doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Mann Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 08:31 PM
I took a couple of pictures of the action of my "new" Lindner Daly today and I thought I would share. The stock is off the gun for a face-lift and I thought while I had it off I would remove 100 years of hardend oil and make it pretty again. The photos really don't show the quality of polish that the parts have and I'm getting some interesting overtones of red etc from my camera but at least you get the idea. The pictures do show the intercepting sears and the very small clearance between them and the main sears. Although the pictures don't show it well the engraving is still very crisp. You can also see the original color case on the inside of the trigger guard, it's the only place that still has color.

An interesting side note is that when I removed the hard as a rock Mershon pad I found a star shaped stamp with an "S" in the middle stamped in the end of the butt stock. Stockmakers stamp?

Posted By: Sliver Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 09:44 PM
Doug,

The action is as beautiful on inside as on the outside. Which ones are the intercepting sears?
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Posted By: James M Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 10:02 PM
Hey Doug:
Please plan on posting some "after" pictures when you have this Daly refreshed. I supect it will be in the "Keeper" category.
Jim
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 10:20 PM
Hey...if Mr. Mann didnt keep his last Lindner Daly..what makes you think he'll keep this one?? :-)

Truly a gorgeous gun...and your right Doug..the polishing is amazing along with the engraving, beautiful!

Dustin
Posted By: Twister'sPa Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 10:26 PM
Truly a work of gun craft art, and thanks for posting.
Please elaborate as to "how" you removed the 100 years
of hardened oil.
Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: dogon Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/30/08 11:21 PM
Doug, You told me your Daly was nice inside, but I had no idea. Thanks for posting these great pictures. What a treat!
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 01:03 AM
Great photos Doug - thanks for posting.

The fit and finish of these guns is really tremendous.

Please continue to post updates as the project progresses.

Ken
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 01:55 AM
The truly amazing thing about the Lindner Daly's is that they're all that nice inside. Probably been discussed before but worth bringing up again. Even the lowest grades were mirror polished inside. They're a bear to get back together when completly dis-assembled.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 02:15 AM
Silver, the intercepting sears are hanging from the screw/pin at the top of the action. Their purpose as I understan it is to keep the hammer(s) from falling if the gun were to be dropped etc. The trigger must raise both sear noses in order for the hammer to fall. Many very fine shotguns have been manufactured without intercepting sears but it's a nice saftey feature all the same.

I use lacquer thinner to remove old varnish/hardened oil. There may be other better ways to do it but I always have lacquer close at hand so that's what I use.

Ken, could you, when you have a moment, email me a copy of your data sheet for Dalys. I lost the one you sent me a few years back in a computer swap. I'm fairly certain you don't have this one in your database because I don't think it has seen the light of day in over thirty years.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 02:40 AM
Doug, it's amazing how graceful, almost sensuous the internal design is. I'm anxious to have a peek at the inside of my new 16 bore Diamond grade--if it's anywhere near as nice as yours I'll be thrilled. Do keep the board updated on your discoveries.
Posted By: Dennis Wolfe Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 02:59 AM
Doug, she's a beauty. I will look forward to seeing the finished product.
Posted By: jameister Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 05:12 AM
Mr Doug Mann: its been a while, but its nice to see you are still practicing internal medicine.

Jameister in Colorado
Posted By: jameister Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 05:12 AM
Mr Doug Mann: its been a while, but its nice to see you are still practicing internal medicine.

Jameister in Colorado
Posted By: Philbert Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 01:15 PM
An absolutely beautiful mechanical work of art! Looking forward to the pics of the finished product.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 02:44 PM
Doug, what are the barrels like? Anywhere as nice as the ones you sent to Bob?

Thanks,

sv
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 03:01 PM
Regarding the internal mechanisms, all grades are just works of art in addition to being ingenious designs. It maybe semantics, and I may have it incorrect, but I thought the lower catch bar to be the intercepting scear, which is released 1st and then the overhanging scear to release the hammer. In addition to the safety aspect when dropped, a boxlock possessing the upper and lower scears, if in proper working order, all but guarantees that the possiblity of doubling is negated.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 03:23 PM
Steve, the barrels on this gun are nowhere nere as nice as the ones on Bob's gun. These barrels are Krupp steel because the gun is circa 1907. They are very nice however. They had a slight amount of pitting that I removed with the Sunnen hone. They cleaned up with someting less than .002 of metal removal and look like mirrors inside. I still have .034 of minimum wall thickness so they should be ok for anything that I want to use in a 6lb 5oz shotgun. I will be rebluing the barrels this spring but that is all I plan to do for restoration on the old girl.

Raimey, you may be correct about the sears, both sear tails appear to move at the same time. The inside sear does have a much heavier spring than the hanging sear.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 05:24 PM
Steve, to assist Doug with the answer to your question, there are no barrels like the barrels on Doug's ex-Lindner. Doug could probably write a book about those barrels as could I. I owned the gun and found the barrels to be like none I had seen before. Doug has pictured the ex-Lindner many times on the internet, but has never fully explained the barrels. Maybe he would give it a try. Or maybe the new owner would do it for us.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Steve, to assist Doug with the answer to your question, there are no barrels like the barrels on Doug's ex-Lindner. Doug could probably write a book about those barrels as could I. I owned the gun and found the barrels to be like none I had seen before. Doug has pictured the ex-Lindner many times on the internet, but has never fully explained the barrels. Maybe he would give it a try. Or maybe the new owner would do it for us.

Here's another pic of the #1 set I took in October along with Doug's photo of the #2 set. I have a serious Jones for that gun.

HTH, sv

Posted By: eightbore Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 07:05 PM
The first set pictured are the deeply etched bird barrels which, when mounted on the gun, make a short and lively bird gun. The second pair pictured are the wildfowl or pigeon barrels, not etched, very heavy, larger in diameter at the breech than the breech balls, and engraved along the surface that protrudes from the balls. Both are beautiful but the etched barrel are just outstanding.
Posted By: jim bledsoe Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 07:16 PM
Doug, I continue to be impressed by this gun!
Posted By: steve voss Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
The first set pictured are the deeply etched bird barrels which, when mounted on the gun, make a short and lively bird gun. The second pair pictured are the wildfowl or pigeon barrels, not etched, very heavy, larger in diameter at the breech than the breech balls, and engraved along the surface that protrudes from the balls. Both are beautiful but the etched barrel are just outstanding.

Those etched barrels just glow in any light.

sv
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Lindner Daly action photos - 12/31/08 09:29 PM
Mr. Steve, I would love to receive a set of your pictures of that frame up close so I can study the engraving --- please. ken .... kenhurst at suddenlink.net
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com