doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: kalpich Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/07/09 11:47 AM

In looking at doubles for sale I wonder why there are so few Ithaca Classic Doubles for sale. Do their owners hold on to them forever? Or were there not many made? Those that I do see on the market look great. Do any of you guys own one?
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/07/09 12:43 PM
I own a beautiful 28 ga 4E in the newer 471XXX serial number range. There were only approximately 275 made.
Joe
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/07/09 01:19 PM
Similar story to the Hatfield Rifle Works, from what I've read, over leveraged his business, cash flow became a problem and the creditors wanted their money.
A real shame, a great gunsmith not a good businessman or, probably got some bad advice or some bad financial information from a bad source, how many times could we say that has happened.
Posted By: 23Pair Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/07/09 05:07 PM
I own 2 ICD's. They are an incredible piece of workmanship. Very nicely assembled and a nice, pointable double.

I have tried for years to find any info on number produced and in what gauge and grade to very little avail. Alot of hearsay but noone seems sure.

Who bought the remaining inventory and license?
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/07/09 07:12 PM
I don't think there was any remaining inventory; they had a hard time filling all the outstanding orders when they closed down. Dakota arms bought the assets, but could not get permission from Ithaca to use the name. The number produced was around 275, but I don't know how many were 20s and how many 28s. Gunther Pfrommer would probably be able to answer these questions. I bought an ICD trade label from him a few years ago for a hard case and he seemed very knowledgeable (he worked for the company).
Joe
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/08/09 10:39 AM
Don't forget the 410's. They made some of these in both the #470 and #471 eras. I believe total production was in the 500+ range with apx 250 of each # set
Bob Jurewicz.
Posted By: Joe Bernfeld Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles - 08/09/09 02:41 PM
I just found an article about the company closing in the July/Aug 2003 issue of Shooting Sportsman. Bob's right; it says there were approximately 500 produced (I can't remember where I got the 275 #). It also said that ICD only leased the Ithaca name from Ithaca Gun Company, so the name is still owned by them. Dakota arms was considering continuing production of the guns in a "round body version" () but that fell through since Dakota chose S.I.A.C.E. instead. The article said that when Lamboy (the owner of ICD) decided he wasn't happy with the Italian subcontractor (read Beschi), and moved the production to the US, he "underestimated the amount of money, time and engineering it would take to set up manufacturing operations in the US." A pitty since they are beautiful guns.
Joe
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com