April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (HMAK, Sun Dog, 3 invisible), 445 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, earlyriser, gunmaker, mc, NCTarheel, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Vall
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#638509 12/03/2023 6:41 PM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
I decided to give myself 3-4hrs this week after work to do a project for myself. The gun in particular was handed down through the family, not a high end piece compared to most of the stuff I do, but she see’s good use deer hunting on my property.

I’ve always been enamored by Joel Dorleacs stock shaping and style, a combination of traditional with an aggressive flair. Looking at antique Marlin Deluxe lever guns, I believe in inspiration from such. Specifically the line from the toe that runs up into the wrist and terminates on top of the wrist. I’m actually shaping up a .375 customer gun that is close, but still not as aggressive. So finally, on my own piece, I pushed my comfort zone from the subdued. I took the “deluxe” lines and pushed those boundaries.

I’ll plan to use this factory stock I’ve shaped and have it duplicated into a much nicer piece of wood, so I’m not going to bother with a fine oil finish or checkering. Maybe consider adding a cheakpiece before doing so. I’ve slimmed the forend a lot and plan to do an 1885 forend cap instead of the 336 forend band. Considering reducing mag tube length as well, engraving, and CCH.

The rather pudgy Marlin 336 stock followed by my shaped factory stock.

https://i.imgur.com/uBzzC6j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sNMwGdu.jpg
Liked Replies
#638612 Dec 5th a 12:17 AM
by Vall
Vall
Maybe some inspiration here. My 1893 factory engraved deluxe rifle:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 members like this
#639786 Dec 23rd a 07:22 AM
by SDH-MT
SDH-MT
I built this M-36, .38-55 for myself about 25 years ago and have hunted with it quite a bit. There are extensive photos in my Custom Rifle in black and white book.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This Model 94, .44-40 was completed for a client about a decade ago. It was originally a straight grip rifle. Both rifles have custom English walnut stocks, were rebarreled with custom magazines and other modifications. Michael Dubber engraved and gold inlayed each.
3 members like this
#638520 Dec 3rd a 09:54 PM
by bushveld
bushveld
Aaron; the vintage shape you carved is just perfect. It is a stand out.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
2 members like this
#638689 Dec 6th a 02:23 AM
by Vall
Vall
Originally Posted by mc
Vall,I have an 94 model takedown half round barrel short mag.great looking rifle

I recently sold my deluxe 1894 in .25-20 to my son inlaw. A 26" half octagon barrel, half magazine, pistol gripped, checkered, presentation grade wood, and special sights in all 3 locations. I'm pretty stuck on Marlin Ballards and Remington single shots, and he wants to get into collector firearms.

2 members like this
#639835 Dec 24th a 07:43 AM
by SDH-MT
SDH-MT
Yes, I did cease the web presence. I'm retired, except for my own projects.
Most of my wintertime spent bird watching in Baja, Mexico.
Tacos adabado and dos eqis... Margarita Night
Vermilion Flycatcher
Reddish Egret
2 members like this
#638511 Dec 3rd a 07:35 PM
by earlyriser
earlyriser
Gunmaker,
I really like it! I’m a Marlin fan myself. For me, one of the most beautifully shaped stocks in the gun world is the deluxe pistol grip on 1893 Marlins. Yours is very similar, and as elegant. Related to the 1893 pistol grips, I also like the squared off finger lever that is found on them. To me the square Ness of the square finger lover is a great contrast to the curves of the 1893 pistol grip. Building one like that is on my dream list for the future. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I really admire it.

Larry
1 member likes this
#638652 Dec 5th a 01:30 PM
by mc
mc
Vall,I have an 94 model takedown half round barrel short mag.great looking rifle
1 member likes this
#638602 Dec 4th a 10:33 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by gunmaker
I decided to give myself 3-4hrs this week after work to do a project for myself. The gun in particular was handed down through the family, not a high end piece compared to most of the stuff I do, but she see’s good use deer hunting on my property.

I’ve always been enamored by Joel Dorleacs stock shaping and style, a combination of traditional with an aggressive flair. Looking at antique Marlin Deluxe lever guns, I believe in inspiration from such. Specifically the line from the toe that runs up into the wrist and terminates on top of the wrist. I’m actually shaping up a .375 customer gun that is close, but still not as aggressive. So finally, on my own piece, I pushed my comfort zone from the subdued. I took the “deluxe” lines and pushed those boundaries.

I’ll plan to use this factory stock I’ve shaped and have it duplicated into a much nicer piece of wood, so I’m not going to bother with a fine oil finish or checkering. Maybe consider adding a cheakpiece before doing so. I’ve slimmed the forend a lot and plan to do an 1885 forend cap instead of the 336 forend band. Considering reducing mag tube length as well, engraving, and CCH.

The rather pudgy Marlin 336 stock followed by my shaped factory stock.

https://i.imgur.com/uBzzC6j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sNMwGdu.jpg

Nice! That's a dramatic improvement. Fat stocks are the bane of many production guns. The 1950s version of the M39-A was another. They were/are marvelous guns with great accuracy and reliability. For my money, the best repeating .22 rf ever built. .22 Lever gun matches tend to look like Marlin 39A family reunions. But they could lose some excess lumber. The butt isn't so bad and even nice to have a .22 with a meaty grip and some heft, but the fore end was atrocious. It was my first plunge into modifying guns to suit my tastes. I too about a pound of wood off, but could have taken another half.

1 member likes this
#638736 Dec 7th a 12:52 AM
by Vall
Vall
Originally Posted by mc
At one time I had quite a few marlins I really like them my 94 is 32 20 so is my 89 don't have an 88 anymore I have a 93 in 25 36 marlin it's a plain carbine I wanted to make one of my 39s look like your gun that's a nice looking marlin

At one time I owned over 200 Marlin lever guns almost all pre WWI, with a small sprinkling of 1920's variations on the Model 39, '97, and '93.
I had every cartridge version made of the 1881, a total of a dozen of them with different variations of rifles, carbines, and even a couple schuetzen version 1881's. I think I had close to 2 dozen 1893's, and about the same of 1894's. Lots of 1891's (including a 1st year side loader) and 1892's. Plus a few Model 410 shotguns, and 1888's, 1889's, 1895's, etc. It really got out of control with my obsession to have all sorts of variations, cartridges, barrel lengths, and really oddball special orders.
I still have my very first Marlin; an 1893 takedown in .25-36 with factory installed and serial numbered Whitney Kennedy trapdoor buttplate. One I sold to a friend, and he willed it back to me when he passed.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.