doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LeFusil Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/13/09 07:07 PM
Just got these barrels back from my barrel browner....he did another outstanding job. It really makes the gun look alot better, the damascus contrast really "pops" and the polishing is fantastic. Really makes this old 10 bore T. Woodward spiral spring stand out in a rack of guns.

Forgive my poor quality pics, I could not get the glare to shed...the barrels and gun look much better in person.

Posted By: Bill G. Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/13/09 07:16 PM
Dustin, don't you own any ugly guns? That is really nice re-brown. Who does you work?

Bill G.

PS. The Ideal is doing great. I am glad the Churchhill went fast it really had me and another guy I know thinking.
Wow, beautiful work.
Not to hijack your thread, but I've always kind of wondered if the T. Woodward spiral spring design
was influenced by the MF Ideal or vice-versa. They kind of share the same external lines, but don't
really know if they have any real similarities internally.
Forgive me if this has already been discussed.
-Jim
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/13/09 07:40 PM
Bill,
You own one of the nicest Ideals in this country, I havent seen another one like it. Out of all the guns I've sold over the years...I miss that one the most.

I think the Woodward spiral spring action was a little before the Ideal came along. The Ideal is also a trigger plate gun that also incorporate a rising bit, the spiral spring action is pretty unique, I should pop the locks and post a pic of the guts, rather ingenious, simple, well made and strong.

Dustin
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/13/09 07:51 PM
Very, very Nice.

yes.......... tell us who is your browner?

H&H
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/14/09 05:52 AM
Dustin those are amazing.......almost a 3D quality to the browning! The only ones I've ever seen to compare were at the old WR Agency in Springfield many years ago and they were done in a stunning black and white. I believe they were done by Missourian Buck Hamlin.
They look like the ones Buck did for me.
Posted By: CFWs Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/14/09 04:09 PM
Getting pics that represent the true color of the barrels is very hard. My pics are no better than Dustin's but this one gives an idea of the true color.

Dustin has one fine shotgun there!

Hi guys nice browners I agree its hard to show the true colour of the barrels, I am no expert with cameras but this is how I do mine, my camera has a macro setting which allows you to take up close photos, I then lay a white sheet down on the workshop table situated under lighting, I prop the barrels on there side and then take the photo its the closest I can get to showing the right colour.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/14/09 04:38 PM
I really think this gun is extremely unique. Its just a bit different from other spiral spring Woodwards I've seen. I am going to order a set of gaugemates for the gun to help make it somewhat economical to shoot at the clays range. This gun feels more like a heavy 12 bore upland gun in the hands and less like a 10 bore heavy fowler. Here's a couple more pics of the gun..

Before the re-brown...

Some unique features...
Well done heel and toe plates

Unique "rolling" safety...possibly the most ergonomic safety ever..

Very nice forend release metal...the inletting is fantastic

And the neatest thing on the gun in my opinion...the little storage compartment for extra springs and strikers...and guess what??.....They are still in there!! Brand new, the strikers and springs are beautifully fire blued and in perfect condition...Paul Hodgins took the "plug" out and fully expected not seeing anything in there and when the extra bits dropped into his hands, he looked at me with astonishment! Just couldnt believe that the bits were still in there after all these years.
Posted By: CFWs Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/14/09 04:48 PM
Thanks Paul. That gives me an idea the next time around.
I have a set of Lancaster barrels that I need to get pics of, and a few black and white jobs that should be outstanding when I get them complete.

Craig
Posted By: reb87 Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/15/09 01:14 PM
Dustin that is a very cool gun. Does the "extra strikers plug" thread into wood or steel?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Freshly browned T. Woodward barrels.. - 05/18/09 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: reb87
Dustin that is a very cool gun. Does the "extra strikers plug" thread into wood or steel?

Hey Ross, its threaded into the wood, no metal sleeve in there, just a hole bored into the stock.
So all we're missing is a picture of the strikers!

Next time you're in his shop, tell Paul that Lorin's friend Mike says hello.
I found this thread while looking for information on a T. Woodward spiral spring 12 bore that I picked up a little while back. Mine is in rougher shape than LeFusil's and I'm considering having it fixed up. The metal is in pretty good shape but the stock is a poor replacement and has to go, so no cool extra strikers. The metal forend tip is missing, but the inletting is the same as LeFusil's.
LeFusil,the rib inscription on mine is T. Woodward, Express Gun Works,Birm. and the serial #is 281. On the edge of the locks there is a use number stamped, 832 and 831 I think it was. It has London proofmarks, 13 bore and 14 muzzle on each, and not for ball on both. Would anyone know the approximate date of manufacture? This one doesn't have a doll's head extension. There is more engraving on it as well. This is the first one I've seen. Is that what other Woodwards you have seen looked like? I was also wondering in what regard the spiral spring guns were held back in the day. I'll get some pictures and post them. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
The proof marks date the gun to 1875 to 1887 and I doubt that you will get much closer than that, all records being lost to the best of my knowledge. The patent is no 651 of 1876 so that removes another year. My Crockart example in stock is numbered 391, which could easily be a Woodwards seriel number, and carries the same 1875-1887 proof marks so arguably yours could be from earlier than latter in the proof span. You can view it on http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Crockart%20SLNE/Crockart%20SLNE%20Details.htm.
Thanks for the link and info, Toby. It was nice to see what this one should look like. The design is the same as yours, including the shape of the lever. The barrels are 30".
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com