doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ghostrider Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 04:15 AM
I am looking for any information others may have on the Iver Johnson Skeet-er SXS. I own a Skeet-er 16 gauge S/N 26624. It is configured with 28" barrels, choked SK/SK, DT, Straight stock, BTFE, Case colored. Would like to know year of manufacture, are there factory records, number produced and other pieces of information. Until this purchased had never realized Iver Johnson produced such a nice gun. The wood appears to be very nice English Walnut.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 04:31 AM
Phillip,
The Skeeter is a nice looking gun and very little about them is written. In good condition they bring a fair amount and lately on a few auction sites there has been some activity with Skeeters in the smaller guages.
I have a 16 ga Hercules with ejectors and can't find any information about them, my serial number is half of yours and I believe mine is from the late 20's early 30's.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 06:15 AM
I've never seen one with English Walnut in the stock or forend. The 16 gauge seems to be a bit scarce.
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 01:32 PM
The 16 bore Skeeter is scarce, But the case colored frame is really rare..MDC
Posted By: Bob Beach Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 02:08 PM
Phillip,

Bill Goforth, who wrote the book on Iver Johnson firearms, told me that most of the old factory records were given up during WWII paper drives or lost when the company downsized and again in later moves. The Abercrombie & Fitch sales records do list several Skeet-er's but not the serial number that you listed. The closest number in the records is 27097 which was received in inventory in 1940, so you might take that year as an approximate year of manufacture. Several of the Skeet-er's that I've seen do have very nice wood on them.

By the way, Bill Goforth regularly posts on The Firearms Forum.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com
Posted By: Researcher Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/12/08 02:33 PM
The factory paper from the years the Skeet-er was made state "stocks are of selected fancy figured Black Walnut, lacquer finished and beautifully checkered by hand."
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/16/08 03:49 AM
Thanks for the information. It really is a great looking gun. I am quit sure the stock is English walnut, but will have someone more knowledgeable then myself have a look.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/16/08 01:58 PM
Phillip, Sounds like a very nice gun! Some pics would be fun.

Don't sweat the wood's DNA, I've got claro blanks that look as english as Big Ben - good wood is good wood.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Iver Johnson Skeet-er - 11/16/08 02:27 PM
I saw a high condition 16 gauge double trigger, ejector Skeeter at a show yesterday. It had a replacement buttplate on a flat butt. It could be reconfigured to a curved butt and IJ plate and still be 14". It was priced at $3795. Who knows? Someone may pay it, or close to it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com