doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Noble Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/02/09 04:26 PM
Hello
I have to go to Erie Pa for work and Im planning on taking a side trip to Buffalo Ny. What is there to see or do in that area?
Bob
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/02/09 04:48 PM
I went to college in Buffalo so most of saw and did I can't tell you about. I was not really into doubles back then so I am not really familar with any gun shops to visit. One thing to see though is Niagra Falls. It is an amazing site. I'd make the time to go if I were in the area.

Bill G.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/02/09 06:56 PM
Buffalo was once one of the the most prominent cities in the country. I'm not sure that much is left though....but certainly Forest Lawn Cemetery is worth driving though. There's a place near the airport called Charlie the Butcher's - gotta have a beef-on- weck sandwich and bread pudding there.
Posted By: DrBob Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/02/09 07:10 PM
Bob,
Niagara Falls is best seen from the Canadian side. If you cross the border its not that far to Fort Erie. Lots of old muskets and they even have live re-enacrments at times.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/02/09 08:30 PM
Bob:

There's a very nice museum in Erie dedicated to the "Niagra" and the War of 1812 and at least one small, but reasonably nice, art museum. The tip of that spur of Pennsylvania is Presque Isle Park and it's an impressive place to see the waves hitting the breakwaters if the wind is blowing.

Don't waste your time on the ecology center at the entrance to Presque Isle Park. It's designed for kids.

Rem
Posted By: Kutter Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/03/09 05:17 AM
Don't forget your passport if you plan on crossing over to the Canadian side.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/03/09 12:50 PM
Bob, if you fish, Erie is a great place, however if you're single, Erie is a really great place!!!
The wineries, I believe are also abundant in that area of New York!!
Posted By: 12ette Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/03/09 03:00 PM
Lived in Buffalo for a bit, glad to be gone (7/20/09). Worst city I have lived in, and I am counting 2 3rd world countries on the list.

The falls are a bit north(ish) worth a trip if you have time. Ft Niagara is nice too. Niagara Falls the city is a tourist hell hole, depressed and ugly.
Buffalo Gun Center has a lot of guns, not many of note as I recall but many.
Harry's on the Harbor has a great lunch and supper. Bananas Foster on the menu.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/04/09 01:33 AM
If you cross the border, a $10 beer and a peek at the Canadian National Ballet can be uplifting.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/04/09 03:23 AM
When a student at SUNY-Buffalo I was told that the closest city was Toronto ON. Canada is nice country and you can buy Cuban products there.
Posted By: keith Re: Erie Pa.......Buffalo Ny - 08/04/09 03:37 AM
There's a number of interesting historical sites about 40 miles southeast of Erie. There's Drakes well park and museum at the site of the first drilled oil well... old rigs, derricks, large hit and miss engines still pumping Pennsylvania crude. A few miles from there is the oil boom ghost town of Pithole, and a little to the north over Kinzua creek is the remains of the Kinzua viaduct, what was the highest railroad bridge in the world. Over half of it was brought down by a tornado about 10 years ago. It was over 300 feet high and very impressive considering the tools and technology they had over 100 years ago. This area was once to the world what Saudi Arabia is now.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com