doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: EDM Hoover's "hornswagled" Parker DGJ - 04/06/09 03:43 PM
No one in the history of the "Old Reliable" Parker Gun has ever parlayed a single shotgun into more research, documentation, and well-written words than the PGCA's resident rocket scientist Richard Hoover. I commend his recent two-part article in the current and past-quarterly issues of The Double Gun Journal. Richard has done his homework to the 3rd power and injected an element of drama into what could have been, in less skillful hands, just another information drop. A must read for all students of the old double guns; Parker-centric, Yes! But also an informed historical retrospective of how the seminal American-made breech-loading shotguns and related ammunition--especially 11-gauge--evolved in the late 1860s and early 1870s. Two hammers up! EDM
An excellent job of research, for sure. But, don't discount the fact that it was a top grade, with many clues left through time. No doubt, just about every Trojan or Vulcan has a similar story that is simply lost.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: GregSY Re: Hoover's "hornswagled" Parker DGJ - 04/06/09 04:13 PM
I disagree to an extent. The research is good, for sure. The article itself seems to state the same thing about 7 times. It also could be deemed, if a person were so inclined, as an effort at puffery. As I read the article I kept waiting for a stunning denouement that never came. It's a neat gun with an interesting history but then a lot of Parkers fall into that category.
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Hoover's "hornswagled" Parker DGJ - 04/06/09 08:56 PM
EDM, I also enjoyed the Article and story very much. Other guns probably did have just as interesting pasts but the info was lost or never told. Not so with this gun, a very cool story and unusual gun.
Jeff G.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Hoover's "hornswagled" Parker DGJ - 04/06/09 09:47 PM
Haven't seen a copy yet, I'll have to check the bookstore and see if they're in yet.

EDM, are you back in Illinois yet?

Destry
Posted By: anthony Re: Hoover's "hornswagled" Parker DGJ - 04/09/09 03:23 PM
I also enjoyed Mr. Hoover's article very much. The history was very interesting and he is a great researcher. Sounds like he also found out more about his family history, which would be an added bonus. I love the personal side of these old guns. I have had the privilege of visiting with Mr. Hoover on the phone and he is a true gentleman.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com