doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: UpInMichigan OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 03:34 PM
I'm in need of a pair of shooting gloves for upland field use (with my doubles, of course). Not gloves you'd use on a range, but gloves you'd use in a typical grouse covert. Can anyone point me to someone who sells such gloves--preferably some that you've used and can recommend from experience?

Pete
Posted By: Replacement Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 04:07 PM
GripSwell, without the palm pad. Leather, good quality, good fit, not too expensive (but not cheap). I also use synthetic mechanic's gloves (like MechanixWear) for rough hunting, like ducks in flooded timber. Some brands available in camo patterns, if that matters.

GripSwell available at Ivory Beads and others. MechanixWear available from Summit Racing, Jeg's, etc.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 04:24 PM
I agree about the GripSwell gloves. They are about as good as it gets. http://www.gripswell.com/
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 04:29 PM
I had a quail hunting buddy who was a surgeon and had to keep his hands from being scratched up by our Georgia briers. He always wore right and left handed golf gloves...some years they matched...Geo
Posted By: gjw Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 04:45 PM
GripSwell, nothing more to say!

Good luck!

Greg
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 09:38 PM
Cabela's newest shooting catalog contains several styles of gloves. I have Gripswell SxS gloves and am very happy with them, as are the others, above.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 09:54 PM
I use the padded Gripswells when barrels are going to get hot, like in a flurry. Normal hunting use, including but not limited to grouse & woodcock, when insulation is not a requirement: Nike cold (or wet) weather golf gloves. Forget which they're called. They're also very good for target shooting. Best of all, they are neither very expensive nor very hard to find. Like any well-stocked sporting goods store.
Posted By: Randall Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/28/09 11:31 PM
Filson goat skins are my favorites. Thin enough to allow plenty of dexterity w/ triggers/safety/loading/etc; thick enough for SFE SxS; don't look like golf gloves!

Buy 'em tight. Good for a year - maybe more - depends on how much you shoot.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?...rentPage=family
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 12:12 AM
http://www.thegunglove.com/

These are GREAT. Washable as well. i have a pair that i have used for several seasons including a couple of trips to SA. Only wish that they made me shoot better!

CB
Posted By: Peter Weber Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 12:30 AM
I have 3 pairs of Gripswell gloves, white for summer, brown for cooler weather and an insulated pair for when its real cold, as well as the summer weight Gunglove.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 02:25 AM
I concur with the Filson but this year I am trying the Barbour G4 Sports Glove and so far I am in favor of those. But I'm curious as to how long they will last.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 02:36 AM
i use couple pairs of "power tool" gloves bought at black & decker outlet in williamsburg va for $12/pair. they have goat skin palms and breathable mesh tops.
Posted By: PA24 Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 02:36 AM
I have used for years any of the better quality baseball batting gloves, Wilson, Rawlins, Mizuno, Nike etc.....sold in various colors and in pairs only.....have much better feel and construction and leather......better ventilation....and super prices....especially on EBay........the fit is so exceptional, that you can pick up loose change from concrete surfaces.......being an ex-fighter pilot, I've also used Nomex-goatskin Navy issue pilot gloves which have the same excellent above mentioned qualities plus fireproof...but not as easy to find..and pricey for the general public when you do find them......i.e., pilot shops etc.....

Good Luck,
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 12:16 PM
Many many years ago I purchased a pair of Browning very thin leather shooting gloves. The back had a gathered elastic so you just pulled them on and did not need to fool with a velcro flap or anything else. Very very sensitive and lasted. Well, I finally wore them out a few years ago and looked around for replacement. Turns out that Bob Allen is making the same glove in two models. One is exactly like the original Browning and the other has thin insulation for colder weather. Purchased both types from Gamaliel http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=4812&cat=1508&page=1 and couldn't be happier. I haven't tried the Gripswell gloves but didn't feel the need for a swelled palm or any thing else, just a real sensitive glove. -Dick
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 01:47 PM
The only problem with batting gloves is that they usually come in singles, not pairs. The Nike golf gloves, to which I referred, come in black--which I like, because they don't show stains from blood when you're hunting. And they don't really look like typical golf gloves either. You do have the Nike "swoosh" on the Velcro fastener, but that's about it. Both inexpensive and durable.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/29/09 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick_dup1
. I haven't tried the Gripswell gloves but didn't feel the need for a swelled palm or any thing else, just a real sensitive glove. -Dick

Not that you are, but remember the old saying "don't knock it until you've tried it". Believe me , they are sensitive.
Posted By: zwego Re: OT: Shooting Gloves for Field Use - 06/30/09 01:57 AM
I always shoot with gloves, mostly now at clays, and have for since I began shooting. I first started with unpadded handball gloves which work very well but I didn't care for the velcro wrap around strap. I found that baseball gloves have a similar feel, provide excellent mobility and they can be found very inexpensively at the end of the baseball season (which is close to the opening of hunting season). In addition to these gloves, I have also used thin deerskin work gloves which fit very well but don't move quite as well as the baseball gloves - but are probably much more rugged.
Z
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com