May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (cable), 828 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Argo44, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, LeFusil, Mark II, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#642086 02/08/2024 3:50 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Does any one here have any information on Damon gunmakers of St. Étienne?
Company history?
Pictures of the factory/gunworks?

Thanks,

Dustin
Liked Replies
#646079 Apr 25th a 01:40 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
If anyone is curious as to what the insides of a Petrik look like…here you go. I just finished a complete tear down for a long over due strip & clean on this 20 bore magnum Damon-Petrik.
I’ve found that the action and mechanics are simple, well thought out, and very robust. One thing that stood out was the precision of all the parts. On my Mitutoyo micrometer, all of the pins measured exactly the same with literally zero deviation. You don’t find that type of precision very often, even on some of the most expensive guns out there. All of the parts including the triggers are fitted very nicely. The striker block is so precisely fitted it’s unreal. Very nice work. The striker block is a novel idea too! There are some tooling marks on some of the parts, but still not bad…the parts that needed to be finely polished (bearing surfaces, etc) are.
A neat little feature on the trigger plate is an inspection hole that is machined so that a gunsmith can look at the sear-tumbler engagement to assess whether it’s dirty, damaged, or requiring lube, etc. without fully disassembling the trigger plate. Neat stuff.

The guts:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Nicely machined action….

Inspection port for sear/tumbler engagement

Nicely put together:

2 members like this
#642129 Feb 8th a 11:24 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
I’ll do some deeper searches once back home and when the Mac is repaired.
1 member likes this
#642195 Feb 10th a 02:22 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
I don't know Dustin. It's the way Neltir spelled it. It could be the Frencification of a Slavic name or it could just be Neltir. It is Petrik on Naturabuy.
1 member likes this
#642202 Feb 10th a 09:50 AM
by fab500
fab500
La vérité du moment.

[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

1 member likes this
#642387 Feb 13th a 05:48 PM
by fab500
fab500

1 member likes this
#642421 Feb 14th a 02:46 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
FAB, it appears we're missing page 103 and probably 105.
FAB il me semble que nous manque la page 103 de l'article et probablement 105.

Well I messed that grammar up:

"It seems that" (Il semble que) - second clause takes the subjunctive
"It doesn't seem that" - second clause takes the subjunctive
"It seems to me that" - second clause - no subjunctive
"It doesn't seem to me that: - second clause - subjunctive tense.

And the verb "to miss" "manquer" is reversed in French.
. . ."it is missing" = "il manque" but
. . ."I miss you" becomes "You are missed by me" (Tu me manque).

So the easiest way to say the above would be rather abruptly:
. . ."il manque les pages 103 et 105." (it is missing pages 103 and 105).

So the correct sentence would be (I think) (Manquer is the same in the subjective and the present).
. . . ."Il me semble qu'il manque la page 103 est peut être la page 105."

Now I need a drink - (Maintenant j'ai besoin d'un verre)
1 member likes this
#646081 Apr 25th a 02:08 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Thanks for your excellent investigative gunsmithing Dustin. To give credit where it is due, on the disassembly questions the person who responded to a post on passionlachasse.fr was FAB500.
https://www.passionlachasse.com/t40494-damon-petrik-superposes-demonter-larme

This is a historic line and surely will be consulted by others, who might acquire this French relatively unknown over here but classic and beautiful superposed shotgun in our country.
1 member likes this
#642191 Feb 10th a 01:34 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Dustin, here is an explanation of the Damon-Petrick superposed action which is sprinkled all over Naturabuy. Neltir, the poster is one of my favorites - he worked for 50 years in the Saint-Etienne gun industry and knew everything. He would be 88 now. I don't know if he's still around. Like many gunsmiths he is somewhat irascible and impatient of ignorance. I've rearranged the comments in the line to make them more apt.

I don't quite understand what a rifle "trunnion" (pivot) system is (as used on an AK-47) or what a closing system "a tuile" entails. "La Manu" is of course Manufrance. Anyway this will give a little more information on Andre Damon.

