doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cpa Leather Covered Pad - 09/27/09 11:01 PM
I bought a shotgun with a leather covered pad. I assume that these are usually installed by slitting the leather and then glueing it down after the screws are tightened. I can see no evidence of slits or that the pad was screwed on. Would it be likely that the pad was covered and then glued on? If so, how could it be removed?
Posted By: CMWill Re: Leather Covered Pad - 09/28/09 03:31 AM
A good, and traditional leather covered pad should be like any other recoil pad. It should be

1) well fit, more of an extension of the buttstock than a bulging later thought of add on and

2) it should be removable and in this case it should have leather covered plugs

Chances are its simply been wrapped in leather and glued on to the stock. If the gun fits you, you shoot it ok, you dont mind it, and if it doesnt break rule #1 all too badly, then I say leave it on and dont worry about it. Otherwise youre looking at cutting the leather off for the most part and simply chopping the pad off, through who knows what (screws, wood plugs, anything??)
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Leather Covered Pad - 09/28/09 05:07 AM
Sometimes people do glue the leather onto the pad after gluing the screws through the bottom of the pad. Then they bore out the screw holes in the stock and epoxy the screws into the stock. Until it dries, they clamp the pad on by running a clamp between the end of the receiver and the end of the pad. It could have been put on in this manner. This means that you are going to have to tear it off the best way you can. So, you might want to check it closely. Good luck.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Leather Covered Pad - 09/28/09 01:26 PM
I have used that method but I always coat the screws with release agent before bedding in the epoxy. I also note where the slits in the pad are by making a template. If I need to remove the pad I can just slit the leather and insert a screwdriver to remove the screws and pad.
Posted By: cpa Re: Leather Covered Pad - 09/28/09 02:03 PM
Thanks. I hadn't thought of epoxying the screws in. You all are a great source of knowledge. Probably not going to remove as it looks OK, but just wondered about it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com