April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gunning Bird, Fudd, Jtplumb, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 482 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, craigd, David Williamson, eeb, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, keith, LGF, mc, SKB, spring, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#642929 02/22/2024 1:42 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Are you up to it?
These are considered “soft” grouse.

Liked Replies
#643050 Feb 23rd a 10:37 PM
by Thruxton
Thruxton
I'm sorry that your thread has become derailed because, like you , I love the sight of the sport as shown in the video. However, apart from the fact that shooting that moor was banned in 2018 so the date on the film is questionable, the issues surrounding it are personal. I live just over the western horizon shown in the video and worked on and around the moor for tens of years. A convicted animal rights law breaker called Luke Steele from Ilkley was the driving force behind getting his Marxist followers to relentlessly lobby the labour Council to end shooting there. At a stroke, all aspects of grouse shooting and moor management were wiped out. It may look like a pretty traditional picture in the film, but, this happened just six years ago and to the people concerned the wound is still open. This probably isn't the best place to raise these issues but, to me, the video was more than a traditional/historical shoot image. It was a painful elegy .
Blue Remembered Hills
-----------------------------
Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A.E. Housman
6 members like this
#642987 Feb 23rd a 12:26 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Thruxton
Enjoy the video, there is no shooting up there now, banned by the Labour Council !! I was a ranger in that area for years and the moor was kept well in balance with heather burn and predator control allowing a perfect habitat for all sorts. It was the only place where I could regularly see Merlins nesting. Now its becoming rank overgrown heather full of foxes and crows with the ever increasing risk of more fires which will wipe out everything. Shame on them for their class war being pushed further and further into the countryside.

The left destroys everything it touches.

Best,
Ted
5 members like this
#642993 Feb 23rd a 02:31 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Try to enjoy the videos.
Everything in life is not just a red versus blue thing. If you want people to post Content, that is actually double guns and sporting related, you might want to think about that.

It gets tiresome.

Why would anybody want to post videos about exciting wing shooting with double guns, when all it does is boil over the latest social affront?

I’m going to try to get myself a few days on Irish woodcock and worry about something else.
4 members like this
#642984 Feb 23rd a 10:06 AM
by Thruxton
Thruxton
Enjoy the video, there is no shooting up there now, banned by the Labour Council !! I was a ranger in that area for years and the moor was kept well in balance with heather burn and predator control allowing a perfect habitat for all sorts. It was the only place where I could regularly see Merlins nesting. Now its becoming rank overgrown heather full of foxes and crows with the ever increasing risk of more fires which will wipe out everything. Shame on them for their class war being pushed further and further into the countryside.
2 members like this
#642992 Feb 23rd a 02:25 PM
by eeb
eeb
….In the name of justice and equality, which is code for class warfare and retribution
2 members like this
#643040 Feb 23rd a 09:07 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Try to enjoy the videos.
Everything in life is not just a red versus blue thing. If you want people to post Content, that is actually double guns and sporting related, you might want to think about that.

It gets tiresome.

Why would anybody want to post videos about exciting wing shooting with double guns, when all it does is boil over the latest social affront?

I’m going to try to get myself a few days on Irish woodcock and worry about something else.

You literally posted a video of something that has been outlawed, and are telling us to enjoy it, without regard to the despicable way it was stolen from humanity?

You might want to give that some more thought. I wake up pretty happy in the morning, typically, and don’t get good and POed until I realize they really don’t want me to quit hunting, they actually would prefer me dead. They would prefer that for you also, you just don’t grasp that yet.

I object, by the way. One day, you will, too. There exist bellwethers in life that you should not ignore.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#643051 Feb 23rd a 10:44 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
If that wasn’t so sad, I would laugh.

Do some fact checking.
Understand the land use laws in the UK.

I understand the former ranger, a dude who lives there, telling me you can’t shoot there anymore.

I understand it when he says the area is unkempt and unfit for anything save crows, and foxes.

I understood when I got a great gunsmith to work on the guns I imported who told me “England wouldn’t have him anymore”.

It seems sad to me that another, similar, video isn’t likely to be produced on the same grounds, anytime in the future.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#642931 Feb 22nd a 02:25 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
In case my ship comes in and I can afford such a shoot, I'll be keeping my last eight gauge. Yup, just in case.
1 member likes this
#642995 Feb 23rd a 03:05 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Try to enjoy the videos.

It gets tiresome.

The video is enjoyable. But it's all intertwined with current happenings. You should know and understand that. It's not a "red vs blue" thing CZ, it's right vs wrong, good vs bad, dark vs light. Most of us here have the eyes to see that and the ears to hear it. Try to awaken to what's happening right before you.
JR
1 member likes this
#643015 Feb 23rd a 05:06 PM
by eeb
eeb
Sorry John, I don’t get out of bed looking to be affronted.

I see migrating geese as a sign of spring. Not a pest that shits on the golf course.

I try to keep my American viewpoints out of British internal politics. Some arguments about grouse shooting in the UK look just like our conflicts about grazing on public western lands to me.
But I’m an American. I miss the subtleties of it all.

It would be nice if some guys here wanted to enjoy a late summer holiday, and give it a go.

You are quite correct CZ. I did enjoy the video and thanks for posting. I generally do not participate in “political”-type threads because they give me a headache and they always degenerate into awfulness. But as our fellow sportsmen and , country sports in general, in the UK are under constant pressure from the Labour Left, I am compelled to support those being affected.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.