Looking for definitions:
-- Fermeture a Tuile

https://www.passionlachasse.com/t3797p150-ponce-huile-un-conseil

Neltir ! Pour Petrick, c'est Damon et pas Dumon ! Firme d'ailleurs bien française malgré un patronyme exotique : DAMON-PETRIK, ils exerçaient d'ailleurs à St-Etienne.

Re Damon-Petrick, it's Damon and not Dumon! It’s a very French firm despite an exotic surname: DAMON-PETRIK also wprked out of St-Etienne.

Oh Damon- Pétrick a fait pas mal d'armes en tous genres avant d'être associé a Pétrick , Damon a l'origine Damon André fabriquant de carabines , fusils,pistolets et révolvers a St Etienne était un grand producteur .

Damon made quite a few weapons of all kinds before being associated with Pétrick. Damon was originally Damon André manufacturing rifles, pistols and revolvers in St Etienne. He was a big producer.

Pétrick s'est installé a St Etienne en 1910 et Damon en 1919 au 87 rue des Francs Maçons il dépose sa marque de fabrique en 1919 le 2 décembre ,l'entreprise a fermée définitivement en 1968 elle était alors a la rue Fougerolles depuis 1948 .Damon fils était quand a lui a Bourg en Bresse depuis 1931 et jusqu'en 1952.

Pétrick settled in St Etienne in 1910 and Damon in 1919 at 87 rue des Francs Maçons he registered his trademark in 1919 on December 2, the company closed definitively in 1968. it had been at rue Fougerolles since 1948. Damon Jr. was in Bourg en Bresse from 1931 until 1952.

Oui merci .j'ai fait l'étourderie du jour !!!! En 1920 Pétrick de Paris fit un superposé a tourillons et c'est Damon a St Etienne qui le fabriqua et y apporta des éléments nouveaux . bien que principe du fusil Français a tourillons soit dû a Pidault un arquebusier a Auxerre qui réalisa le premier en 1885 . Damon créa donc le verrouillage et l'armement par la clef sur son fusil " Stepha" , le levier de clef entraine les chiens a l'armé (par analogie avec Darne) et la piéce qui forme la fermeture en coiffant les canons recule par le mouvement de la clef et libère les canons pour le basculage .c'est a partir de là que la Manu a appliquée le systéme a ses créations .

In 1920 Pétrick of Paris made a superimposed trunnion system. Damon in St Etienne manufactured it and added new elements. The first French trunnion rifle was invented in 1885 by Pidault, an arquebusier in Auxerre. Damon subsequently created the locking and cocking system using the key on his "Stepha" rifle. The key lever cocks the hammers (something like a Darne); the part which forms the closure of the barrels, is rotated back by the movement of the key, releasing the barrels and allowing them to tilt. La Manu applied this system to its creations.

Ils sont, il me semble les "inventeurs" de la fermeture dite "en tuile" dont ont bénéficié certains Finn et la deuxième génération de Falcor de la Manu !

They are, it seems to me, the "inventors" of the so-called "en tuile" (stacked tile?) closure system from which certain “Finns?” and the second generation of Falcor of la Manu benefited!. (Falcor is Manufrance O/U model).

La dénomination Damon -Pétrick s'est opérée en 1950 par la réunion des deux firmes avec l'appellation : "Damon et Pétrick fusils superposés a fermeture a Tuile".

The Damon-Pétrick name was established in 1950 by the merger of the two firms. It was called “Damon and Pétrick superimposed rifles with Tile? (Tuile) closure"

D'ailleurs si on regarde bien le fusil idéal qui s'arme par le mouvement de la clef en même temps que le verrouillage est une variante améliorée du système de Damon ou la clef courte faisait effectuer un effort assez grand pour bander les ressorts d'armement et que la Manu dota son Idéal d'une longue clef sous forme d'un levier d'armement qui vient se loger sur le pourtour du pontet et donc donna une grande souplesse a la manoeuvre .

