doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 07:54 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111069453
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:00 PM
I would pay $25,000 for that T. Horsley hammer gun on the previous post before I ever pay a nickel for that piece of junk!!! That's the best Parker can produce??? or was it upgraded to an Invincible??? Poorly upgraded I would say!!
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:05 PM
yIkEs mAn I'd RatHeR hAvE a PlAiN jAnE vHe ThAn ThAt!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:15 PM
Parker is a great gun, durable and tough, built to be a dinner provider one moment and an replacement for an axe handle the next, but collectors have been trying to price it way above what it is for FAR TOOO LONG!!! And now its just plain overvalued and out of range for the people that most desire a tough well built American shotgun, tough well built Americans!!!
I say let the Parker collectors circle jerk themselves into believing they should get an adequate return on their INVESTMENT!! Its a tough well built shotgun built to be used not stored in a bank vault like commercial paper!!
Posted By: steve voss Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:18 PM
The wood to metal fit is absolutely horrible.

sv
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:31 PM
That's why I always laugh when the word 'upgrade' is used when referring to a gun that has been pimped.

I especially like the wood-metal fits, engraving in invisible areas, and the horrendous rib inscription.
Posted By: James M Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:33 PM
The serial number which is 151302 is not listed in the Parker book.
Jim
Posted By: bamboozler Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 08:39 PM
I would say that the guy who wanted to create his dream gun, commissioned the upgrade based his choice of craftsmen to work on it by the lowest bids.
Post deleted by Run With The Fox
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 09:09 PM
I do believe that is the gun found a few years ago by the power company worker out by some highlines.I think John Mann had the story on the gun
Posted By: Subgauge Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 09:36 PM
Pistol grip cap is very worn and cracked, probably not original to this gun.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 09:56 PM
Amigo Will...yes, I remember Tolly..the down to earth Sheppard
That was a merry jape wasn't it,eh?.went on for weeks.
Hope all is well with you n your's mate
That stock cheeck carving looks alittle coarse eh?
I'd rather have two 12grand Guns than that.Or three @ 8k...
I've always yearned for a Scott Imperial..or Greener top line SL
By the way Will..that Jones U/L Hammer Greener from AG&L a few years ago is still going like the the battery bunny
cheers
Franc
Posted By: CMWill Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 10:01 PM
Im not sure which one is worse

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111019327
Posted By: JM Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/25/08 11:16 PM
I'm no Parker expert, but I can't see any serial number on the barrel flats or tubes. The dolls head appears to have a sloppy loose fit in the cut out of the receiver. Wonder if it's a piece gun.
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 01:03 AM
JM, it's a piece all right!
Posted By: wb Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 03:09 AM
Just a question!
So you take a old Parker, slap on some engraving, maybe new wood/blue job and such.......... then all of a sudden it's worth twenty-five grand?
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 03:19 AM
Well....it's probably actually got a lot of work in it - more than just slapping on some engraving...but the problem is the quality is not there, nor does the world reward made-up guns that well.

It's a question of opportunity cost - what other real Parkers could you buy for $25 grand? Plenty of nice ones.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 11:33 AM
Just for fun I looked at this Parker you mentioned- a high raised vent rib on a bird gun in side-by-side configuration- looks like a debutante coming out party in the Hamptons where the "deb" is wearing a new bowling shirt--The only side by I've see, so far, in my gun show travels that wore a ventilated rib was a Model 21 Trap model with 32" tubes-don't know enough about them to tell if it was factory original or a after-thought, sure have seen my share of 30" Full field grade M12's with Simmons ribs and replacement wood and touted as "genuine M12 Trap Grade guns" so our Buyer Beware applies to all spectrums of the world of shotgunnery I should guess! RWTF
Posted By: Bryan Lee Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 05:41 PM
I looked at the pictures. Ha ha ha...

Is that a feral chicken on the bottom of the receiver......
Posted By: binko Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 06:35 PM
Did ya'll look at the Fox and the Uggie he also has for sale? This guy is "out of the box", someone please put him back in!

