doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tudorturtle NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/09/08 06:01 PM
Looking at BTFE designs and found this expensive example on a Field Grade 28 ga w/ejectors.

Original Ithaca design or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Researcher Re: NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/09/08 06:51 PM
That certainly appears to be a correct configuration beavertail for a post-1935 Ithaca. The earlier NID beavertails were short and fat but when they dropped the cocking indicators and went to the new style Field Grade they also changed the forearm fastening from just a Deeley to a Baker-Style J-Spring for the extractor guns and a combination of the Baaker-style J-Spring and a tilting block Deeley lever actuated forearm lock a-la-Parker Bros.

Here are some pics of original Ithaca beavertails from 1930 and 1936 Grade 4Es --

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/09/08 08:06 PM
100% correct. Are you serious about buying?? If not I am.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/09/08 10:41 PM
Walt,
I'm not going to buy that 28. I like everything about the gun but it's way out of my league...just looking at Ithaca BTFE's to copy. I have to cover 2 monkey's college before playing the small gauge/high condition/field grade/American doublegun game. I'm very glad there's 12 ga guns that are in my budget.

Researcher,
Thank you very much, your photos are a great help, and those vent rib guns are really something.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/10/08 02:50 AM
Why do they have to have buggered ever screw on a gun? Is there so school to teach stupid to "gunsmiths"? Use the right tool or leave it alone.

Walt does the fore end letter? I am sure that you do agree that it is original or you would not be interested in the gun.
Posted By: PeteM Re: NID beavertail FE - Original ? - 12/10/08 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
100% correct. Are you serious about buying?? If not I am.
Walt,

I had the chance to look at that one close up a few weeks ago. The pictures are accurate. If it has been messed with, I could not tell. You would be a much better judge. I had the impression they are hurting in the fine gun room. But the deer season was just around the corner and everyone was busy with slug guns. The gent that runs it at Hoffman used to have his own shop and is well known in the area. If he has the room, he will deal.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com