If we look closely at the ideal rifle, which is armed by the movement of the key at the same time the locking mechanism is activated, it is essentially an improved variant of the Damon system. Damon used a short key which required a fairly large effort to bend the cocking springs. Manu equipped its Ideal with a long key in the form of a cocking lever housed on the perimeter of the trigger guard and which, therefore, provided a much easier movement.

https://www.naturabuy.fr/SUPERPOSE-LE-SUPER-FRANCAIS-CALIBRE-12-65-item-9348397.html
1 member likes this
#642390 Feb 13th a 06:18 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
Wow!! Merci FAB. Chaos, rioting, looting, disfunction, anarchy, war. . . .and now google takes over!!! My job here is done. smile Gene
1 member likes this
#642450 Feb 14th a 04:34 PM
by Joe in Charlotte
Joe in Charlotte
Found it.

https://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/artisans%20p%20q%20r/a%20petrik%20damon%20gb.htm

My gun is a twin to the last two color photos on the last page.

Joe
1 member likes this
#642420 Feb 14th a 02:44 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
You guys that own Remington model 32s now know who to thank.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#642485 Feb 14th a 09:25 PM
by fab500
fab500
Pétrik et de la précision de fabrication des Etablissements Damon.
Damon modernise le fusil et abandonne progressivement le système sur étriers à partir de 1942 (le dernier fusil de ce type sera fabriqué en 1947) pour celui sur tourillons. Le verrou à tuile (brevet Pétrik) qui coiffe le canon et coulisse vers l'arrière sous le mouvement de la clef est en effet si résistant qu'associé au basculage sur tourillons, qui assurent une assise solide des canons dans les flancs de la bascule, il se passe de tout autre système, crochets ou verrou supplémentaire. Le système à tourillons a été inventé par Pidault, arquebusier à Auxerre en 1885 et se retrouve sur le Boss superposé. Les premiers tourillons ont un large crochet interne, puis deux crochets traversent la bascule par deux lumières et sont visibles à l'extérieur.

L'arrêt des machines et d'une histoire.
Après la mort de M. Damon en 1950, la société sera gérée jusqu'à sa fermeture, en 1984, par ses deux fils et sa fille. J'ai eu la chance de rencontrer cette dernière, Mme Cizeron, dans les années 1990. Je me souviens de mon émotion lorsque je suis arrivé au 7 rue des Francs-Maçons, à Saint-Etienne, quelques années après la prononciation de la liquidation amiable. Mme Cizeron m'attendait à l'entrée de l'usine, dont nous avons fait ensemble la visite. En passant la porte, je remarquais la pendule de pointage arrêtée, certainement, à la dernière heure du jour de fabrication. Le silence absolu qui régnait procurait une sensation bien étrange dans ces ateliers remplis de machines, toutes à l'arrêt. Au pied des fraiseuses, des caisses remplies de pièces de rebus (bascules, frettes, pontets) me permirent d'appréhender les différentes opérations mécaniques de la fabrication du fusil.
Mon hôtesse m'autorisa à consulter les registres de production année par année. C'est peu de dire que dater les fusils Damon est difficile. La numérotation change avec les calibres, les étriers et les tourillons, les extracteurs et les éjecteurs. Les notes rapides que j'ai pu prendre m'ont toutefois permis de dater la plupart des fusils de la marque à partir du n°1, en novembre 1926, jusqu'au dernier, sans doute vers 1983. Les numéros 1,2,3 et 4 n'ont pas d'éjecteur, le 6 en possède, le 7 est avec un faux corps de renforcement, le 8 avec faux corps de platines encastrés et indépendants, verrou obturateur et canons avec double crochet de recul. On dénombre aussi quelques Duchâteau à platines et contre-platines. Il existe aussi quelques fermetures de type Francotte. Je connais même un express en calibre 9,3 x 74R fabriqué avec une bascule et une frette Damon. Avec les divers suppléments proposés lors de la commande, la diversité des modèles était grande. Comme le plupart des manufactures, les Etablissements Damon mentionnaient sur leur catalogue des modèles "bis" (il y eut des numéros 1 bis, 2 bis et 3 bis), assemblés par les meilleurs ouvriers et bénéficiant de pièces de choix, sélectionnées parmi les mieux usinées. Ces fusils n'étaient pas identifiés par un marquage particulier, mais sont reconnaissables par un œil averti.
Mon modèle préféré est le numéro 2, avec la bande entre les deux canons et un basculage sur tourillons ; les calibres 12 que je possède pèsent 2,6 kg. Je détiens aussi un numéro 1 en calibre 16 (2,3 kg), qui est un régal pour chasser la bécasse. Mes fils ont des numéros 2 de calibre 20 fabriqués avec des bascules de calibre 16 ; ils pèsent 2,6 kg et leur frette est plus épaisse.
Comme j'aime ces fusils légers, que ce soit pour chasser le lièvre aux chiens courants sur les causses du Lot et de la Lozère, du mont Aigoual ou la bécasse au chien d'arrêt sur le plateau des Millevaches... Me revient en mémoire une lettre écrite à Molsheim en 1931 et adressée à André Damon : "J'ai des fusils d'autres constructions de même modèle, et je suis très heureux de pouvoir dire que je considère votre construction comme tout à fait supérieure. L'arme est excessivement légère et le fini des détails est tout à fait exceptionnel." Ces mots sont ceux d'un certain Ettore Bugatti, le célèbre fondateur de l'enseigne automobile de luxe et de compétition. Tout est dit, fermez le ban !
1 member likes this
#643030 Feb 23rd a 07:46 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
"Super P???ton" - top arc
Suspect this is a barrel model: Possibly with a barrel made by Jean Breuil.
https://www.poussecornet.com/en/lot/107777/13080813-handmade-saintetienne-rifle-mo
Handmade SAINT-ETIENNE rifle model SUPER JAY. Caliber 16/75. Superimposed barrels of 72,5 cm by Jean BREUIL. . .