binko
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/26/08 11:53 PM
For 25K I would expect the dolls head to fit the frame. Not look like it was beat into a hole five times the normal size. A lot of upgrade that was done by some one who did not seem able to produce a finished product that was any where near the original in quality. Just another nasty, over decorated tomato stake to my eyes.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/27/08 12:29 PM
I would expect a lot more features like sidelock action with intercepting sears and Southgate ejectors.
Hey, is that gold thingy on side of that box a dragonfly, parrot,...
Posted By: keith Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/27/08 11:43 PM
Is that the Czars' long lost Parker? Could be why the Bolsheviks killed him.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 01:38 AM
Hey fellas, I'm by no means a Parker expert like Mr. Muderlak-and I can't 'spalin why the serial number (about 1914-15) can't be found- but I went through it throughly- compared it to the two Meriden AHE 12's in my safe- with a magnifying glass- these are my "findings" as a layperson: No known barrel makers initials on the flats- such as JG or WK-? this is a no. 1 and 1/2 frame gun with a barrel weight of 4 lbs. 3 oz. prior to striking and finish assembly? I should think that would fit with a no. 2 frame (as are mine) no grade number stamp- 6 is a AH, 7 is a AAH and 8 is the A-1 Special. As there were three known Invincibles made (one is 16 gauge so rule that out) what number was used for the three Invincibles- 9 would seem logical to me. Looking into the milled out frame, where you access the top lever trip, what is all the "boogering" in that area? Looking at the bottom of the receiver foto- Engraved is Parker Bros ahead of the trigger plate- After Remington bought Parker and moved to Ilion, it is my understanding that they engraved PARKER in script in that area- were any known Meriden mfg. high grade Parkers engraved like this?? Also, the screws are "clock oriented" but the engraving is slightly different one from the other- and there is a big gap on the plate to frame fit on the left hand barrel side-the lower tang and trigger guard bow area show poor wood to metal fit up, and the top tang areas are even worse- also, the radius of the top lever doesn't match the milled and finished radius of the frame- then the doll's head- huge gap, and the rear corners are filed off- both my A grade guns have perfect fit there, and the doll's head is square, with the developed bevel from the top of that locking device down to the base which fits (perfectly) into the milled out mortise in the frame-I didn't see if there is the post 1910 12 & 1/2 degree tool steel bolt plate? My guess- older VHE or PHE with Damascus barrels re-done and a extra digit- being a 1- added in-to make it a 6 digit serial number. Who is this clown trying to kid. There are Parker Collectors (I am NOT one) who know more about Parkers than the Pope does the Rosary-does this numbnutted idiot think anyone who has a spare $25K in their cookie jar is going to buy any shotgun in that price range without having it checked and verified by an expert on Parkers- such as Mr. DelGrego. Just shows to go ya, I guess.. RWTF
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 01:41 AM
A black Bakelite or plastic logo grip cap- from the BHE and up, I thought a gold grip cap was standard for the full style grip. I have an AHE 12 with the straight (English style) grip and a later one with the (POW- Prince of Wales- is that the dude that kissed off the Kingdom to marry an American divorcee-later became the Duke of Windsor??) half style grip- as I have seen mainly on the fine AH Fox guns..RWTF
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 01:50 AM
Keith, I can't stop laughing!!!! That is funny!!!!
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 02:08 AM
Fox, the dude says it is an upgrade, problem is it is not a quality upgrade.
Tim
Posted By: James M Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 05:12 AM

parker invincible upgrade by the late virgil graham of savannah georgia. 12gauge double trigger gun 30 inch barrells full and extra full.skelton butt 3 gold inlays . lop 13 7/8 drop 2 3/8, need ffl and 100 dollars shipping and insurance.

The above is the sellers description and he isn't claiming this is an original Parker Invincible but an upgrade done by a V. Graham. I think the only real question here is what is it really worth?
Jim
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/28/08 11:48 AM
I seem to recall the original? one housed at National Firearms Museum isn't very impressive either. Now that engraved Remi 31 in same exibit as the Purdey gun is spectacualr.
Posted By: George L. Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 02:24 AM
Jim told you guys that it is advertised as an "INVINCIBLE UPGRADE" done by the late Virgil Graham of Savannah, Georgia who I knew personally and who was cabable of magnificant work. Since we don't know the circumstances of why this particulat upgrade was done why not reserve our harsh comments until all the facts are known. It may help some of you to read the entire description before commenting. It may have belonged to someone's daddy or grand daddy who had used it and perhaps abused it. That someone may have wanted to just have it fixed up a little with a limited budget.

BTW Virgil accidentally asphixiated himself painting a Porsche with IMRON paint without proper ventilation. He will be missed!

Best Regards, George
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 02:45 AM
With all due respect, the mere fact that a gunsmith would also be painting a car, and without proper gear to boot, shows he is spread too thin to be doing Invincible-level work.

I wouldn't hire a heart surgeon who also does cell phone sales.
Posted By: James M Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 03:56 AM
Thanks George for the clarification on your part. I think there's been a "Rush to Judgement" here.
In defense of the creator; Who among us are capable of work of this quality even If you don't think it's top drawer? I've personally seen a ton of work that was way below this in quality. Is this comparable to what Parker could produce when the company was at it best? I doubt it but IMO it's not in the shoddy category either.
Jim
Posted By: George L. Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 04:19 AM
Right again Jim:Virgil was not only a superb gunsmith & engraver but also was as much a perfectionist in the restoration of classic automobiles. He had the proper gear. It was the ventilation system that failed, not him. I would lay odds that not one of us that posted on this thread could come anywhere close to the artistry that Virgil could display.

Just My Thoughts, George
Posted By: rabbit Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 10:12 AM
To paraphrase, Virg reached for the stars but they exceeded his gasp.

jack
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 09/29/08 03:21 PM
I never was complaining about the work Jim, I'm complaining about all Parkers and their price. Their owners think they have the greatest shotgun on earth capable of miracles unseen, well they don't and its about time to tell them so!!! They have a great shotgun but its not that great!! $25,000??? what is that guy smoking????
Posted By: RVG#2 Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 02/19/14 03:30 AM
George L, I know I am responding to an old post but recently came across it since its in regards to my father the late Virgil Graham. To clarify his cause of death, he did not pass as a result of improper ventilation from painting a Porsche. He unfortunately at the young age of 63 passed as a result of a brain disease that he fought for over a year 1/2 believing it was a pin stroke initially. I cared for my father the entire time of his illness and was at his bedside at Hospice when he passed. I understand you may have been misinformed but please make sure you know for sure before posting for the respect of my father and his legacy. Thank you for your kind words in regards to my fathers work as a firearms engraver. He was quite talented. I an artist not in steal but in murals feels quite proud to carry on his artistic legacy, he was very proud.
Posted By: GaryW Re: Parker Invincible For Sale - 02/19/14 03:55 AM
The three known Parker Invincibles are in the NRA museum...They recently turned down an offer of 5 million dollars for the three guns. I think these were the only Parkers ever built with sideclips....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com