doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 03:44 PM
Anyone here ever used one of these? The fixed, 4X looks like a winner for a woodland deer rifle.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 04:31 PM
nice if you like hammers. take a long and hard look at trijicon accupoint hunting scopes. looked at variable x56 30mm tube with amber tringle on post crystal clear and light as a feather. best thing since sliced bread.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 05:41 PM
And the Trijicon can't cost more than, what, $800? By "Woodland deer rifle" I meant a 30-30 lever gun used to shoot out to a maximum of 200 yards, but, usually at a lot less than 100 yards.
14 ozs, on a Marlin lever gun, with a sling, won't kill me.
Anyone use a Valdada?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 05:54 PM
It'll look nice atop your Moss'berg.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 05:56 PM
Ted:

One of the guys I work with owns a Valdada, which he has mounted atop a deer rifle. He's quite pleased with it. Thought it had excellent optical quality, particularly for the price. I don't know how they hold up (he's a once a year deer hunter), but so far it's doing everything he's asked it to do.

Not a lot of information. Hope this helps.

Rem
Posted By: Sliver Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 06:07 PM
Ted,

IOR/Valdada I believe are made in Romania with Zeiss lenses.
I have not seen a scope, but a pair of binoculars impressed me pleasantly with the clarity of the view and depths of field without straining my eyes.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 06:18 PM
To put it mildly I think they are junk when compared to a good European scope.

A buddy bought one for his custom barreled long range deer rifle.
He was trying to pinch his Penny's on a scope....he spent at least 30 minutes trying to convince me it was as good as a Swarovski, Zeiss or Schmit & Bender.
First time he looked through my 56mm Schmit & Bender he regretted his thriftiness.

If his had Zeiss lenses it was Zeiss rejects.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 08:21 PM
Hmm.
Beg to differ, no quality issues here, and I didn't think >$500 for a 4x was pinching pennies. I've been shooting mine so long the tritium has run down. Several thousand .308 rounds and all good. Ted, I'll PM you a pic. Posting it here would cause DoubleGun enforcment to wheeze, seize, and mess their dress.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 09:59 PM
It's pinching pennies when you really want a Zeiss or a Schmidt & Bender...those scopes are not in the same league as either of the above.
$500 bucks would be much better spent on a Leupold.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Yeti
Hmm.
Ted, I'll PM you a pic. Posting it here would cause DoubleGun enforcment to wheeze, seize, and mess their dress.

Might as well finish us off....
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/16/09 10:06 PM
or better yet one of them domestically assembled zeiss conquests. i did pinch my lincolns on the last one but still wanted top quality piece of equipment. ended up with new 30mm kahles helia 1,5-6x42 and have to say made wise choice in picking that now swarovski owned brand.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/17/09 04:08 AM
A few years back I got a deal on a Schmit & Bender 1.5-6 X 42 off the SWAFT Sample list $650...Had a tiny almost invisble ring mark.
Perfect power for woods gun.

Here's link to the list.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_sold=False
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/17/09 04:43 PM
You got a 56mm scope on your 30-30, jOe?

I had heard good things about the Valdada optics, but, haven't been able to lay hands on one for a look. You've seen ONE, I take it?

The scopes with "tiny ring marks" on your list sell for about $20 less than what the new, in-the-box scopes cost at Midway, etc. Per usual, we have three people posting who have had the exact opposite experience you have, or claim to have had.

I suppose in a perfect world, all scopes would be Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender, or Swarovsky, et all. This is a Marlin 30-30, used in Minnesota deer camp, at ranges typically not exceeding 50 yards, and sometimes (oftentimes, actually) as a loaner, to a younger, or new shooter. It might not get the care that someone who laid out the cash for one of the above scopes would hope for it to get. A simple, fixed power scope just makes more sense when the entire picture is studied.

56mm, high dollar European scopes have their place, but, few would argue that this is one of them.

Except you, jOe. It is to be expected, it would seem.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/17/09 07:33 PM
Hi Ted,
Sturdy scopes. Slow repairs like most Euro manufacturers. Schott glass, assembled in Romania. Have been evolving to a larger/heavier size.
No lighted reticle, which is a nice feature on a post type reticle.
I would measure between the bells, as some compact scopes lose their eye relief adjustment because the bells are so close. Makes them a PIA to mount, without combinations of extended rings.

Optically, they are very clear, but not a Swaro.
Better than the fixed power Leupy's.
It is more scope than your hunting situation requires. But you knew that.

FWIW, an older Redfield, or B&L, might match the rifle and situation more stylishly.
Posted By: shinbone Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 12:49 AM
(Not saying the Valdada isn't a good choice for the stated purpose). I always thought a Weaver K2.5 or K4 looked real fine on an American lever gun. Sort of like an American classic mounted on an American classic. Good stuff, IMHO. Plus, you can get them for pretty cheap off of fleabay.

FWIW.