"Pierre" - across the middle:
Likely this is a short form of the French word "le pierrage" which refers to the finish of the inside of the barrels using abrasive stones (pierres abrasives). (comment: the first name Pierre (Peter) in French does not use an accent grave over the first "e" because of the double "r." There is a noun "pièrre" meaning "stone/rock" - same origin as the name - which some sites use accent grave in spite of the double "r," which appears to be an error. However, the "pierrè" on this gun appears to have an accent grave over the last "è" which would be pronounced "Pi-er-rrer" which doesn't make much sense).

"P.Terrier" - on the lower arc:
Paul Terrier, barrel finisher associated with Jean Breuil and Damon. It looks like per below that Terrier may have worked out of the Damon shop on rue de Francs-Maçon.
https://www.naturabuy.fr/FUSIL-A-PL...ETIENNE-CALIBRE-12-70-item-10002412.html

Here is a post that might help:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...rd=1&Number=626516&what=showflat

The name Pierre Dechelle has appeared here before:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=497422&page=5

Here is what I wrote at that time:

Pierre Dechelle. There are several guns with barrels with his name from the late 40's-60's on www.naturabuy.fr. Can't find a lot of history. There is some backing and forthing on Passionlachasse.com with mention of his name. Here is a little clip from an article I can't get total access to:

Rough translation: in the 40's the Barrel maker Jean Breuil (see connection to Damon) took on the services of a well known barrel maker Francois Pierre Deschelles, who had begun with the Manufacture National d'Armes. In 1946 Deschelles took over the barrel maker at rue des Francs-Maçon in Saint Etienne. (Comment: only gun maker in 1951 on rue des Francs-Maçon that I can find was Damon: Damon, 7 rue des Francs-Maçon) ; With his partner Paul Terrier he developed the honing of barrels in 1951 and adopted the stamp Pierre Dechelle and not Deschelle, which creates confusion.

Paul Terrier apparently in the 1970's opened a gun repair shop in Saint Etienne (same shop referred to on passionlachass.fr..).
www.canonnerie-stephanoise.fr/

Here is a Fanget barrel with "Pierrage Dechelle".
https://www.chassepassion.net/forums-chasse/topic/information-sur-un-fusil-de-famille/
According to Passion La chaise poster, "Le pierrage" was the internal finishing of the barrel. The fact that the name of the finisher was placed on the gun was an indication of the quality of the work. (edit: word turned out to already be in our Fr-Eng, Eng-Fr dictionary).
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.