doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: redhawk44 Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 01:30 PM
Back in the 50s when I was a kid, the Shooters Bible of the day featured a line of shotguns called the Zephyr.

There were a variety of double barreled guns and a single barrel trap gun called the "Vandalia" and a single barrel 10 ga. gun called the "Honker."

Do any of you fellas know of a source of information on these guns? I have been looking for one of the trap guns and also one of the 10 ga. guns on the used market, but to no avail.

Also, if anyone knows, were these guns of good quality? They were priced medium high for those days.
Posted By: Thurston Howell III Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 01:55 PM
I believe the Zephyr SxS were Spanish, and possibly Victor Sarasqueta. Have never seen one, but they seem to have a reasonably good reputation.

Pete
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 02:07 PM
My friend has a Stoeger-imported 12ga box lock marked Zephyr; it is indeed made by Victor Sarasqueta. Pistol grip, beaver tail, I think single trigger but I can't remember for sure. Some sort of crude game bird engraving. It seems a decent gun; he likes it. Don't know if this is the same gun you're speaking of.

Fin
Posted By: PeteM Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 02:12 PM
In the 1947 issue there are graphics. They mention contracting an unnamed Belgian firm to make them. In the 1948 issue they don't mention Belgium, but state they will not be available from Europe until the summer of '48.

The top of the line Zephyr o/u is listed at $225 in '47 and at $600.00 '48. In '47 they show sxs and double rifle Zephyr's, these are not in the '48 catalog. In '47 a Lefever Nitro lists for $57, a Fox CE grade for $236, an Ithaca 4E for $227 and an Winchester 21 Skeet for $203.

You can pick up the Shooter's Bible for a few dollars on eBay.

Pete
Posted By: eightbore Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 03:04 PM
The 1947 issue Zephyrs from Belgium are different from the later Spanish Zephyrs. The Honker and the Vandalia were hardly overpriced, even for the mid to late fifties when they were listed in Stoegers. I think the non ejector sidelock Honker was $125.00. I have seen a couple of Honkers listed for sale in the last few years, never a Vandalia. As I remember, the Vandalia was about $198.00. One of the gun sites, probably this one, had threads discussing the Honker and the Thunderbird, a double ten also from Sarasqueta. The Thunderbird was an ejector sidelock for $228.00. I would kill for a Honker, but have little hope of finding one. I think the Honker had a 36 inch barrel.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 03:05 PM
The 1962 Gun Digest lists the Zephyr under Foreign Shotguns. Available models were the Pinehurst ($158), Woodlander ($108), Uplander ($158), and Upland King ($218 with sideplates, SST, AE, Vent Rib, and 'a fully engraved action.') Imported by Stoeger but no mention of the manufacturer.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 04:29 PM
Local shop has a Stoeger Uplander for sale, indeed a Sarasqueta.
Posted By: redhawk44 Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
The 1947 issue Zephyrs from Belgium are different from the later Spanish Zephyrs. The Honker and the Vandalia were hardly overpriced, even for the mid to late fifties when they were listed in Stoegers. I think the non ejector sidelock Honker was $125.00. I have seen a couple of Honkers listed for sale in the last few years, never a Vandalia. As I remember, the Vandalia was about $198.00. One of the gun sites, probably this one, had threads discussing the Honker and the Thunderbird, a double ten also from Sarasqueta. The Thunderbird was an ejector sidelock for $228.00. I would kill for a Honker, but have little hope of finding one. I think the Honker had a 36 inch barrel.

Yes, the Honker was 125 and it did have a 36" barrel. The Vandalia was 198 for the extractor mosel and 228 for the ejector (1960).

