doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gerry Addison Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/13/09 02:15 AM
I have an Orvis double barrel 20 gauge that say Ovis K.H.P. Best Grade on the bottom of the receiver. It also says "Made in England" on the bottom of the barrels. Can anyone tell me who made the gun and what it might be worth? Gerry, esetter5@roadrunner.com
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/13/09 03:18 PM
I have seen one before, it was all blued. I beleive it is a Webly and Scott
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/13/09 05:23 PM
That is what I was told when I bought it but I can see no identification on it.
Posted By: Chicago Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/13/09 09:48 PM
Gerry:
I thought more folks would have weighed in on this, but they still should. I don't believe you will see anything that identifies W&S on the gun, but I could be wrong on that.

Chicago Mike
Cabelas just sold a 20g boxlock that was made in Birmingham and retailed by Abercrombie & Fitch. It looked a lot like a Webley & Scott to me.

I think it was real nice with a lot of original condition. I can't remember what they were asking - $3500. It was gone pretty quickly.

OWD
Posted By: Chicago Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/14/09 03:34 AM
Gerry:
If you are looking for a educated opinion on value you will need to post pictures.

I have seen the Model 700 Webley & Scott 20's for $4,000 to $6,900 depending on condition. The $6,900 was for a NIB gun. I don't know how the Orvis guns compared to the Model 700. I don't think W&S has made the Orvis guns since the 60's or so and I think that era was better than the later W&S 700's.
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/14/09 06:51 PM
I'll get some pictures together and post them. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: QTRHRS Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/14/09 06:52 PM
Gerry,

I bought a 12ga. off the internet for about $2100. When the gun arrived the finishes were in very high condition but the gun was noticably off face and it was returned. I spoke to the seller and he said he would send it to his smith and have it put back on face. The gun came back on his auction site and sold again for a few hundred dollars more. This took place about three years ago. As a guess, I would think that a 20ga. would be about $300O.

The fun was listed in one of my older copies of the "Blue Book" which is currenly loaned out. I believe it specified 12 and 20., PG, ejt.s, ST, I think 26" barrels and made by W&S. The wood had some figure about like a 702 which was the mid grade of the 700 series. All blue.
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/15/09 12:11 AM
Here are some pictures of the gun and the specifics. It is a 20 gauge and has 26" barrels with .014 and .018 choke for IC and Mod. Prince of Whales grip, 14" LOP over very nice leather covered pad, no engraving, beautiful english walnut, single trigger. Gun has been hunted and shows impressions in the wood and some bluing wear, I would put it at 90% overall. Gun is still tight, on face, and lever right of center. Would make a great grouse gun.

Posted By: GregSY Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/15/09 01:41 AM
Nice looking gun. I was expecting a different shape on the grip given that it is a Prince of Whales type.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/15/09 01:31 PM
Revdocdrew once owned a gun with a Princess of Whales grip, but that's another story !
Posted By: QTRHRS Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/15/09 06:38 PM
Gerry,

Nice wood. My guesstimate would go up particularly if it is well matched on the other side.

I didn't remember a KHP on the one I returned but it appears that the stock oval is engraved and ends with a P. Looks like the owner's initials were engraved on the bottom plate. Some would see this as having a negative effect on value and some would not. Grouse do not read stock ovals or bottom plates. Enjoy the gun.
Posted By: Gerry Addison Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/15/09 10:39 PM
It does have initials on the plate, and the stock is very well matched. Very nice wood and it would refinish into a very pretty piece. Just don't know if it is worth investing money or if I should sell it now.
Posted By: BPGuy Re: Orvis Double Barrel Question - 06/22/09 12:37 AM
Oooooo, that's some nice looking wood!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com