doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dubbletrubble Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 09:16 PM
A customer brought this to me today and I am stumped as to what model this is. I would be much obliged if you all could give me some insight. It is marked #14033 and has a 2 over a 12 along with patent dates on the water table. The last patent date is 03/08/1898. Here are some pictures.

Posted By: M D Christian Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 09:58 PM
Grade 2, 12 bore Crass Model Made in the 1890-91 period.. Where's Walt... MDC
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 10:10 PM
MD, you got it! Probably Loy engraved. The 26 inch barrels have finally been cleaned and fitted. Gunter will complete the total restoration by T-Day. It will be a pretty good marriage. Pictures to you when I get it. Thanks again!
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sure the owner will be thrilled. Is there a way to confirm the engraver?
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 10:53 PM
Is there any more to the gun? Looks like Loy, Loy was the man during this era, or, just tell him I said so---
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 11:05 PM
Oh yeah Walt I have the whole gun. Very nice crolle' type barrels. I think the wood was done before as it has a grip, well no cap, but a strange curve to the end of the pistol grip. Never seen anything like that before. The floor plate is heavily engraved with a spiral, nautilus looking design. Schnable type of end on the forend that is finished in horn.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/28/08 11:13 PM
Glad it is all there. If the grip is finished in kinda a lazy 'S' curve, it is probably factory as I have had a few finished that way. I think it is really neat! I presume you are restoring it?
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/29/08 12:10 AM
Yes lazy S you got it. It is a bit "aged" but savable. Yes it is here to be reborn.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/29/08 12:37 AM
Total restoration by Thursday? That Gunter is some gunsmith. Walt, you told me he was behind in his work.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/29/08 12:47 AM
Bill, Turkey Day that is. Gunter has had this one a while but soon to return to NC.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/29/08 03:38 AM
Walt,

Is that the 16 we split up and put back together?

Rob
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Old Ithaca Help - 10/29/08 08:14 AM
Hello Rob,
It is done but still at Gunter's. All will be picked up just before Thanksgiving. Can't wait! Photos to you then.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com