Like you, I would love to have a crack at one or both of these guns, but I have never seen one offered for sale--that is after I got to where I could afford one.....
Posted By: PeteM Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 06:48 PM
Well, here is a "honker". I have no connection to this auction. It seems a tad pricey to me.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976802732.htm

Pete
Posted By: eightbore Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 07:07 PM
Price high, pictures bad, description vague, no sale.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 08:53 PM
Someone had one of these for sale a few months ago on our own BBS for sale section. Price was a bit better than the Gunsamerica listing...Geo
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 09:16 PM
It's overpriced by at least $1000, IMO and dishonestly described. Recut checkering and unfitted recoil pad is not "stock 100% as new"! The recheckering suggests it has been shot to death. Can't imagine shooting many 10 ga. goose loads out of a 9 t0 9-1/2 lb. gun. (seller doesn't even know what it weighs).
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/28/06 09:20 PM
Stoeger kept the Zephyr name, but did indeed change makers from Belgian (probably Masquelier) to Spanish (Victor Sarasqueta)--most likely because there was a better market for lower priced guns.

The top end of the Stoeger Zephyr line of Sarasqueta-made guns (such as the Upland King) were true sidelocks. Pretty decent guns from all discussions I've read and examples I've seen, although they were neither Sarasqueta's nor Spain's "best".
Posted By: gt90 Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/29/06 03:16 AM
I have a mid-50's Sarasqueta Stoeger Zephyr Model 4E sidelock in 28 gauge. I've enjoyed it and continue to shoot it without problems. Only complaint is a heavy trigger.
Posted By: tw Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/29/06 03:34 AM
gt90,

The pulls can be fixed by any competent doublegun gunsmith that routinely works on sidelocks. There are members here who can point you to a good person in your area. Try 4.5 & 3.5 pounds pull if it has double triggers and 4~4.5 pounds for a single. You will be amazed how much more enjoyable your gun will become. Do it NOW ;-)
Posted By: foxhound Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/29/06 12:42 PM
I own 4 Zephyrs ; a 12ga 3 inch 6HD sidelock ( older nicer version of the Thunderbird model) with 30 inch barrels,awesome duck and goose gun, a 28ga Sterlingworths sidelock, a 20 ga. boxlock Woodlander II, and 12 ga. Sterlingworth boxlock with 26 inch barrels. I love these guns. All made by Victor Sarasqueta , the 6HD by far the hightest quality but the rest very nice quality for the money. Find a good one, enjoy, and save a few bucks !
Rick
Posted By: Carl Regier Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/29/06 10:20 PM
I think I paid about $400 for my Woodlander Zephyr a few years ago. Not a fine gun, but a good shooter for someone it fit (not me).
Posted By: gt90 Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/30/06 02:27 AM
tw,

I took the gun last summer to a smith to lighten the pulls. They're better, but I can still just hold the cocked gun by the front trigger with my finger without tripping it. If I pull up on it slightly, it trips, and so the pull is a bit more than the weight of the gun. The smith said he went as far as he could, but that something about the locks being not the best was such that he was concerned about going further without doing damage. His explanation was more detailed, but I don't remember it. As you can see, I'm no smith, and so the explanation did not mean much to me. I do agree with you, though - it's a good gun, but I would like the pulls to be lighter.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/30/06 12:34 PM
If your smith couldn't get the pulls lighter than the gun, you smith has "limitations" and shouldn't be working on double barrel shotguns.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/30/06 07:00 PM
I have a 10 ga. Honker that is in near mint condition. 36" vent rib,full choke, original pad and 98 % original finish.The gun listed on GunsAmerica has definitely been monkeyed with.The original reciever metal finish is silver or "in the white".One of my old Shooters Bibles listed it as a custom order with a 3 month wait far delivery. The gun will light you up when using 3 1/2" mags. It's pretty entertaining to shoot 12 ga target loads using Guage Mates. On one trip to the club skeet fields I took a 32" Broadway, a 34" Frigon, the 36" Honker and my 40" Marlin pump.All my buddies had a go at it.The Marlin posed the biggest problems for everyone. Plenty of disparaging comments flying around just like the missed clays!!

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: JayCee Re: Zephyr shotguns - 11/30/06 07:51 PM
Gt90, I would definitely look for a real gunsmith. Especially having had your gun tampered
with by the mentioned "professional"! JMTC

JC(AL)
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com