doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Northup87 Question on differing L. C. Smith hammers? - 09/23/09 04:11 PM
I picked up and L.C. Smith 1904 0 grade hammer double, With differing hammers, and when I say differing I mean they are the same hammers standard from the company with differing knurling engraving on the tops of the hammers. The top right hammers is the standard diamond checkering while the left top hammer is a bullseye pattern of round rings increasing from smallest to largest... The design of the hammers are Identical in shape and size just the casting being different, I was just wondering if anyone else had run across this yet or maybe if it was standard on some of the L.C. 's.. Thanks A.J.
A.J. I don't believe L.C. Smith made an 0 grade hammer gun. At this time it was F Grade with other grades made upon request. You could get the F Grade in three styles of barrels.
I do believe that hammer with the bulls-eye pattern is a replacement.
There were 3 different styles of hammers since 1886 and three different styles of locks. The one used on the Syracuse line lasted into the Fulton line until at least 1898 and the newest style "C" style or Type 11 lasted till the end of production of hammer guns in the 1930's.
I have several type two hammer guns and i believe the ones that were made later have the bulls eye design on them. Bobby
Yes,the later L.C.Smith hammers have the Bulls-eye pattern. Not sure what year the change was made. My 1908 16 gauge has the Diamond checkered pattern.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com