 04:03 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Laphroaig Select easy to find $50.
For $100, and worth every penny, Lagavulin Offerman. Get it right now. It will not last long if it isn't sold out already.
1 member likes this
#638836 Dec 8th a 03:57 AM
by LGF
LGF
Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg. Islay in winter is on my bucket list, to see the geese and visit the distilleries. Highland Park or Balvenie when feeling wan and pale.

Glenmorangie brings me back to Aberdeen 50 years ago, and the sainted Professor Dunnett, who at a party one night took me by the hair, tipped my head back, and said "Young Frank, it is time you learn to drink whisky", and put the bottle in my mouth. He would bring his own bottle to parties, finish it off, and be at his desk analyzing data the next morning at 8.
1 member likes this
#638391 Dec 2nd a 05:00 AM
by Bluestem
Bluestem
That's a lot of gun cleaning solvent, Dustin.
1 member likes this
#638843 Dec 8th a 05:00 AM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
]
1 member likes this
#638864 Dec 8th a 10:38 PM
by DropLockBob
DropLockBob
Originally Posted by Hal
Cabin Still still being made? We called it Stab 'n Kill.

Yep, it's still around, but I tend to avoid such swill, Jim Beam, etc. I wouldn't even put it in bbq sauce.
1 member likes this
#638293 Nov 30th a 09:39 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
First, I rarely if ever sneer at another man's drink of choice. Unless it's a cooler. Maybe a few of you are feeling a bit insecure.

Second, Bourbon, Rye Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. There is swill and sublime with each. I typically have more Scotch than anything else, purely because in my little town, there is a better selection. Here's the current assortment of Scotch. (a bit hard to get them in one pic).

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
1 member likes this
#638304 Dec 1st a 02:06 AM
by Fudd
Fudd
Originally Posted by canvasback
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Luxury.

I will always remember my first and second glasses of Laphroaig 10. First one was, 'What in Hell did I spend my money on? This tastes like tincture of iodine!' Second one was, 'Hrrm! Buggers may be onto something.'

Ardbeg 10 is Laphroaig double-shotted with chain. Two university-educated Glaswegians having a fistfight in one's mouth. It remains the stiffest, most daunting malt I've ever consumed. Love the stuff. Haven't had a glass in ten years, but it's memorable.
1 member likes this
#638867 Dec 8th a 11:23 PM
by Fudd
Fudd
A couple of years ago at my summer weekend hangout in ruffed grouse and spruce grouse country, the survivors at end of season. Some for mixing, most for sipping. The couple on the Ieft, I won't ever buy again. Glenfiddich 12's gotten too leathery in the past few years, and The Singleton, well, it just didn't do it. But the others... Yes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
#638871 Dec 8th a 11:50 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
You may really like Angel's Envy, John. I thought it was pretty dang good. Watch the mail. There be some Oak Park "Special" Corn Whiskey coming soon. wink
1 member likes this
#638874 Dec 9th a 12:03 AM
by DropLockBob
DropLockBob
Wild Turkey 101 == best value in bourbon, in my ever so humble opinion. Had a finger of Pappy Van Winkle a little while back, fabulous stuff. Pretty hard to come by here.

Heard the angel's envy was good, a couple of ladies at a recent party were ordering it in old fashioned's. I was sipping Glenmorangie at the time, and wondering if that was a good use for fine whiskey. I kept my thoughts to myself.
1 member likes this
#638882 Dec 9th a 01:52 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
And further, Wild Turkey 81 is for amateurs.
JR
1 member likes this
#638852 Dec 8th a 04:27 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
For the readers' information, Four Roses was a very inexpensive blended whiskey in the fifties and sixties. Today's version of Four Roses is a premium to super premium bourbon of good reputation.
1 member likes this
#639031 Dec 11th a 09:27 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Imperial is a blended American whiskey, even though it may taste good, it is beneath the "xxx" of the posters on this site. I couldn't think of a word to replace my "xxx". Maybe "prestige" may make it. As I explained to a lady who asked me about the suitability of a spirit she was considering purchasing, "Madam, I drink for a completely different reason than you do." We then restarted our discussion on a different plane.
1 member likes this
#639062 Dec 12th a 03:50 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
At least Stan has his quantities right.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.