--shinbone
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 02:27 AM
The only one I know of that needed repair took forever to get fixed. It was on a heavy magnum. I can't stress enough the distance between the rings, and your head position on the stock.
A bunch of complex bracketry to mount it will look silly.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 04:30 AM
Thank you, gentlemen.
Best,
Ted
PS Yeti, I can imagine the liberals scattering like roaches in the light when you uncase that particular gun of your's-truly awesome weaponry.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Thank you, gentlemen.
Best,
Ted
PS Yeti, I can imagine the liberals scattering like roaches in the light when you uncase that particular gun of your's-truly awesome weaponry.

Teddy I love it when you shower us with such visionary statements.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 02:44 PM
I love it when you go away for a while, jOe. Not as much BS to wade through. Since you haven't seen the photo in my mail, and can't see what I or Yeti are talking about, why don't you shut the hell up?

Did you notice how you were in a minority of one in this topic?

Why do you suppose that is?

You can come clean now, too-what scope does your 30-30 have on it?

I bet it ain't a 56mm Schmidt and Bender.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 03:24 PM
Ted,
An FYI, I did send it to HJ 'cause he asked I post the pic, and being a single barreled repeater it's a PM thing. For the crowd, it's nothing too serious, a Springfield SAR-3 HK-91 clone from 1991 with IOR 4x glass. It definitely does make Aunties cringe and voice concern that the gun is gonna hop up and start shooting on it's oddy noddy.

HJ neither fainted or scattered.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 03:57 PM
I stand corrected. But, isn't it interesting you have to send the photo privately, rather than simply posting it, since one particularly loud member would frown on everyone being able to see it, inspite of the scope installed being relevant to this discussion?
The PC police dwell in our own house. It sucks, too.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: JayCee Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 04:11 PM
Ted, locally PC stands for Partido Comunista. Very adequate I'd think!

JC
P.S. Would appreciate a butcher at Yeti's rifle (considered using "weapon" or "tool"
but thought it might be misconstrued).
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/18/09 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: JayCee

P.S. Would appreciate a butcher at Yeti's rifle (considered using "weapon" or "tool"but thought it might be misconstrued).

Careful there JC, I upset everybody when I referred to'em as 'infantry hardware'...Geo
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/19/09 05:59 PM
Still waiting to see the S&B 56mm scope ah-top brokeback's 30-30.

Going to guess we won't be treated to that, ahem, "sight", pardon my pun. Sorta like the invisible sleeve joint, it likely doesn't exist.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/19/09 10:10 PM

Sorry Teddy bOy I haven't owned a 30/30 since I was a teenager...can you make it out ?
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/19/09 10:16 PM
You take good pictures JOe - Looks like you shoot pretty darned good too.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/20/09 04:41 AM
You got an S&B to shoot coy dogs with? You got to be kidding.

You must think they taste excellent for the kind of cash outlay I see here.

Do you wear your silly hat when you shoot 'em?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/20/09 10:51 AM
Teddy bOy....I shoot every coyote I see when I'm hunting. Shot 3 this spring turkey hunting.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/20/09 01:18 PM
Think you need a new coat of paint on that baby j0e!
If you want to save the gamebirds - shoot chickin hawks, thems what et the birdies!
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/20/09 11:17 PM
s&b scope, vero vellini sling,.....ole' boy has some style.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 03:22 AM
And, a freezer full of dog chops too, going by the picture.

I guess if you ain't got rocky mountain bighorn sheep to use your big $$$$ scope with, blast and grill the next best thing.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 05:23 AM
The Valvada IOR's are highly regarded by the long range and precision guys at Snipershide.com. They have very respectable glass, are sturdy, but really can't be considered compact. I looked a very lightly used illuminated 4X last week for about $400. I thought it was too big for a DSA SA-58 shorty. Thinking about putting it on a M1A Scout rather than the 2.5 Scout scope it wears currently.
Leupold just started selling a 1-4X Mark AR that might work for you. It's not a big objective lense, but would probably work okay in the woods. (I grew up in the Maine woods with a 30-30 and more than a 75-100-foot shot was rare.)
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 12:59 PM
The Schmidt is sitting in Beuler rings and bases....That's a Browns Precision Kevlar stock...old Magnum Sako action (3rd safety lug)....pillar bedded. The 7mm light contoured 24" Sheilen Air gauge barrel Shoots 140 gr. Ballistic tips at 3325 fps and 160 gr. Partitions at almost 3200 fps.

She's pushing 40 years old but still gets the job done at most any range.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 01:08 PM
j0e, "she" has all the makings of a tool.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 01:10 PM
A black tOOl she is..
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 01:18 PM
Look in your make-up case for some black nail polish - "she" needs a touch-up.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 02:32 PM
Joe have one of those varmints full body mounted with a game bird in its mouth........excellant stuff!!!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT-Valdada IOR scopes. - 06/21/09 05:47 PM
I'm not into taxidermy.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com