doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: grogel Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 02:42 PM
Anybody know anything about this fella?

Posted By: James M Re: Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 04:07 PM
From the picture it's apparent that his expertise is in checkering. Possibly an independent contractor? Anyone have access to a Boston directory for this time period 1936-1937?
I just did an internet check and the Boston city directories for those years are available on microfische so should be viewable at any major library in the Boston area. Anyone feel like doing some sleuth work?
Jim
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 04:23 PM
I don't know about the 1930s Census but I would bet he is the son, although listed as a daughter, of Frederick G. Doell(
DOELL Frederick G. ma 38 head mrd gunmith GERMANY, found here in the Boston 1880 Census(1/4 up from the bottom), http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mvreid/bgrc/bo80wa21.html , and a close relative of the German gunsmiths Franz & Hugo Doll(o with double dot) of Zella-Mehlis during the 1930s.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Phail Re: Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 04:54 PM
I'm think he worked with William Schaefer in Boston in his
early years. Bet Mr Petrov has more info on him.
Reguards
Bill McPhail
Posted By: James M Re: Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 08:57 PM

Quote:
"I don't know about the 1930s Census but I would bet he is the son, although listed as a daughter, of Frederick G. Doell"

Raimy:
I am basing my dating on the written in date of May 26,1937 at the bottom of the picture of F.Doell above. I suspect you've found a link though.
Jim
Posted By: PeteM Re: Frederick Doell - 12/02/08 10:05 PM
grogel,

Here you go.

1880 US Census. Frederick H Doell, born in Boston, was the son of German born gunsmith Frederick G Doell.

His WWI draft registration card.

1924 Boston City Directory ad.

WWII draft registration card. Notice the work address has changed.

According to the Boston city directory, he and his father worked out of 61 Elm Boston until about 1883.

Pete
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Frederick Doell - 12/03/08 12:26 AM
As I said in my earlier post I remember the name but it took me some time to dig it out. The chief action filer was Frederick G. Doell at Schaefers. Schaefers address was 61 Elm Street.

Schaefer early (1853) address was 11 Dock Square.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com